Leica Q -technical/digital

For me the Q  open the way for a future M  , it will be certainly something between the Q and the M240 with  interchangeable lenses,  exactly what I am waiting for

but !!!!

M246 + 28 summilux =  12000€

Q = 4000€

Could someone explain me very slowly that I can understand ? ... 

Well, the M246 + 28 lux makes the Q look like good value ... which is a pretty old trick.

This does not interest me.

Non interchangeable lens - big fail.

Nice lens but not wide enough.

EVF is a good thing, should have been released long ago.

Will keep my M240 and Leica lenses.

Love the lenses, hate the body.

'Long ago' decent EVFs were not available.

Are there any fixed prime lens FF digital camera models with a wider lens?

dunk

Well, the M246 + 28 lux makes the Q look like good value ... which is a pretty old trick.

but it makes the M246 + 28 Summilux  =  8000€ lost for nothing , and that's exactly the point , except if you are in love for that RF things

but it makes the M246 + 28 Summilux  =  8000€ lost for nothing , and that's exactly the point , except if you are in love for that RF things

Sure, its almost senseless to pay 8000€ extra for nothing, unless you like the RF thing (I do), but at the same time its also almost just as senseless to pay 4000€ for a 28mm Fixed Lens camera (which I also like).

The Q is a relative bargin, even if it really isn't, and I expect Leica is hoping that lots of people will see it as a relative bargain too, which in some ways it is.

• Like 1

I talked to Stefan Daniel during the launch event in Munich:

Leica does not disclose who the manufacturer is - but it is not Sony (Jono says it's CMOSIS neither).

It's a sensor developed especially for the Leica Q and is fine tuned to the Summilux 28mm lens.

Andreas

Who makes the sensor? Not saying.

Who makes the lenses for the T? Not saying.

Who's feeling uneasy? Me.

If you can afford 4000 € for a Fixed Lens camera, and 12000 € for a second body   :D cool!

I am sorry but yes  :-) the Q is already pre-ordered and my 24 Summilux for sale

I keep my M for  >= 35 or  50mm

Edited by erick
  • Like 2

I am sorry but yes  :-) the Q is already pre-ordered and my 24 Summilux for sale

I keep my M for  >= 35 or  50mm

I'm thinking of selling my GR ... but its not going to help. More a symbolic gesture. And I'm only thinking ...

I'm thinking of selling my GR ... but its not going to help. More a symbolic gesture. And I'm only thinking ...

I am sure nobody can regret to buy the Q , as good as the 28 summilux + as good as (and better in high ISO) then the M

How to Win a Leica Q  :)

dunk

Dear LFI reader, 

On the occasion of the 13th Gaisberg Races in Salzburg, from June 4 to 6, LFI and Leica Camera AG have launched a great photo competition: the Classic Cars Photo Contest. 
You have until June 18 to submit your loveliest picture based on the Classic Cars theme, to the LFI Gallery – a great first prize awaits the winner! What is it? We unveil the secret further below. 

Good luck! 

Your LFI team

Got one today.  :)

Some short first thoughts, if anyone is interested...

Focusing with this camera is great! I was really worried about that, but I'm very satisfied. The auto to manual transfer is nice. I like that in manual, it zooms in and focus peaking starts right away, so it's super fast to focus manual. The auto, so far, has been spot on and very fast! I used to have an RX1, but sold it just because I never got comfortable focusing it. Many times when I was positive I got the focus right with that camera, it turned out that the focus was not at all where I wanted it.

For any practical reasons for me, it's really not smaller than an M. I can't fit it in my pocket like my GR and will still need to use my bag for the most part. But I was expecting that, so no worries. It is however quite a bit lighter then my Monochrom with a 28mm Summicron, which is of course nice when carrying it over the shoulder!

The other basic controls are so far just as pleasant as with any other M camera, which is what I am used to and love. 

I could do a whole wright up about why I love the 28mm focal length, but it's getting late so I won't. But in short, it's been my main focal length for many, many years and is what I am the most comfortable with now. I will also say that the EVF is lovely to have when shooting this camera! I don't like the very distorted wide angle look, and the 28 is wide enough that if you're not careful and don't shoot it straight at your subject/surroundings, things may turn weird looking (which some people like, just not my cup of tea). With the EVF, it's super easy and nice to compose shots and you know right away what you are getting.

And of course, the images so far look great! 

When the rumours about this camera started, I thought it was going to be too good to be true. Obviously I'm just in the very beginning of the honeymoon phase, but honestly, this is as close to perfect as I can imagen! I guess weather sealing is the only thing which would have made it completely perfect, but I'm absolutely not complaining!  :D

• Like 1