NEW: Leica Q - Full Frame Compact with Leica M Feeling

Leica Q - Your Opinion  

627 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Leica Q interesting for you?

• I want one - where can I pre-order?
    • I'm interested, but I'll wait for tests
    • Interesting, but I want a 35mm or 50mm lens
    • Leica Q with interchangeable lenses please
    • Great supplement for my Leica M
    • Interesting but too expensive
    • Nothing for me...

Does the Q have a shutter??? :)

I nearly did not hear it :-) :ph34r:

Thank you, Satijntje. :D

That tells me all.  It must be single leaf shutter...very quiet.  Means can sync to high flash speed??

What is the body made of???

Your answer has been most helpful; I know you own one, from other posts.

Thanks and regards, Dave S

Hmmm.

I'm just surprised; that's all.

All M8, M9,M 240 owners extensively criticized the shutter-recock sound. :blink:

Yet here is a near silent shutter??? No commentary.

Is it the quiet "shhlick" of an iris shutter only?...or a metal shutter too, near the sensor plane.

Users and Owners of the Leica Q please come forward with your stories of the shutter.

Thank you and regards, Dave S

I'm an user and owner

and info on the body and shutter can easily be downloaded fm the Leica website

Edited by larsv

To JONO SLACK

Jono,

can you be so kind to answer the questions I posed above #72.

Many thanks Dave S

Hi David

Sorry to be slow on the uptake I'm in China and the Internet is decidedly tricky!

it's a leaf shutter up to 1/2000 and an electronic shutter afterwards. hopefully a firmware update could give an option of a full electronic shutter. Either way it's extremely quiet certainly the ultimate stealth machine.

• Like 1

All M8, M9,M 240 owners extensively criticized the shutter-recock sound. :blink:

I've yet to see a single post criticizing the M240 re-cock noise; in fact, the quietness may be the single most frequently discussed aspect compared to the M8/M9 platform.

Jeff

• Like 3

Hmmm.

I'm just surprised; that's all.

[

Hi David

I'm with Jeff on this one. I've not heard any complaints about the M240 shutter noise:

My son and I did a 'blind test' between the M240 and the M6 with uninterested wives who universally pronounced the M240 quieter (at 8ft distance).

Added to which "Shutter Shock" is a term which defines an issue affecting images which some mirror less cameras exhibited (Olympus E-M1 Sony A7).

Neither the M9, M8 or the M 240 suffered from this problem. the difficulty with the M9 was the noisy re-cock

All the Best

• Like 4

I've yet to see a single post criticizing the M240 re-cock noise; in fact, the quietness may be the single most frequently discussed aspect compared to the M8/M9 platform.

Jeff

"Extensively Criticized" is in both the positive and the negative.  Everyone had an opinion; thought to themselves, and expressed verbally. Each model was quieter...a positive criticism, as Leica fans deemed the shutter-recock noise so important.

cheers Dave S :)

Dear jono et al

Each new model of the Leica...I read avidly.  God knows I've never had the pleasure of seeing, yet alone operating the pleasures of an M 240.

Just my two clunky M8's.  Was totally aware of huge shutter-recock noise reduction through the series. I should have reworded it.

More to the point this Fabulous new camera, Model Q....

I'm so desperate to see a full cloudless night star sky image...just put camera on its back for T, B for10 seconds, f1.7 iso 400, focus on stars or moon.

I've so wanted such a wide field camera that has good high ISO, with a lens without coma...we want pinpricks of light, not blobs, for the very faint stars... for the marvellous night skies.

Thanks for your help everyone.  Now I'll take a Bex and have a good lie down.

cheers  Dave S

Edited by david strachan

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Q a week ago.  Have had a love/hate relationship with my  M9 for four years, including problems with the M9 sensor and thought I would not buy another Leica.  But the Leica Q has everything I every wished I had in the M9.  It is stunning.  Full manual of course but great auto when I want quick street pix.  And I mean quick, focus is almost instant, exposure mostly spot on and the EVF is amazingly good.  Electronic sensor is quiet. I could go on and on.   I cannot fault it.  Will sell my M9.

I took the pic below today.

Joe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

I bought the Q a week ago. Have had a love/hate relationship with my M9 for four years, including problems with the M9 sensor and thought I would not buy another Leica. But the Leica Q has everything I every wished I had in the M9. It is stunning. Full manual of course but great auto when I want quick street pix. And I mean quick, focus is almost instant, exposure mostly spot on and the EVF is amazingly good. Electronic sensor is quiet. I could go on and on. I cannot fault it. Will sell my M9.

Joe

That's a really fun pic, Joel!

If you sell the M9, as I did, keep your lenses. Or do what I did and get an MM as well.

• Like 1

The one thing I find pretentious about the camera is the yellow M-kitschy "28" on the lens, suggesting interchangeability that is not there - for the rest: really good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Wetzlar last week for a trip and spent a couple of hours there.

I could try the "Q" and was impressed by its comparably small size, smoothness of handling ( a mounted grip makes it much easier though) and the great performance of the bright clear display (being tested in sunlight) and the EVF.

I am saying this because I work with Olympus EM 5 which also works very well for me. But all features in terms of quick AF,VF and display are even better with the new "Q". The lens does not seem to be too wide for me. On my Canon MKII the Elmarit R 28 mm is my favourite lens, so a decision in favour of the "Q" is a very promising option for me. The AF of the "Q" is very fast. Yes, the camera has its price. But if I want a Summilux lens the price for a single might be higher than get it in bundle with the FF camera all inclusive...

The lens + new sensor seems to work perfectly: what could be seen from prints there it was clear from the center to the rim of the print. About ISO I cannot say much. But up to 6000 it should be good enough, there other companies might have better results. But being honest, I will always shoot with a tripod @ lowest ISO in landscape and city anyway. I do not need more than max 1.500 ISO. I am also not a fan of handheld movies, so these functions are of no interest for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Q is certainly intriguing but far out of my of my economic range.  I had hoped that Leica might take pity on the rest of us and produce an affordable point and shoot with a Leica pedigree and a price that was reasonable.  Perhaps next time.  I keep hoping.  

Don't forget it is a much cheaper option than the M plus lens, although I agree still expensive compared to other brands.  I have an M9 and Summlux f2 35mm and the Q is so much better in virtually every respect.   I actually find the 28mm lens more versatile than the 35mm.  My only hesitation was the fixed lens but after using the Q for the last month it is such a versatile lens for most situations and the quality is so good I can get great crops that suit most purposes other than very large blowup enlargements. My pix after one month of travelling are amazing.  Save up for it you won't regret it.  

New offerings are always a bit exciting, but this one I have not purchased yet.

I have three primary concerns on the new Q:

1)  How clear and quick is the EVF versus an OVF?  I am blessed with very sharp vision, and no EVF has matched an OVF yet.  I remember some calculations that the human eye can resolve to 500+ megapixels, so 3.6 megapixels is a big step in the right direction, but has two more orders of magnitude to go.

2)  How bad is the EVF lag?  The old motion picture standard is 24 frames per second to look smooth to vision, so that's around 41.7 milliseconds for acceptable lag.  Does anyone know what the refresh rate is on the Q EVF?  By the way, the Steve Huff demo video shows what I consider to be a very acceptable AF lag.

3)  How scratch-prone is the rear touch screen?  Is it gorilla glass or something similar?  Leica offers screen protectors for dust and scratch protection - why does the screen need protection?  Now a Q-P (not to be confused with the antique doll by a similar name) with a sapphire screen cover would address this concern.

I am always open to new technologies.  I purchased and still own the X1, but added the OVF to make the shooting experience better.  I purchased and still own the X-Vario for the great lens at a great price ($<1K CPO), but the EVF-2 is unsatisfactory for resolution and lag, and I am not the biggest fan of Frankenstein shooting (at arms length).

One last question - how does one get invited by Leica to try these new things out in other than a store setting?  Any kind of loaner program in the works?  I buy lots of Leica gear, most recently the 28 Lux and hoping for the M246 next week, so I am a potential customer, but on something with the reservations I have for the Q, I would want more experience before committing the $4K.

Eric

I bought a Q about a month ago and have been travelling since that time so lots of pix.  The EVF is fantastic the quality is great and lag is almost impeceivable. It has an optical adjustment.  I had a Fuji X100 and also have a Fuji XT10 which is supposed to be excellent EVF.  The Q eats both of these.  Try to get a lone of one before you make a decision.  If you are happy with a fixed 28mm lens then I would have no hesitation in buying the Q.  I love it.  

I bought the Q a week ago.  Have had a love/hate relationship with my  M9 for four years, including problems with the M9 sensor and thought I would not buy another Leica.  But the Leica Q has everything I every wished I had in the M9.  It is stunning.  Full manual of course but great auto when I want quick street pix.  And I mean quick, focus is almost instant, exposure mostly spot on and the EVF is amazingly good.  Electronic sensor is quiet. I could go on and on.   I cannot fault it.  Will sell my M9.

Joe

I was in a similar predicament when digital emerged as king about five years ago, and sold 2 M6's TTL and five lenses. Ultimately, wound up with Nikon 800e and two of their stellar lenses. Tested the Q this week for approximately an hour in the Leica store. Currently, on the waiting list. Although every camera may have subjective imperfections, the Q is awesome, small and versatile. End results are staggeringly compelling. Tired of lugging multiple lenses, and heavy equipment around, especially when traveling. Looking forward acquiring to the Leica Q.