Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

AFAIK Leica used to sell the following E43 filters including the latest 13417 UV/IR that was made for the M8 and is still available new at some dealers:

- 13161 (M43 x 0.5) Yellow

- 13171 (M43 x 0.5) Yellow-Green

- 13173 (M43 x 0.5) Blue

- 13176 (M43 x 0.5) Orange

- 13191 (M43 x 0.5) Red

- 13196 (M43 x 0.5) Infra-Red

- 13206 (M43 x 0.5) UVa

- 13417 (M43 x 0.75) UV/IR

The only M43 x 0.75 Leica filter is thus the 13417 that fits the LHSA 50/1.4 asph with its 12586 hood if i'm not mistaken. The OP could replace its UV/IR glass by an Uva if he doesn't like the reddish tint of the former. The 13417 is a silver only filter though.

Another solution would be for Leica to sell new 13206-like filters with 0.75 thread pitch instead of the 0.5 pitch available in the past.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

You could purchase a 43 mm screw in hood and screw it into the filter.  That would save wear and tear on the Leica hood and lens body.

I don't have one with me here but Leica or Leitz E43 filters have no female filter thread if memory serves such that it would not be possible to screw anything into them but i may be wrong. As for Schneider (B+W) and other non-Leica E43 filters, they don't fit the 12586 hood i believe but again i may be mistaken. I would ask on the Leica Collectors & Historica forum to be sure. Now such non-Leica filters would fit non-Leica screw-in hoods if the formers have a female filter thread normally.

Edited by lct

You could purchase a 43 mm screw in hood and screw it into the filter.  That would save wear and tear on the Leica hood and lens body.

A good practical solution, thank you. --at least for the interim anyway.

My existing 43mm filter (modern Zeiss T* UVa), has a female thread. So a cheap light plastic screw in hood would be just fine, and only about $10 or $20.

So the black E43 Leica filter I got didn't work (wrong thread pitch).

I've sent an email to Mark at tech department at Leica NJ and got a reply saying 

The 50mm lens accepts 43mm filters, and allows the hood to be used at the same time.  Leica does not offer a selection of filters in this size but quality filters are available from professional camera retailers.  Good brands include B+W and Heliopan.

which is, as we know now, not true.

I've sent him a reply citing this thread. I don't know if there is anything they can do right now, but I hope one day they decide to re-release the correct filter, or remove the rib from the hood so regular filters can be used.

Another option might be a Series VI filter that you could drop in through the front of the lens shade and it could be held in place by the ridge in the lens shade and the metal thing a ma jiggles.  Worth a try as the diameter of the opening is just about the same size - 1 3/4 Inches.

Series VI/6 1 5/8 41.3 1 3/4 44.0 30.5-42

Edited by rsh

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have to report that the B+W MRC Nano X5-Pro UV 43mm filter I just received does NOT allow the hood to fit -- although it is not as thick as other 43mm filters -- it is the same diameter at the front of the lens. Dang.

Really need to find a filter just slightly smaller than the front of the lens with the .75 thread pitch. I know some people don't use lens hoods, but I prefer them -- and filters too. If only Leica would have made the front diameter of the housing just slightly larger than the diameter of their filter (like with the 35 Summicron) OR made a filter just slightly smaller like the early days of the 50 Summilux. Not sure what their thought process was.

The search continues...

Since I have the same  B+W MRC Nano XS-Pro Digital UV 43mm filter and also noticed the problem with the original hood supplied with the 50 lux asph e43, I tried the 12586 hood and it works fine, not likely to snap off so easily. Tried a XOOIM also but it will not stay securely in position. Tried a screw in 43 mm vented hood from Heavystar , it vignets slightly (shows as a stronger  fall-off @f1.4).

My 2 centavos, JM.

Edited by jmanivelle

• 4 weeks later...

Same as above. Order a 13417 filter and use it as is if you want to protect your pics agains IR (recommended). Otherwise replace the glass by that of an UVa filter (e.g. Leica 13206).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You may prefer using a filter if you're living or traveling in dusty environments but in such a case the silver color of the filter will be hidden by the hood for the most part. Another solution could be to find out a copy of the superb 50/1.4 asph LHSA which exists in silver as well...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!