Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Technical-Equipment/Filters/Leica-Filter 

New Leica filters!! Is this the solution we've been all waiting for?

Bram

The link does not appear to be working, more importantly though ... I hope Leica have at last come up with a suitable solution and are not going to charge those who have purchased the lens a fortune for it .

Kind regards,

Simon

Edited by Simon Bee

Just remove the space at the end of the link. I don't see anything new there though... Am i missing something?

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Technical-Equipment/Filters/Leica-Filter

I don't see any sign of a suitable 43mm filter either 

A quite comprehensive range of new filters including those for B&W but no sign of even a UV for the 50mm 'Lux Black-Chrome :(

Really does now look ( to me at least ) as though Leica feel that 500 potentially P***ed Off customers is a figure they can live with, if they have been busy sourcing a new filter range surely it would have made sense to accommodate us 50mm Black-Chrome customers too :angry: 

Leica .......great company in so many ways yet can be so frustrating at the same time.

Kind regards,  Simon  

Update to me from Leica, Wetzlar - 

the new filters have the old style look, not the requested smaller fitting. As far as I know Product-Management have some new filters with them for examination. But I don’t know the results yet. As soon as I’ll receive closer details I’ll let you know. Sorry for not being able to help you now. Enjoy your day

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica probably knows better than us, how many of these lenses went to collectors (who shiver at the thought to put a filter on a black lens). So how many filters in this special size will be needed? In what glass colours? 

There might be three possibilities:

- Nothing happens, next deep worries and concerns will be posted.

- Leica sells them for how much the production and distribution will cost them (+ the usual costs for all those making a living on the products world-wide). The number of dissatisfied mails might go up, blaming the audacity of the prices... etc.

- An after-market filter distributor (who knows a producer) finds his golden niche. What better place then HK?

Frankly, if I could return this lens to my dealer I would do it now and just buy the regular Summilux. I prefer the look and heft of the black chrome, but I always use a filter and lens hood. The filter not only protects the lens, but for me it also acts as a lens cap.

It's a real drag that Leica designed it in this way and I'm surprised they haven't addressed it by now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leica probably knows better than us, how many of these lenses went to collectors (who shiver at the thought to put a filter on a black lens). So how many filters in this special size will be needed? In what glass colours? 

There might be three possibilities:

- Nothing happens, next deep worries and concerns will be posted.

- Leica sells them for how much the production and distribution will cost them (+ the usual costs for all those making a living on the products world-wide). The number of dissatisfied mails might go up, blaming the audacity of the prices... etc.

- An after-market filter distributor (who knows a producer) finds his golden niche. What better place then HK?

For me it's not so much a case of as you say ..... "Nothing happens, next deep worries and concerns will be posted" 

It's about the now obvious 'complete oversight' that there will be owners who will want to use some filters with the hood attached.  Given the lens is a replica of the 1959 version for which a suitable filter exists but has the wrong thread pitch for the new lens, you would be forgiven for thinking that Leica would naturally have a suitable filter/s for the new lens at it's launch and the length of time it is taking ( or maybe they are actually doing nothing, believing the issue will just 'go away' given there are only 500 lenses ) Leica to provide a solution I find quite incredulous.  They have 'reproduced' the lens style so just reproduce the existing 0.5 pitch filter with a 0.75 pitch  ..... it's not exactly rocket science is it.

Other manufacturers special edition lenses that I have seen have almost always been supplied with a minimum of a UV filter, if not then for sure a standard filter of any brand will work with that lenses lens hood.

Kind regards,  Simon

Edited by Simon Bee

I don't have my Black Chrome edition yet but it will be arriving in a couple of days.

I understand the problem and I'm pretty good with my hands and solving stuff like this.

I would think that a simple stop-gap solution, for me at least, would be to pick up a UV filter and machine the front of it to the proper thickness to accommodate the hood.

This would not solve the problem for those that use multiple standard thickness filter AND the supplied hood.
Personally I use a UV filter on all my lenses mainly for protection and rarely actually use the hood.

The ultimate solution is that since the hood was NOT designed for standard filters in mind it should be redesigned accordingly and Leica should supply owners with the corrected hood.

I will post an update once I receive my lens.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update to me from Leica, Wetzlar - 

the new filters have the old style look, not the requested smaller fitting. As far as I know Product-Management have some new filters with them for examination. But I don’t know the results yet. As soon as I’ll receive closer details I’ll let you know. Sorry for not being able to help you now. Enjoy your day

Functioning filters are not abailable yet for two reasons:

the metal frame is too broad to let the lens-hood engage in the groove of the lens and

there are none available, that have the 0.75mm thread pitch.

The "old style look" of the filters being tested now that's a good start,

but whoever has a 11688 and wants to use it (rather than having it on display only)

should support windemonium's efforts to continue asking Leica for a timely correction of their carelessness with this dear lens.

Could the mods please merge this thread with:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/254427-50-lux-black-chrome-edition/

?

Jumped ship!

After seven months of the lens sitting in the box in my cabinet and occasionally pulling it out to try a new option on the filter that never fit with the hood -- I was able to return it to my dealer and exchange it for the current Summilux. Love the new lens and the best thing is -- I am using it.

I'll continue to subscribe to this thread in the hope that Leica steps up to the plate and makes this right, but now I'm shooting with an extra stop compared to my other 50mm.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think there will ever be a filter thin enough for this lens. Maybe Leica can produce a new hood for the 50mm black chrome.

Well you may be right, in which case Leica should 'pull their finger out' and produce said 'new hood' WITHOUT delay and supply FOC to all registered owners and to dealers who still have stock on their shelves.  IMO Leica 'get it right' far more times than they get it wrong however in this instance their apparent 'oversight' and ( to date ) lack of response to the problem is quite frankly VERY disappointing to say the least.

Kind regards, Simon 

This thin filter has been made in silver UV/IR version already. See my posts above. You just need the same mount in black with an UV glass into it that's all. I see no reason (and zero chance) to get another hood but i may be wrong.

Yes you are correct, which makes it even more frustrating and TBH unbelievable that Leica have not supplied a minimum of a UV filter already.  I do sometimes wonder what they take loyal customers for ....  'mugs' I guess  :angry: 

I don't need a redesigned hood,  I just need ( well actually 'want' ) a UV filter that will work with the hood.  Then again thinking what the likely retail of such a 'Leica' filter will be and the probability that I will also like a black and white contrast set, plus some ND options perhaps a new hood will be the better option as one could then use B&W or other likely 'cheaper' filters ;)

Kind regards,  Simon