Leica Q -technical/digital

So it says that this is the first in a range of Q cameras. I hope we get on with a 24-90mm lens, 24 more important than 90 and then we will have a professional replacement to the Digilux 2. I hope Leica do this and design the lens so that the length does not change all movement was internal on the Digilux 2. I am not sure if it is possible technically, but it would be perfect if it is.

There is the saying that the only good camera is the one you have with you, I am not going to buy an M, I just won't lug around the lenses. I loved the CLE but modern digital cameras are bigger so I prefer a fast zoom. I would be quite excited about the prospect of a fast quality camera with a short depth of field in a sealed body so that dust does not accumulate on the sensor.

• Like 2

So it says that this is the first in a range of Q cameras. I hope we get on with a 24-90mm lens, 24 more important than 90 and then we will have a professional replacement to the Digilux 2. I hope Leica do this and design the lens so that the length does not change all movement was internal on the Digilux 2. I am not sure if it is possible technically, but it would be perfect if it is.

There is the saying that the only good camera is the one you have with you, I am not going to buy an M, I just won't lug around the lenses. I loved the CLE but modern digital cameras are bigger so I prefer a fast zoom. I would be quite excited about the prospect of a fast quality camera with a short depth of field in a sealed body so that dust does not accumulate on the sensor.

That would be a monster on FF … the XV was designed with medium max aperture to keep camera manageable and all the naysayers said it was not fast enough - so did not sell . The D2 was a totally different kettle of fish and has a relatively tiny sensor compared to FF - thus lens is relatively compact. A Q with fixed FF 24-90mm zoom lens would be prohibitively expensive as well as being a monster.  

dunk

• Like 1

I had no clue as to what is coming, which is even more fun for me. I have little patience and hate waiting. 

The more I read about this camera the more excited I am. I shoot 28mm easily 95% of the time. The new M246 is just spectacular and perfect for my needs. But I rarely use my M240 yet finally I am having some appreciation for color.

The Q would most likely replace the M240 and it would be refreshing to use autofocus. Hard to imagine actually as odd as that might sound. I live in the zone.

Placed my order and this made my day!

Well I'm afraid it will be bye-bye Leica M240 and summicron 28 asph and Hello Leica Q. Have placed my order. I will keep some of my Leica lenses for use on the Sony A7 but this is the street camera I have been wanting for many years, Why

1. Relatively small

2. manual and autos focus lens 28mm lens

3. DOF scale

4. Good high iso to allow higher shutter speeds to freeze movement

5. Good manual analogue controls

That sounds a bit drastc. Did you only have one lens with your M-240? The latter is a system camera so can hardly be compared directly in potential value to a photographer.

That sounds a bit drastc. Did you only have one lens with your M-240? The latter is a system camera so can hardly be compared directly in potential value to a photographer.

I have a lot of leica lenses ranging from the apo-telyt 135 to the WATE but since buying into the the Sony A7 system (Have a 7II and A7s plus various FE lenses) I have hardly ever used the M and then only with the 28 summicron. So I will sell the M and 28 summicron which will more than fund the Q and keep the rest of my M lenses and if at some point leica come up with a new M body I may consider it and will still have the lenses which in the meantime I use on the Sony's. The 28 summicron unfortunately performs really badly on the Sony A7 while all my other lenses perform well so it seems to make sense

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

£2,900 GBP including VAT is £2,417 ex tax.

At the exchange rate of $1.55 to every £1 GBP, that means that the tax free price, in the UK, is $3,753.

The Leica Q is therefore roughly $1,000 more expensive than the Sony RX1 (about which I know precisely nothing)

$1,000 - $450 (EVF) = $550 more expensive.  Not bad, really.

This looks like a very nice camera.  Well done Leica.

Rick

The only Leica product I've seen in a long time I might actually buy. I was considering pressing the button on a RX1R so the Q has come along at a tempting time.

Although I now shoot with a Sony alpha system I have been shooting a lot with fixed lens CSCs for the last couple of years. I owned the RX1 (which I foolishly sold when I got the Sony A7R). Lovely camera but one area I did not like at all was the add on EVF. The EVF was great but if altered the look and feel of the camera when using it..

I've also been converted to shooting with a 28mm fov since owning the ridiculously good-value-for-money Ricoh GR. The main reason is that it is a very forgiving focal length when it comes to cropping - so you can normally crop out or to other dimensions (e.g 1x1) more easily than with a narrower 35mm length. Just my opinion.

So, I'm quite happy with fixed lens cameras, I can work with a 28mm fov, there is an inbuilt hi-res EVF and so far all the reviews say startup and AF is fast and snappy. Given that each new Leica camera has a gotcha I'm waiting to see what gives with this one.

LouisB

Edited by biglouis
  • Like 2

I could use a Q on a current project but have bought a used T and 23mm which would then be redundant … so will wait until a suitable s/h Q is available. I like the prospect of using a 28mm 'compact' … my GR1 film compact was my grab and go camera c.20 years ago. 

Demand for the Q will no doubt exceed supply - thus will probably command premium prices on Ebay .  Leica Mayfair states 'sold out'.

dunk

Well, what a nice little camera indeed! But what hits me - as i keep my beloved Digilux 2 in the cupboard - it will definitly end in that cupboard as well. The M Lenses will be used "forever". So, what's the better investment - or should i just forget the idea of buying objects of desire that even keep their value?

Do we know if it's a true f1.7 lens or does it stop down when you focus less than 2m ? 

It looks nice but I think it's still a 'nearly' camera myself. My dislike of EVF's is the main worry. Interesting that it has proper image stabilisation apparently, not to bodge solution in the X series. 

One concern of mine with regard to any fixed lens camera, and more so an expensive fixed lens camera, is if they have made efforts to seal the sensor/lens joint to avoid dust ingress. There have been plenty of reported instances of dust getting into the sensor on the X models, and some of the PanaLeica's. 

But overall I like the fact that the Q is very close to a traditional 35mm compact camera operationally, with proper aperture and focus rings and a shutter dial. 

Sadly for me the price is too high, but it's a camera I'd consider when I can pick one up for £1K s/h in a couple of years time :)

Edited by earleygallery

Well, what a nice little camera indeed! But what hits me - as i keep my beloved Digilux 2 in the cupboard - it will definitly end in that cupboard as well. The M Lenses will be used "forever". So, what's the better investment - or should i just forget the idea of buying objects of desire that even keep their value?

Buy one and USE it … nearly everything is a potential disposable .. including my DMR and my D2 and D1 and X1 … but DMR is still my preferred camera for quality imaging. The Q should still be a a very usable camera in e.g. 6 years time … just as the X1 is now. X1 has years of use ahead. And the D2 is still a capable imaging tool. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Do we know if it's a true f1.7 lens or does it stop down when you focus less than 2m ?........................

f/2.8 in Macro mode (0.17m-0.3m)  according to Jono's review.

Edited by stevelap

Well, by the reviews and the images of the camera itself, I'm impressed that they've really 'invented' something new. On a 'down side', with bigger hands, small doesn't do anything for me, as such, I would like a bigger add-on grip with functional controls. I realize the fixed lens approach to the Q means that likely won't happen. Leica seems to be leaving the door open (?) for an interchangeable lens Q by virtue of it's new, in-camera EVF. As was posted elsewhere, current M lenses will last and last longer than any new body, fixed or otherwise, and this is investing in a new (impressive) concept with a fixed lens.

So, as much as the Q interests me, I'm not sure this Leica will find a home with me. It's close though, time will tell, IF it was interchangeable, was weather-sealed, and yes, came with a bigger add-on grip, it would be a 'no-brainer'. By the way, the M camera for me is way too limiting, but that's where the Q would with it's 'evolved viewfinder' that allows for new closer focusing designs, etc., is appealing and holding my interest. I guess I'll ponder a bit longer....

• Like 1

Well, by the reviews and the images of the camera itself, I'm impressed that they've really 'invented' something new. On a 'down side', with bigger hands, small doesn't do anything for me, as such, I would like a bigger add-on grip with functional controls. I realize the fixed lens approach to the Q means that likely won't happen. Leica seems to be leaving the door open (?) for an interchangeable lens Q by virtue of it's new, in-camera EVF. As was posted elsewhere, current M lenses will last and last longer than any new body, fixed or otherwise, and this is investing in a new (impressive) concept with a fixed lens.

So, as much as the Q interests me, I'm not sure this Leica will find a home with me. It's close though, time will tell, IF it was interchangeable, was weather-sealed, and yes, came with a bigger add-on grip, it would be a 'no-brainer'. By the way, the M camera for me is way too limiting, but that's where the Q would with it's 'evolved viewfinder' that allows for new closer focusing designs, etc., is appealing and holding my interest. I guess I'll ponder a bit longer....

For me the Q  open the way for a future M  , it will be certainly something between the Q and the M240 with  interchangeable lenses,  exactly what I am waiting for

but !!!!

M246 + 28 summilux =  12000€

Q = 4000€

Could someone explain me very slowly that I can understand ? ... 

Edited by erick

This does not interest me.

Non interchangeable lens - big fail.

Nice lens but not wide enough.

EVF is a good thing, should have been released long ago.

Will keep my M240 and Leica lenses.

Love the lenses, hate the body.