Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

• 4 weeks later...

Leica have responded to me to say they are looking into this issue and will put information on their website once they have found a solution. Once they update me I will post a link.

Since 3 months have passed since Leica said they were looking into a solution to this problem, I have just written to them again to ask for an update. I will post any update news here once they have replied.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had a reply from Leica. It has been explained by email that it was not intended that a filter and the supplied lens hood be used simultaneously, "due to the option to mount the lens hood reversely for transportation on the lens." 

However, "Product Management, Product-Team, and R&D evaluating several solution at the moment."

I will update again when I hear more.

• Like 2

it was not intended that a filter and the supplied lens hood be used simultaneously, "due to the option to mount the lens hood reversely for transportation on the lens."

I don't have the lens to be able to inspect the hood but I'd be surprised if the hood couldn't be machined with enough clearance for common E43 filters and still be able to be mounted in reverse "for transportation". Is there a good reason why this would not be possible? If not, this kind of weasly response from Leica just adds insult to injury – I'd far rather they 'fessed-up' and just said that they cocked-up and are now having replacement hoods produced for those who want them.

Curious explanation indeed. The 13206 (M 43 x 0.5) slim UVa filter is perfectly compatible with the 12586 hood of my 11114 Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph (pics below) and the hood can easily be reversed on the lens when the filter is on. What leica is missing, if i understand well, is just a "13206-bis" (M 43 x 0.75) slim UVa filter with 0.75 instead of 0.5 filter thread. Hardly rocket science IMHO. I have no experience with the OP's lens though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The only M43 x 0.75 Leica filter is thus the 13417 that fits the LHSA 50/1.4 asph with its 12586 hood if i'm not mistaken. The OP could replace its UV/IR glass by an Uva if he doesn't like the reddish tint of the former. The 13417 is a silver only filter though.

Hi LCT, replacing the glass in the 13417 filter seems to be the best solution to the problem. Is it easy to remove and replace the glass in these filters (I've just examined a Leica E39 filter and can't see any obvious means of removing the glass)? I'm going to buy the E43 50 ASPH shortly and would like to have the option of using a yellow filter and hood at the same time. (I don't care at all about the mismatched colour between the silver 13417 and the lens barrel.)

Leica filters have a spring ring that fits into a slot. You just need a sharp pointed needle file to remove the retaining spring ring from the slot.

• Like 1

I'm going to buy the E43 50 ASPH shortly and would like to have the option of using a yellow filter and hood at the same time.

I know of only two remaining in the UK ,  one at Clifton Cameras, the other at Wilkinson Cameras.  The latter has just chopped £500 OFF the price !! Now £2699.00 , if you haven't already parted with your money Ian that's one hell of a saving ;-)

http://leica.wilkinson.co.uk/limited-edition-leica-m-50mm-f1-4-asph-summilux-black-chrome-finish-11688.html

BTW ... it's a wonderful lens, I love mine, just wish Leica had sorted the filter issue out by now, there really is no excuse and it is rather lame of them.

Kind regards,  Simon

• Like 1

I know of only two remaining in the UK ,  one at Clifton Cameras, the other at Wilkinson Cameras.  The latter has just chopped £500 OFF the price !! Now £2699.00 , if you haven't already parted with your money Ian that's one hell of a saving ;-)

Yes, that is an excellent saving (Wilkinson's are good for random discounts). I have an option to buy another (for less than RRP) though I now think, all things considered (and the E43 filter size is one of the considerations), that I am going to pass.

Yes, that is an excellent saving (Wilkinson's are good for random discounts). I have an option to buy another (for less than RRP) though I now think, all things considered (and the E43 filter size is one of the considerations), that I am going to pass.

Well its gone now, I know you said you were going to pass but on reflection did you have a change of heart and go for it?  If not someone has had a very good buy.  I was tempted to go for it myself, what two.... that's greedy I know, I would have 'put it away' untouched for a future profit? Still I am more than grateful for being able to buy the 'one' I already have, just wish Leica would sort out this filter issue without delay ..... perhaps they feel 500 potential disgruntled customers is not a priority!  TBH given the RRP and limited edition status of the lens it should have shipped WITH a UV filter but that's another story.

Anyway, if you did go for it Ian I am glad to have helped by pointing it out, if not well I understand your reasoning, and if another member bought it this morning due to seeing my post therefore saving themselves £500.00.... "you're very welcome" ;-)

Kind regards,  Simon 

I know of only two remaining in the UK, one at Clifton Cameras, the other at Wilkinson Cameras. The latter has just chopped £500 OFF the price !! Now £2699.00 [...]

3,199 GBP (€ 4,330) sounds expensive compared to the RRP in use in Continental Europe (€ 3,950). Is the Wilkinson's name printed on Leica guarantee cards actually? Just curious.

3,199 GBP (€ 4,330) sounds expensive compared to the RRP in use in Continental Europe (€ 3,950). Is the Wilkinson's name printed on Leica guarantee cards actually? Just curious.

£3125 was the official RRP of this lens at launch (and the price Wilkinson's had it listed for until this week). However, this lens was later being sold for £2,999 by more than one dealer so I suspect the RRP was revised down. Wilkinson's are an authorised dealer (and have been for as long as I've been buying Leica) and highly recommended.

• Like 1

£3125 was the official RRP of this lens at launch (and the price Wilkinson's had it listed for until this week). However, this lens was later being sold for £2,999 by more than one dealer so I suspect the RRP was revised down. Wilkinson's are an authorised dealer (and have been for as long as I've been buying Leica) and highly recommended.

Ah yes of course, the RRP was £3125.00 and not £3199.00 therefore the saving was £426.00 and not £500.00.  I should have remembered the RRP having bought one myself :rolleyes:

I have just noticed that Wilkinson's have it for sale again and at the £2699.00 price,  I know they only had 'one' because I enquired as to their stock level therefore whoever purchased it must have cancelled.  I am tempted to buy it and put it aside, untouched, then it about five or so years see what price it would command, after all the interest on savings at the moment is pretty crap.

Kind regards,  Simon 

I paid the full UK price for mine, back in April. I reckoned it would sell out fast, but Leica still have it listed on their official site. I love it - the images it captures look great. No better than the standard 50mm Summilux ASPH, of course. But in gunmetal black, mounted on a gunmetal black M5, well - I just can't put it down.

• Like 1

A couple of recent shots from the M5 and 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome.

Best wishes all,

Colin

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have now had a reply from Leica. It has been explained by email that it was not intended that a filter and the supplied lens hood be used simultaneously, "due to the option to mount the lens hood reversely for transportation on the lens." 

However, "Product Management, Product-Team, and R&D evaluating several solution at the moment."

I will update again when I hear more.

Any news from Leica  ( I have not heard anything ) regarding a 'solution' ?  I really would like to use some modern Black &White contrast filters WITH the hood attached to the lens.  Surely it's hardly 'rocket science' to sort it out, as I have previously said .... it would appear that 500 potentially P***ed Off customers is a figure Leica can live with, otherwise a solution would have been provided by now :( 

I consider myself a 'loyal' customer ( perhaps I should reconsider ) and wish to remain so, I love using my M bodies and most of the optics have no equal which is why so many of us are often prepared to part with large sums of our hard earned cash. But 'small' things like this oversight can quickly become BIG things and totally frustrate you, I know it only effects a maximum of 500 customers but COME-ON Leica ... do the right thing and get it sorted as a matter of priority ... I could just have easily spent my money elsewhere ;) 

Kind regards,  Simon 

• Like 1