Leica Q -technical/digital

So, it's virtually the same size as an M and weighs (with lens) around that of the M240 without lens. Disappointing for someone looking for something a little smaller to carry around but FF. The macro pics on dpreview are impressive, however.

So the Q weighs 640gm (incl battery) and is 130mm (W) x 80mm (H) x 93mm (L)

M240 (incl battery) with 28 Summicron (barely slower)  is 908gm ( 139mm (W) x 80mm(H) x 80mm (L).

So it's not much smaller but 70% of the weight.

Mechanical shutter to 1/2000sec, electromechanical (?) shutter to 1/6000sec.

ISO 00 - 50,000.

Will need to get hands on!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Odd yellowish cast to Alex Habermehl images on Leica web page: hope they were pp choice.

Is the UK price stated anywhere? (Not in Angela Nicholson's review, so far as I can see.) Have seen £2900 incl. VAT suggested on one site.

Edited by microview

CMOSIS I believe

Not according to Jono Slack … his review states " … a full frame 24mp CMOS sensor designed and built exclusively for Leica which was not made by either CMOSIS or by Sony, (at the moment they are not releasing who actually made it) ."

… BUT … Ming Thein's review states: "... uses the same base sensor as the M 240, which is a 24MP 36×24 CMOS made by CMOSIS." 

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/06/10/review-2015-leica-q-typ-116/

Ming's review awards camera a 'highly recommended' 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Not according to Jono Slack … his review states 'not made by CMOSIS or Sony .. Leica not revealing who makes it' …or words to that effect

dunk 

Where is Jono's review posted?

DP Review blurb mentions what might be in camera correction for barrel distortion...  I wonder if that can be turned off? 

I think this looks like a very fun-to-use camera. 

I would have thought that Leica would be using the same sensor as the M240 given that it is full frame.  Why not? 

It seems to be able to render at 35mm and 50mm, which is a neat feature.

The ISO performance seems to surpass any Leica M color digital - it's about time and I'm eager to see the results.

All in all, on paper this is very well done...

Too bad the sensor will be obsolete in a couple of years, though....

Where is Jono's review posted?

DP Review blurb mentions what might be in camera correction for barrel distortion...  I wonder if that can be turned off? 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/06/leica-q-review-jono-slack/?utm_source=20150609en&utm_medium=E-Mail

dunk

Well I'm afraid it will be bye-bye Leica M240 and summicron 28 asph and Hello Leica Q. Have placed my order. I will keep some of my Leica lenses for use on the Sony A7 but this is the street camera I have been wanting for many years, Why

1. Relatively small

2. manual and autos focus lens 28mm lens

3. DOF scale

4. Good high iso to allow higher shutter speeds to freeze movement

5. Good manual analogue controls

Edited by viramati
  • Like 7

Well I'm afraid it will be bye-bye Leica M240 and summicron 28 asph and Hello Leica Q. Have placed my order. I will keep some of my Leica lenses for use on the Sony A7 but this is the street camera I have been wanting for many years.

Well, it is tempting so far as IQ goes, so while I wold not want to part with my M (eg, given that 50mm framing reduces image size very considerably: 7.5MB according to techradar) I might sell my v4 28mm Elmarit-M to help fund the Q.  :)

• Like 1