Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I asked Leica for another update, and I have received a reply --

we received an announcement of our Product-Management this morning. We are not able to offer a suitable filter yet. The new filter will not fit on special runs of SUMMILUX-M 1.4/50mm black chrome version. As soon as we can offer new filter types we will inform our customers on our homepage. Sorry for not having a solution for you right now. Have a nice day

I have replied to Leica --

Could you now please elevate this issue to the most senior person for product development? I would like to know what Leica's intentions are to fix this problem.

The lens is very beautifully made and a pleasure to own. But there is a design fault that Leica needs to remedy to make good for the 500 customers who now own it and cannot use a filter and the supplied lens hood at the same time. This is a unique problem in the history of Leica lenses, and can only be viewed as a design mistake.

So I would be grateful for a reply from Leica about what it intends to do for its customers to fix this mistake please. It would seem that there are two possibilities - either the supplied lens hood is recalled and modified (or a new design of lens hood supplied to replace it), or filters are made that will work with the lens and hood together. In the 1960s you had such filters, but they are not the same thread pitch as this new lens.

Once I have your reply I will update the l-camera-forum on the thread related to this specific issue, as there are a number of owners of this lens who are also awaiting your solution, and will be keen to know your planned remedy.
  • Like 2

...."Have a nice day"  :huh:

If that's the best Leica can come up with I have a quote for them though I consider myself too polite to post it here :angry:

The correct slim filter frame already exists, the one for the 1960-70's Lux it just has a 0.5mm pitch instead of the 0.75mm now needed.

I am honestly beginning to believe that Leica 'just can't be arsed' with giving this problem the priority it deserves.

Maybe I 'can't be arsed' to buy any more of their products in the future  ;)

Thank you Winedemonium for keeping us updated and for your perseverance in corresponding with Leica over this issue.

Kind regards,  Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This has been tried and did not work.

What I did some time ago when I owned the LHSA version of the lens (which looks identical) was to buy an old Leica filter (with poor glass), remove the glass, open a B + W 43 mm MRC filter and install the glass in the Leica mount. A bit of work, but worth it.

​I by the way posted a black Leica E43 UV 13206 for sale here in the forum, and that filter should work just fine.

Edited by Ivar B

The 13206 is an M 43 x 0.5 filter whilst the OP needs an M 43 x 0.75 one. As suggested by wattsy above, replacing the glass in the 13417 filter seems to be the best solution but the 13417 has a silver mount and the OP is after a black one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find a way to attach hood on this lens !!

Leica 11688 lens.

1) remove your hood from the lens.

2) insert a uv filter into lens hood from front side.

3) adjust position into most bottom in hood.

4) carefully move hood on lens, and attaché hood first.

5) and rotate uv filter's screw.

Done !

It's perfect. No need thin hood.

This lens is very beautiful and good quality.

With only 11688+11689 set, I am happy : )

Please try it if you have 50sx.

Kazu

• Like 3

the hood of the lense can be disassembled into 2 separate pieces

Interesting indeed. I thought that the hood was the legacy 12586 from the sixties or a copy of it. Would you have a pic or a link to that hood? Just curious.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica 11688 lens.

Done !

Kazu

if you're going to do this don't over tighten the hood, as this could dislodge the 2 white hinges on the side of the hood./

17888177651_2b48a14a64.jpg

the vented part of the hood can be screwed off from the bottom part of the hood with the 2 white buttons

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by asdfbill

Leica 11688 lens.

Done !

Kazu

What is 50sx?