is a half case in the way ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started with a Luigi for my M8. I then bought an Angelo Pelle for the M240 and sold that, finding it a bit bulky. I now use an Arte Di Mano which fits far better than the other two and feels least bulky. Its a beautifully made case. I do not feel it adds too much weight and I feel much more confident walking around if I'm carrying just the camera and the single lens. If you tend to carry multiple lenses, you're likely using a camera bag which makes the half case redundant. Although the Arte half case has a tripod screw on the bottom, if I'm planning on using a tripod, I go with the Really Right Stuff L-plate which again negates the use of a half-case. So if you frequently walk around with just the camera and lens, a half case might be a good idea as you don't worry about minor bangs and scrapes. If its a camera bag you use mostly or a tripod, a half case does not seem to add much value.

[emoji106]

I have always used half cases as they are protective and also make handling easier.. On several occasions, they tempered falls. They are well worth their money. I have used Luigi's cases for years as they are beautifully made by an accomplished photographer in his own right who appreciates our wants.. They are virtually indestructible.

I just received my Luigi (Leicatime) case today. Full case,, with the 'hood' removable. I love this for travelling (had one for my M8 and M9).

At 'home' I did not feel the need, but when I travel and am 'out and about' all the time I like how the halfcase protects the camera and screen, and when I put the hood on I can have the camera anywhere, on a plane or in a car, without having to worry. I do not travel with a camera bag.

As for the always present size issue: I don't have big hands, e.g. a M1911 is to big for me, but don't feel the M being bulky with the halfcase.

I do not have a half case at present, but I do use the #14496 handgrip - the $300 "dumb" grip, not the $900 "smart" grip with GPS.  This grip has a rubber covering that gives a slightly tacky feel, which enhances grip-ability and control; the design and shape of the grip is quite helpful too.  Viewed from the front, it is noticeable but does not add much to the overall bulk of the camera.  If a person has hand issues (as I do), this grip is a great help.

I like the Arte di Mano half cases and may get one at some point.  Besides the beauty and craftsmanship of these cases, it seems like a good idea to make an effort to provide some protection for the camera body - within reason.  JMHO but I think half cases meet the proviso of "within reason."  It also seems to me to be very much the lesser of two evils to scrape up a $600 half case rather than to scrape up an $8000 camera.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I started with a Leica M6 half case , actually I used a full case, but always donned the upper part. The best Leica made IMO. With the M9 I started with Luigi and liked it.( after trying three different types. ) Now on the M 240 I use a Luigi. For me it's ideal because in a hot environment I don' t get the very aggressive sweat from my hands on the camera. ( I ruined a M6 titan and a 35mm titan lens with it .. ) . In cold weather  my nose doesn't freezes onto the camera. 

It's an extra shock absorber, looks modestly nice and protects my lcd screen against scratches. For me it's a winner. The extra weight and thickness I got used to very quickly because I came from a m6 with case so the difference is only about 2 mm.

See the result:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/214569-i-love-my-m/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a Pelle. Not happy!! The case covers the LV button causing it turn on LV by simply touching the case in the area of the button. 

Poor design.