VISO FLEX Freeze

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Leica T peeps!

Recently got the VisoFlex for my T and it keeps freezing my camera. The fix is ejecting the battery. Basically if im walking around with my T and try to take a shot, the live view is locked in the EVF and none of the Leica T buttons are responsive. This is happening alot. 

Is there a way to reinstall Firmware? When i try it just says " your up to date".

Anyway if anyone has experienced this would love to know how you fixed it.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure all the contacts ..... camera and visoflex are clean, not stuck and the visoflex pushes in fully till right in the flash connector

Make sure WiFi is off in the main camera menu ..... this was a cause of dial misfunction/lock ups with some cameras in the past .... but probably fixed by the latest firmware (which you have)

If neither helps you either have a defective EVF ...... or the circuitry in the flash socket connectors is faulty.

No other reports of this fault so it is either something very simple ..... due to the connectors ..... or you have malfunctioning components that need changing ....

Well, I have the same problem. It is really annoying since i began to use the tripot, because the socket must be removed to take the batterij out. I thought the t-m adapter was the problem. it happens more frequently (fi 10 times a day) from when i started to change  lenses. I put the visoflex on from new and i have not taken it of since. Anyway, i will see if cleaning the contacts of the visoflex and adapter will solve this. Thanks.

Well, I have the same problem. It is really annoying since i began to use the tripot, because the socket must be removed to take the batterij out. I thought the t-m adapter was the problem. it happens more frequently (fi 10 times a day) from when i started to change  lenses. I put the visoflex on from new and i have not taken it of since. Anyway, i will see if cleaning the contacts of the visoflex and adapter will solve this. Thanks.

Yeah just did all the suggestions and it still freezes every time. My only fix to not have to remove the battery is to always turn it off after taking some pics. Yeah its pretty annoying. 

My T has become unresponsive a few times for no apparent reason. It has happened both with and without adapters fitted. Simply turning it off and on again has unlocked it. I haven't needed to remove the battery.

I'll try to pay more attention next time it happens and note what the camera was trying to do at the time.

If the camera was fine without the EVF then I would insist on a replacement EVF. 

If that fails your camera needs a holiday in Wetzlar to be diagnosed and treated .....

I have used the T extensively from the day it was launched and with the EVF almost 100% of the time....... and never had any issues except the initial 'dial lock-ups' which vanished when the camera was replaced (within a week) ...... and in retrospect were due to a firmware Wi-Fi problem.

If the camera was fine without the EVF then I would insist on a replacement EVF. 

If that fails your camera needs a holiday in Wetzlar to be diagnosed and treated .....

I have used the T extensively from the day it was launched and with the EVF almost 100% of the time....... and never had any issues except the initial 'dial lock-ups' which vanished when the camera was replaced (within a week) ...... and in retrospect were due to a firmware Wi-Fi problem.

One thing that I would add to this is to try using the camera without the SD card. I know that this sounds insane but here is the theory behind it:

One old and apparently fragile bit of code in the T's firmware is the device initialization paths. The firmware used on the T has been inherited from the at least the M9 but maybe dates back to the M8. One challenging new trick it has had to learn is hot plug device insertion and removal and the T has substantially more peripheral devices than previous cameras. Take one device out of the mix.

More than likely one of the devices is marginal and occasionally throwing errors. 

Crazy detail from an OS developer's POV

(don't bother reading this)

------------------------------------------------

Think about it this way:

In the M8 the only removable device was a SD card.

The M9 had to track lens changes but the 6b lens encoding was dumb and so there were no additional removals needed.

The M240 upgraded the screen (demands more processor and a fatter pipe) and added the EVF which had to handle insertions and removals.

The T has:

• 2 flash devices - SD card and internal 
  • a touch screen
  • high res screen
  • WiFi which can be turned on and off and when on joins and disconnects from network resources
  • intelligent lenses which appear and disappear
  • an EVF which needs to be hot pluggable
  • and a GPS in the EVF 
  • A USB port

The Leica T is light years ahead of the M in terms of complexity from an OS developer's point of view and shockingly it works reasonably well which I think is a testament to how good Leica's engineering is. On the other hand, it still needs some work. I know that the device enumeration/initialization code paths were originally designed to be serialized (why the camera is slow to boot up) but hot plugging like the EVF does requires asynchronous device handling.

One of the classic challenges in doing firmware is when you get some sort of error on a device, what you do is reset the hardware. This puts you back into the device initialization code when the device comes up. This can happen asynchronously and reentrancy problems or race conditions.

If you want to have a stable camera that doesn't lock up, you should:

• join a bunch of wifi networks and leave the wifi on
  • always have the EVF on but take it off and on frequently while the camera is on - sometimes do this only half the way.
  • always change lenses while the camera is on
  • use a motley assortment of SD cards and pull them in and out periodically while the camera is on
  • pull the USB cable out of the camera while it is doing something like transferring a file.

Then pay attention to when the camera crashes and hangs and keep notes. Once you have any sort of pattern, report a bug to Leica.

Sorting this out will take some time, it will require a pretty substantial change in fundamental sections of how the OS works.

The software for the M (Typ 240) has been redone from the ground up, according to Leica. Also, I seem to remember that the new software has been written by Leica while the software in the M8 and M9 was a third party job.

Ok, I am having this freeze problem big time.  Don't think it is EVF related.  Just got the camera, was fine until I played with the WIFI.  Then it started acting up.  Updated the firmware to 1.31 which I believe is the most current.  Again played with the WIFI and it really started to freeze up terribly even with the WIFI turned off!  To the point was unresponsive to the screen and the off setting would not shut it down.  Did the take the battery out and back in.  Scratching my head, decided to reset the camera and not enter any WIFi info and seems to be behaving.  I think still bugs with the Wifi.  Hoping they fix it on the next firmware update.  I am not using the Wifi until then!  Even so, the camera is often slow to take a photo.  Seems to be always 'thinking'.  I am rethinking my purchase.  But dang, I like the camera otherwise.

Just an update to my post here.  I continued to have issues with my T both freezing up where had to take the battery out and in regularly.  Also issue with the shutter.  At the advice of the Leica rep, returned it for a replacement.  Hopefully one that doesn't have issues.  I do like the camera a lot so hoping next round goes much smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to my post here.  I continued to have issues with my T both freezing up where had to take the battery out and in regularly.  Also issue with the shutter.  At the advice of the Leica rep, returned it for a replacement.  Hopefully one that doesn't have issues.  I do like the camera a lot so hoping next round goes much smoother.

Any recent update? Did you get a replacement? Does it work better? I'm curious, but being on the fence  to buy a T I'm interested in it...

robert

I cleaned the contacts of the visoflex and adapter. per Thighslappers advice. Lock-ups still occured. Then i formatted the sd-card in camera. I have been using the T intensely, changing lenses. No freezing occured up till now!

Thanks for your answer, great it works well, finger crossing  :)

robert