Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Lens Hood Filter Adapter Ring: Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Black Chrome

Until Leica follows through . . . I want to have my filter and use it, too, with my lens hood. In about fifteen minutes, I made an adapter ring that works. Cost: less than $20.

Since the inside aperture diameter of a 43mm filter is 40.5mm, I used a Heliopan 40.5-43mm step-up ring (#270), which has an outside diameter of 45mm, and though it fits the inside dimension of the Leica hood, it is 1mm too thick to fit behind the lens hood catches. Lay it flat on a sheet of medium grit sand paper with the male threads facing up, and sand it down, reducing the 4mm thickness to 3mm. This way it will fit perfectly inside the lens hood catches. It isn’t necessary to bother sanding the male threads of the step-up ring. You are now finished with the lens hood filter adapter ring.

Now screw a 43mm filter into the step-up ring until it seats, then back it off about one-quarter turn to allow for the thickness of the lens hood catches when you position the filter + step-up ring into the front of the Leica hood. With the lens hood off of your lens now, position the filter + step-up ring into the front of the hood, depressing the lens hood catches.  Release the lens hood catches and adjust the filter until it is secure.  Finally, attach the lens hood with the filter + step-up ring to the lens, and make any final adjustments screwing the filter slightly if needed into the step-up ring so the fit is snug.  Using this adapter step-up ring allows you to attach the lens hood as it was designed to the lens.

This filter adapter ring is the same as mounting a super slim 3+mm filter, plus a 4mm filter to the Lux.  The lens hood mounts in its customary groove. Since the 4mm filter is adjusted for a snug fit, it is perhaps more secure. You can use a polarizer with LV by easily rotating the hood, also. No vignetting that I can see, since the filter extends only 7+mm from the lens.

The downside is that the filter adapter with the filter must be removed from the hood so that the hood can be mounted reversed for traveling. A hassle, so the hood stays mounted. Another thing, don’t take the hood off with the lens pointed down, since the filter with the adapter ring may fall out.

As a side note, for my first go-around, I modified an inexpensive aluminum 43mm filter, removing the filter glass, sanding the threads, and reducing the thickness to 3mm.  It worked fine, but it looked too proto-type funky.  Yes, the step-up ring was easier. Less sanding. Realize that not all 40.5-43mm step-up rings may fit, some being too wide. For another much less expensive aluminum step-up ring with a 45mm OD that will fit, Google the following: uxcell Replacement 40.5mm-43mm Camera Metal Filter Step Up Ring Adapter.

A little, german bird told me that this has been resolved by Leica and an update is due in about two weeks.

Has your little German bird chirped anything specific in the way of the nature of Leica's "resolution"?

If there is a "Leica Solution" coming, no doubt I will welcome it and most likely get it.  In the meantime, I will continue to use Overgard's Hood. 

Edited by rsh

It is encouraging news that this issue might be solved soon as mentioned above. I am about to receive my one in the coming few weeks. The Overgaard hood option does sounds cool considering the possibility to use 46mm filters. However I am concerned that it could damage the lens as was mentioned earlier. I guess if you remove the hood whilst in transit this may solve any possible issues....

Were you happy with the quality and finish of the hood?

From my perspective, it is fine.  

In truth, I would rather the Overgard Hood get the wear and tear of daily use as opposed to the Leica hood (made of brass) which would be costly, if not impossible to replace.  This is only my opinion, as are all my posts.  As I said in an earlier post,  "If there is a 'Leica Solution' coming, no doubt I will welcome it and most likely get it.  In the meantime, I will continue to use Overgard's Hood."   When I say, "I will most likely get it", the final decision will depend whether or not I truly want to send the additional money now that I have the Overgard Hood. 

Lastly, I do not see how it can damage the lens.

Edited by rsh
  • Like 1

From my perspective, it is fine.  

In truth, I would rather the Overgard Hood get the wear and tear of daily use as opposed to the Leica hood (made of brass) which would be costly, if not impossible to replace.  This is only my opinion, as are all my posts.  As I said in an earlier post,  "If there is a 'Leica Solution' coming, no doubt I will welcome it and most likely get it.  In the meantime, I will continue to use Overgard's Hood."   When I say, "I will most likely get it", the final decision will depend whether or not I truly want to send the additional money now that I have the Overgard Hood. 

Lastly, I do not see how it can damage the lens.

What is Leica’s take-away from all this? That due to the lens design, customers have been forced to rely on third party providers for a non-Leica lens hood at additional cost that works with a filter on the lens? And now, some customers suspect that the rumored Leica resolution to this filter/hood issue will be something that costs extra. It should not.

From Leica’s response so far, what is apparent?  Leica has to be asking itself why this beautiful classic lens didn’t fly off the shelves of dealers when it was launched. Problem issues ripple fast through the tide of buyers. Leica should pause and seriously reassess its customer relations protocol. So, one is justified in being apprehensive about buying a Leica product without testing it first at a dealership because the promotional advertising is misleading?  And what about special order, limited edition lenses in this case that are not available for testing in advance? Just send it back once it arrives six months, later; you’ve wasted your time? One cannot believe the Leica Limited Warranty that “provides protection against . . . functional failures” of the lens? Isn't a “functional failure”  when a filter is screwed onto the lens and the lens hood cannot be attached? As for the Test Certificate, one cannot trust the examination procedure that misses the basic requirement of all lenses to allow the simultaneous use of a lens hood and filter?

Regarding filters, Leica states that “The Leica filters for the Leica M-System are made of optically pure glass, parallel plane ground and precisely annealed, so the full performance of the Leica M lenses is retained even with a filter attached. The E43 UVa Filter is designed to mount onto a lens with 43mm front filter threads. It is useful as a general protective filter to leave on a lens at all times."

The reason customers should not incur additional expense for Leica’s resolution to fix the lens is that “functional failures” is covered by a provision in (1) of the Leica 3 Year Passport Protection Plan and Limited Warranty in the following: (1) “This exclusive plan provides protection against manufacturer defects, functional failures, or any accidental damage to the covered Product including breakage, water damage, or any accident.”

Leica stated the benefits of the new lens at the launch: “Further benefitting the lens' overall versatility, the fast f/1.4 maximum aperture also aids in working in difficult lighting conditions as well as offers greater control over focus for shallow depth of field techniques. Pairing a classic outer design with innovative optical components, this black-chrome edition is the epitome of Leica's penchant for mixing both form and function. Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques, as well as working in difficult lighting conditions."

Using ND filters, as well as color correction filters, is necessary to take advantage of the Lux DOF capabilities.

Can we be confident Leica will deliver?

This is my CDH lens! Cold Dead Hands.

[...] 13417 (M43 x 0.75) UV/IR [...]

Correction: The 13417 UV/IR is a M43x0.5 filter. Sorry folks. Now there are only two Leica E43 filters available currently: 13032 UV and 13417 UV/IR as far as i know. Both have a 0.5mm thread pitch and work fine on regular Summilux 50/1.4 v1 & v2 but not on the Summilux 50/1.4 asph limited due to its 0.75mm thread pitch if i understand well. I have no experience with this lens and i do believe that Leica should sell at least one special filter for it but i hardly see a functional failure here i must say. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure the hood can fit? Just curious as the 13032 has no groove in its mount contrary to the 13417.

We tried this last year. 

Hello,

I have tried the Leica filter UV 13032 on the summilux 50 Black Chrome ASPH E43 and it does not work. The filter blocks the sunshade  and you can therefore not fix the sunshade on this lens together with the filter leica E43.... Unbelievable! So I have no solution presently to use this lens with a UV filter and its sunshade together, as I could do with the previous release of this lens (pre asph summilux 50 E43).

Dominique

• Like 1

Thank you Ernest. Not clear (for me) if the UV 13032 is a M43x0.5 or a M43x0.75 filter though. In the latter case, it would be the sole M43x0.75 filter having ever been sold by Leica if i'm not mistaken. But for what purpose if it fits neither 50/1.4 pre-asph nor 50/1.4 asph lenses? Something must escape me here…

• Like 1

The E43 UVa II filter is one of Leica's new series of updated filters released last year, which included 10 UVa filters from 39mm through 95mm. I don't have an E43 UVa II filter, but I assume it has a 0.75 mm pitch like all the rest in the series. DBAUDI1 says he put it on his lens, but he could not attach the hood. What is notable about the E43 UVa II is that it is only available in black, unlike all of the other filters in the series, which are available in both black and silver chrome. So, you're absolutely right, this filter is unique since it only fits the Summilux-M f/1.4 50mm Black chrome that came out about six months before the filter's release. Obviously, Leica provided a filter only for this lens, a filter "to be mounted at all times" per advertising, and as such, did not permit the use of the lens hood. The silver chrome filter E43 UVa YMZOO for Summilux Version I accommodated the hood, then for the LHSA 2005 release, there were two versions of the 13206 UVa, one with a flat front and one threaded to accept a stacked filter (0.5mm p). This one has a unique 3 mm ridge, which fits the lens hood. This is the same configuration of 13417 E43 UV/IR with its 3mm ridge, which allows the lens to be used with the M8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just tried the 13032 UV filter on my Summilux 50/1.4 v2. It is indeed an M43x0.75 filter, the only one ever made by Leitz/Leica if i'm not mistaken. But contrary to M43x0.5 filters, it has no groove in its mount so that the 12586 hood cannot grip to it. Could well be the culprit if Leica does not sell any other E43 lens indeed...

• Like 1

For those interested here's the groove lacking to the 13032 filter.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1