is a half case in the way ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking to protect my camera, including the LCD while out and about shooting. i'm thinking of  an Angelo Pelle or Luigi. My question is for members who use cases : does the case add much thickness?, weight?,  does it enhance usability?  detract.

thanks  

My question is for members who use cases : does the case add much thickness?, weight?,  does it enhance usability?  detract.

Well, the folks who use cases will praise them, and the folks who don't use them don't see the need.  I'm in the latter group; the M is plenty robust enough for me, and the ergonomics are just fine.  YMMV.

There are loads of discussions (via search box) on the issue along with comparisons on the cases you mention as well as others.

Jeff
  • Like 2

I agree with Jeff.

I recently got my M-P240 and bought 3 cases for it. Returned all of them.

This camera is robust and beautiful. No need to hide it, in my opinion.

My suggestion: try some cases, and check it out by yourself.

Eduardo.

I love my Arte de Mano half case.  It gives a bit of a grip to wrap your fingers around while using the Thumbs Up as well.  It's perfect.  But I come from SLRs and an M6, so I like having something to wrap the fingers around and something to hook my thumb on.

I just got my M-P a few months ago.

I used the Leica designed half case for a month.  Didn't like it. Felt cheap. It became loose with a month's worth of use.  it didn't come with a strap and costed 160.00.

I sold it and got me the Angelo Pelle case and was blown away with the hand made quality, high end leather with leather smell.  It came with a robust strap and the case fit my M-P snuggly and felt great.

It even has a built in hand grip adding more value to the purchase.  It was about 240.00.

i-7HdvbQT-M.jpg

M-P with 35mm asph lux

Edited by ducstar
  • Like 2

I use a half case because I find it very convenient for handholding the camera for lengthy periods of time, such as when I'm out shooting street. I tried a couple of times without it and the naked M body becomes too slippery after a while especially with sweaty hands in Bangkok heat.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks for the speedy replies. 

@Ducstar : that case looks very nice, stealthy in some respects, i would very much appreciate if you can share a pic of the bottom and back of the camera. i have the M 240 but imagine its the same case style 

Rich

I also have the Angelo Pelle Case and love it. The ergonomics make the camera much easier to handle and add protection to the body. An added unintentional bonus is that a black case on a black body is not noticeable and, since the LCD is covered, people think its an old film camera. It's practically invisible.  :D

I've got bottom half of the Leica full case on both my M240's.  Got them used for just a tad more than a new half case, and the full case bottoms have a magnetic-held hanging back flap to protect (or more importantly for me, hide) the LDC and buttons.  Unlike the POS case Leica made for the M8-M9, their M240 case is actually much more elegantly made than any of the aftermarket one's I've seen, some of which have a decidedly DIY look.  Another thing I like about the Leica case is it doesn't have a bulbous moulded grip that makes the already-plump M240 into the size of an SLR.

Edited by bocaburger

So much energy and ingenuity goes into making Leica cameras and lenses so small and robust relative to their high performance criteria that it seems quite perverse to me to undo so much of that rare and expensive work to make them unnecessarily larger.

I suspect it's far more a question of cosmetics than rationality. But there we are. As Jeff said near the start, some like cases and others don't, and we'll each find reasons to rationalise our preferences.

It hardly matters.

Until I bought the Leica handgrip I used a Leicatime (Luigi) half case with built-in grip.  I loved it with my M9 and ordered one when I took delivery of the M240 that I never really used.  Luigi's cases are protective, absolutely beautiful and hideously expensive.  And he is impossible to communicate clearly with.  That said, there are none better made.  I have a black croco-style one I used for less than a week I'd part with - private message me if you're interested.

I wonder how my camera would have looked if I didn't use the leather case 

The funny thing is that neither you nor others appreciate how your camera looks now without the case, if you always keep on.  But it sure will look nice to the next person if you sell it.  

Reminds me of owners of expensive cars who keep a 'car bra' on front to avoid stone damage….spoils the look of the car (and possibly the air flow), but keeps it nice for sale.

I've had Ms for decades without 'babying' them, and they look pretty darn nice many years later….part of the reason we pay a premium price for the materials and construction.  Different strokes...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

The funny thing is that neither you nor others appreciate how your camera looks now without the case, if you always keep on. But it sure will look nice to the next person if you sell it.

Reminds me of owners of expensive cars who keep a 'car bra' on front to avoid stone damage….spoils the look of the car (and possibly the air flow), but keeps it nice for sale.

Jeff

I would like to point out that as I mentioned in my first post, I use the case to get a better grip. The protection is just a welcome secondary effect ;) Edited by edwardkaraa

So much energy and ingenuity goes into making Leica cameras and lenses so small and robust relative to their high performance criteria that it seems quite perverse to me to undo so much of that rare and expensive work to make them unnecessarily larger.

Yet Leica saw fit to make a grip for the M240 themselves, making the "wunderkamera" larger.

And then all the after market cases, straps, thumbsplus, thumbsie's, diopter correctors and all the rest, just to make up for the thingds that Leica bungled.

I hope the new Leica Q has a built in  EVF so I can watch heads explode here because the almighty "RF experience" has been sullied.

And then all the after market cases, straps, thumbsplus, thumbsie's, diopter correctors and all the rest, just to make up for the thingds that Leica bungled.

No third party company has made a dime from me on any of this stuff.  Pretty good 'bungling', I'd say.

Jeff

No third party company has made a dime from me on any of this stuff.  Pretty good 'bungling', I'd say.

Jeff

Haven't seen a lessening  of 3rd party add on's so they must be doing something right and it appears there is enough demand that some items  are "out of stock" :)

I am looking to protect my camera, including the LCD while out and about shooting. i'm thinking of  an Angelo Pelle or Luigi. My question is for members who use cases : does the case add much thickness?, weight?,  does it enhance usability?  detract.

thanks  

I started with a Luigi for my M8. I then bought an Angelo Pelle for the M240 and sold that, finding it a bit bulky. I now use an Arte Di Mano which fits far better than the other two and feels least bulky. Its a beautifully made case. I do not feel it adds too much weight and I feel much more confident walking around if I'm carrying just the camera and the single lens. If you tend to carry multiple lenses, you're likely using a camera bag which makes the half case redundant. Although the Arte half case has a tripod screw on the bottom, if I'm planning on using a tripod, I go with the Really Right Stuff L-plate which again negates the use of a half-case. So if you frequently walk around with just the camera and lens, a half case might be a good idea as you don't worry about minor bangs and scrapes. If its a camera bag you use mostly or a tripod, a half case does not seem to add much value.