B&W ISO Showdown: Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) vs. M Monochrom (M9) vs. M (Typ 240)

dfarkas

Really, it sometimes sounds as if people are defending their children: 'my Johnny may not be as good at maths as your Jane, but I still love him, I see qualities that you obviosly miss.'

We are talking about cameras, and if you bought yours thinking that the many thousands you paid for it meant that what was once 'setting the standards' was going to continue to do so, then, unfortunately, you were dreaming. Image quality and, indeed, many other qualities will continue to move on, and will regularly get better. The M246 is 'it' this week, but soon there will be an improvement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are those people that skipped the M9 because the full-frame sensor wasn't enough of a step to justify the expense. Then of course the M240 was two generations advanced from the M8, and the upgrade seemed worth it. There are also many that skipped the M240 generation and also the M246. I personally wish Leica had waited bringing out a new Monochrome camera until the M240 has an upgraded generation, and I am not talking about the M-P, but what an M-P should have been. While I welcome the improvements of the M240 over the M9, they are tainted by the first generation implementation and teething problems for me. The M240 had all the improvements everyone on this forum had been clamoring for, just not done as well as many had hoped.

MM1 is DEFINITELY better for my purpose for one extremely important reason; its paid for.

The new one is clearly a better camera, it had better be, but mine is paid to and remains the SECOND best black and white rangefinder camera available. MM1 still greatly outperforms this particular photographer, so I will just continue to enjoy it, at least when it comes back from New Nersey.

• Like 2