Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Want to go to my ignore list? I don't know how it works but you could google me the way :D

I'm this close to put all the people who write "50sx" when they mean 50 summilux, "50ST" for Summarit, "50ET" for Elmarit, "NX" for noctilux, "evil bay" for ebay, "bokeh" to designate out of focus (and sooo many more cool terms) on my ignore list. Feel free to do what you want.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find a way to attach hood on this lens !!

Leica 11688 lens.

1) remove your hood from the lens.

2) insert a uv filter into lens hood from front side.

3) adjust position into most bottom in hood.

4) carefully move hood on lens, and attaché hood first.

5) and rotate uv filter's screw.

Done !

It's perfect. No need thin hood.

This lens is very beautiful and good quality.

With only 11688+11689 set, I am happy : )

Please try it if you have 50sx.

Kazu

Thank you! I tried it and it worked.

• 1 month later...

I have replied to Leica --

Could you now please elevate this issue to the most senior person for product development? I would like to know what Leica's intentions are to fix this problem.

The lens is very beautifully made and a pleasure to own. But there is a design fault that Leica needs to remedy to make good for the 500 customers who now own it and cannot use a filter and the supplied lens hood at the same time. This is a unique problem in the history of Leica lenses, and can only be viewed as a design mistake.

So I would be grateful for a reply from Leica about what it intends to do for its customers to fix this mistake please. It would seem that there are two possibilities - either the supplied lens hood is recalled and modified (or a new design of lens hood supplied to replace it), or filters are made that will work with the lens and hood together. In the 1960s you had such filters, but they are not the same thread pitch as this new lens.

Once I have your reply I will update the l-camera-forum on the thread related to this specific issue, as there are a number of owners of this lens who are also awaiting your solution, and will be keen to know your planned remedy.

I have not yet received a reply from Leica.

If you have the CEO's email address, or someone appropriate from his executive team, please PM me, thanks.

• Like 2

Dear Winedemonium,

Thank you for your perseverance in trying to get Leica to respond to you.  Sadly, as I have already said it would appear that Leica just 'can't be arsed' with getting this sorted and therefore I have made up my mind .... as much as I love my Leica's I will not buy any 'brand new' Leica equipment from this day forward.  Why should I spend large amounts of my hard earned cash on brand new Leica when it would appear the company clearly feels it 'can live with' several hundred potentially disgruntled customers. Solving this problem is not rocket science, however their silence on the matter speaks volumes to me.

I have already ordered a pair of Swarovski 10x50 EL bino's instead of Leica Ultravid HD,  what next will Leica lose out on when I decide to make another purchase?

Come-on Leica, you have 'come good' on your promise to fix the M9 sensor corrosion and I applaud you for doing so, so for goodness sake give this filter issue the attention it deserves and not 'brush it to one side with contempt' which is what you appear to be doing.

Simon 

Not sure whether this helps (besides the method described in #89):

Heliopan offers UV and Protection-Filters with 0,75*43 which are called "slim": http://www.heliopan.de/produkte/uv-filter-und-protection/ though I don't know if theey really are slimmer than filters by B+W which are to "fat". 

Another solution might be the original hood for the first version of the 50mm Summilux; the XOOIM http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.de/index.php/Gegenlichtblenden#XOOIM.2F12521_.281960.29

When I compare the XOOIM to the 12538, I think the little grips of the earlier hood are looser, so they might pass the filter which blocks the grips of the 12538. Though this would be a rather costly solution, if it really works. For the XOOIM being rare is rather expensive on the second hand market. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

13032 is indeed the latest (M 43 x 0.75) Leica UVa filter. I have no experience with it but it looks similar to the earlier 13206 (M 43 x 0.5) filter in that i doesn't seem to have an internal filter thread so it is perhaps as slim as the latter. I would ask Leica if i were interested.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello,

I have tried the Leica filter UV 13032 on the summilux 50 Black Chrome ASPH E43 and it does not work. The filter blocks the sunshade  and you can therefore not fix the sunshade on this lens together with the filter leica E43.... Unbelievable! So I have no solution presently to use this lens with a UV filter and its sunshade together, as I could do with the previous release of this lens (pre asph summilux 50 E43).

Dominique

• Like 2

Hello,

I have tried the Leica filter UV 13032 on the summilux 50 Black Chrome ASPH E43 and it does not work. The filter blocks the sunshade  and you can therefore not fix the sunshade on this lens together with the filter leica E43.... Unbelievable! So I have no solution presently to use this lens with a UV filter and its sunshade together, as I could do with the previous release of this lens (pre asph summilux 50 E43).

Dominique

"....Unbelievable!"  ........absolutely, but what is even more unbelievable is Leica's apparent lack of interest in resolving the problem :-(

I received my Black Chrome 'Lux just over a year ago and still there is no solution.  It's not exactly difficult to resolve, we just need an updated version of the slim filter for the original 43mm 'Lux , one that has a 0.5 thread pitch,  how difficult is that for crying out loud???

I love this lens, but DAMN do Leica infuriate you sometimes !

Simon

"....Unbelievable!"  ........absolutely, but what is even more unbelievable is Leica's apparent lack of interest in resolving the problem :-(

I received my Black Chrome 'Lux just over a year ago and still there is no solution.  It's not exactly difficult to resolve, we just need an updated version of the slim filter for the original 43mm 'Lux , one that has a 0.5 thread pitch,  how difficult is that for crying out loud???

A slim UV filter does not solve it for many:

A new hood is the answer - so that UV, ND and B&W color filters of conventional design can be used.

I pre-ordered the lens, but passed when offered it.

A second batch with a new hood please Leica.

Edited by FrozenInTime

I think that in principle this is an issue for all of us with respect to the way Leica supports  products and customers. I do not own this lens but I do follow this thread and would certainly want to see the situation rectified. For a niche Leica item this thread has generated 6 pages of posts. 

Although this Forum is independent of Leica AG would it be unreasonable for Admin (Andreas) to forward a link to this thread to Leica for comment? 

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

When this lens was announced in March last year, I put my name down with Red Dot in London for one immediately. I think it's a brilliant lens, and I use it a lot. It's exquisitely built, and delivers beautiful images. The filter problem hasn't troubled me, since I don't tend to use filters, other than occasionally a red or orange filter on my 28mm Summicron ASPH. But it does seem amazing that the black chrome 50 Summilux ASPH has this obvious design flaw.

I notice that Leica are still advertising the lens on their site. So with a pretty small run of 0nly 500 pieces, they clearly haven't sold them all yet, over a year since it was first made available.