Leica Q -technical/digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I might have been interested until I saw the price...

It is £2,900 inc VAT at David Stephens

:o

Here the Sony RX1 is $2800 @ B&H (although I see it for $1700 at other sources, not sure why the discrepancy).   So for once Leica doesn't seem to be obnoxiously overpriced on an item that compares to some other brand.  Speaking personally though,  the optomechanical rangefinder is the reason I use Leica.  Otherwise I'd stick with Canon dslrs.  EVF's at this point are just not my cup of tea. 

Well, it is tempting so far as IQ goes, so while I wold not want to part with my M (eg, given that 50mm framing reduces image size very considerably: 7.5MB according to techradar) I might sell my v4 28mm Elmarit-M to help fund the Q.  :)

28mm is probably my favourite lens followed by 50mm but I have had so many problems with my Lux 50 asph that in the end I switched to the A7 and the FE55/1.8 (a truly amazing lens) and these 2 will sit very well together. I am vey happy that this camera has come along as it will mean that I will be able to stay in the Leica family just when I was about to give up on the sytem

Edited by viramati

I do prefer the optical RF but yet there are times when AF really is useful, especially with my aging eyes.  So this mini-M is going to be very attractive to me.   But I will sell all my T stuff and not my M-P or my MM2.  The Ming Thein review is also worth reading as he rarely gives out a a review that is so positive.

Last time he "jumped the Gun" Leica didn't slap him either. It is called Viral marketing, I believe.

Last time he "jumped the Gun" Leica didn't slap him either. It is called Viral marketing, I believe.

This guy makes more harm to Leica than good!... Because of his connections to some leica people, he gets the cameras before the release and 

posts horrible shots and silly comments with much pretension!...

Edited by Louis2

well, since Mr. Kaufmann himself posted some pictures yesterday alread...

The Ming Thein review is also worth reading as he rarely gives out a a review that is so positive.

I think that Ming's review of the X 113 was positive as well - he just doesn't like 35mm focal length.

With the Q, he likes both the camer and its lens...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I'm afraid it will be bye-bye Leica M240 and summicron 28 asph and Hello Leica Q. Have placed my order. I will keep some of my Leica lenses for use on the Sony A7 but this is the street camera I have been wanting for many years, Why

3. DOF scale

I wonder how accurate the DOF scale will be, unless it has been conformed for a digital sensor (if there is such a thing)??

this might be the digital companion to my analog leica -- swapping out the M9 for the Q ..... personally, i have come to really enjoy the 28mm fov, more so than the 35mm. the 90/50/28 is a great travel combo and i can no just keep the Q as my 28 and swap the 50/90 on the MA ,,, seems to be right. BUT, still want to go to the store and pick it up and hold it and see how it feels....Leica Soho said price is $4250.

This looks like a very well sorted camera for an initial launch. 

For M users it will be interesting to see what gets pinched from the Q for the M vNext.

But with AF, macro, and a bunch of other features, and to still be able to use the camera 'manually', it looks very tempting.

I'd love to see Leica come out with a 50mm version.

Here the Sony RX1 is $2800 @ B&H (although I see it for $1700 at other sources, not sure why the discrepancy).   So for once Leica doesn't seem to be obnoxiously overpriced on an item that compares to some other brand.  Speaking personally though,  the optomechanical rangefinder is the reason I use Leica.  Otherwise I'd stick with Canon dslrs.  EVF's at this point are just not my cup of tea. 

£2,900 GBP including VAT is £2,417 ex tax.

At the exchange rate of $1.55 to every £1 GBP, that means that the tax free price, in the UK, is $3,753.

The Leica Q is therefore roughly $1,000 more expensive than the Sony RX1 (about which I know precisely nothing)

Which company makes the sensor?

I talked to Stefan Daniel during the launch event in Munich:

Leica does not disclose who the manufacturer is - but it is not Sony (Jono says it's CMOSIS neither).

It's a sensor developed especially for the Leica Q and is fine tuned to the Summilux 28mm lens.

Andreas

• Like 9

£2,900 GBP including VAT is £2,417 ex tax.

At the exchange rate of $1.55 to every £1 GBP, that means that the tax free price, in the UK, is $3,753.

The Leica Q is therefore roughly $1,000 more expensive than the Sony RX1 (about which I know precisely nothing)

Keep in mind that until today the RX1 had no competition and was priced accordingly. 

It would be better still with interchangeable lenses.. and an M mount adapter.

Gerry

+2

This what I was hoping!.... Now, maybe they would consider an interchangeable version of X (with T lenses mount and  in-body VF, of course!) . ... crossing my fingers! 

Edited by Louis2

Not according to Jono Slack … his review states " … a full frame 24mp CMOS sensor designed and built exclusively for Leica which was not made by either CMOSIS or by Sony, (at the moment they are not releasing who actually made it) ."

… BUT … Ming Thein's review states: "... uses the same base sensor as the M 240, which is a 24MP 36×24 CMOS made by CMOSIS." 

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/06/10/review-2015-leica-q-typ-116/

Ming's review awards camera a 'highly recommended' 

dunk

I talked to Stefan Daniel during the launch event in Munich:

Leica does not disclose who the manufacturer is - but it is not Sony (Jono says it's CMOSIS neither).

It's a sensor developed especially for the Leica Q and is fine tuned to the Summilux 28mm lens.

Andreas

Looks as if Ming could be incorrect in stating base sensor is that of the M240 … BUT … given that the new Monochrom sensor is based on the M240 CMOS sensor, and the likelihood of a Monochrom Q, then would make sense to stay with one company already experienced in modifying / designing a monochrom CMOS sensor … So maybe the Q sensor is a CMOSIS development? 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

I think this looks like a very fun-to-use camera. 

I would have thought that Leica would be using the same sensor as the M240 given that it is full frame.  Why not? 

It seems to be able to render at 35mm and 50mm, which is a neat feature.

The ISO performance seems to surpass any Leica M color digital - it's about time and I'm eager to see the results.

All in all, on paper this is very well done...

Too bad the sensor will be obsolete in a couple of years, though....

I will be more than happy to get one in 2 years at a rebate price when it becomes "obsolete"

I think that by not having an interchangeable lens is better in that all the bits are fine tuned for each other. Being able to swap lenses presents an engineering challenge, which has been more than met as we all know, but perhaps the results are still marginally behind a fixed mount with a specialized sensor. Just saying .......  

• Like 1