Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As most of you can tell by my early posts on this thread, I too searched for a workaround, but was less bothered as I do not always use a lens hood.  That said, I purchased Thorsten's hood awhile back and have pleased.  I keep a 46mm UVa permanently screwed into the hood so it is easy add to the lens when I need it.

Edited by rsh

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 1:10 PM, roverover said:

I decided to have my Hood lens modified and I reached out and contacted Mark Brady at Leica in NJ. I thought i would share his comment.  So, according to him, he just stated that he is NOT aware of anyone getting both a modified hood and an original style Snap-on Hood back with it.

I received was a Repair form PDF to fill out and to send in with my Hood for their review.

This lead me to inquire, How many people here have actually had their Stock hoods modified and how many got back 2 Hoods?

Just now saw this from last year, and as I posted earlier, I did receive new modified screw in hood, in addition to a new snap on hood. 

I received my screw in hood plus a new snap on black chrome hood in less than eight weeks.“ Mark Brady may not have been aware of this, and since my hood may have been one of the very early ones to be modified and returned, Leica probably had not established their protocol dealing with this issue. 

Cheers, Rog 🎬

• Like 1

Has anyone thought of or tried to file down the metal lip inside the lens hood so that it would slide down further and fit onto the lens? It seems that is what is keeping the hood from fitting with a filter attached.

I may bring the original hood to a local metal shop and have them do this but figured I would check to see if anyone else has tried?

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, newboy said:

Anyone know the typical cost of a correct Leica filter for the black chrome Summilux 50?

OK - found one... $ouch$ - it's described as a slim fit 13206... is this the right filter for black chrome Summilux 50 IF using the hood as well?

11 hours ago, newboy said:

OK - found one... $ouch$ - it's described as a slim fit 13206... is this the right filter for black chrome Summilux 50 IF using the hood as well?

Which brand is this? Any link or photo? Check that the filter thread has a 0.75mm pitch. 0.50mm won't fit.

2 hours ago, lct said:

My 13206 has a 0.50mm thread pitch. Reading this thread might help. 

I did try :)

I thought I had read a 13206 WAS OK - I stand corrected - cheers. I will have to try Leica to get the converted/supplementary hood sorted

I asked the seller and he confirmed .5 - I think Rockwell calls out that confusion too

"I see different LEICA catalogs list some lenses as 0.75mm, and others as 0.5mm. I don't trust that these listings are true."

UVa

13 206 
YMZOO
Edited by newboy
added quote which may explain some of the confusion

Not sure what this quote means exactly. All my Leica catalogs list the 13206 filter as 0.50mm and it is true that some lenses are 0.50mm and others 0.75mm. The problem comes from the fact that Leica chose 0.75mm for the new lens whilst the hood was made for 0.50mm filters IMHO.

Thanks lct - I think that just shows some confusion...

I received this from Leica today:

Similar to everyone above -  but at least a solution...

In case anyone needs a UK address. I am currently in Manila but I will get it sent back home as PH postal means it will be disappeared!

========snip=====

Dear Sir,
Thank you fro your mail.

Unfortunately, the lens hood has to be modified.

This can be done in Germany only.

It is not possible to use any filter at the moment.

If you wish to send it to Germany, the forms for shipping you will find at the following link:

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Repair-Maintenance

Kind regards

Customer Care
U. Brand

Tel.: +49 (0) 6441 2080 189
Fax : +49 (0) 6441 2080 339

customer.care@leica-camera.com

====end snip=====

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SMAL said:

Honest question. Why are so many of you use a UV filter, when shooting a digital camera? Or are all of you film shooters?

lens protection from sand, salt water, branches, rain (and other liquids), and anything else that can cause damage.  Easier to throw away a filter then pay Leica to replace my front element.

Id wager that there is a somewhat even split amongst users that either use or don't use protective filters.

• Thanks 2

• 10 months later...

Evidently, the hood fitting issue still requires a specific request to get the retro-fitted screw-in black chrome hood, which works great, once you get one from Leica.

Here's a work-around I used before Leica came up with the screw-in version. I used a step-up and a step-down adapter. There's only about 13mm difference between these adapters and the screw-in version, which didn't produce any vignetting I could see. The ribbed adapter is Heliopan 43mm - 40.5mm and the other is a generic 40.5mm - 43mm I filed to reduce its height in order to fit in the snap-on hood without modification. Notice the groove between the two adapters; it allows the hood prongs to seat.

QPACzDWhEzDMG-rXJtR_6ZSKjd9ERCvUtqSF5XHmC77cGN1zajnIw3fmS2PTOZ-jPdSoT8jYsZ_gg_rLV_G4domfYXVhiDuRQgxpSPVl81xsnkuircrNHVZOvXEAh6w2NDM2fB5GJMMql57X-kJ_WRvi9SdMrPuVcUTW8yy0WB0KdowgzrWi-CvdhQKloNTCJvyqy9Ib-xTHGtU6a0CAG9sFMXzq90j3f-k5mrLHQSqx-7Gd5wVvJdLzqTpnZxUEf9gEA0GnldtuqFMTMWtF8j8f2X9TDHSoyD6H12UyqmhEP-SMNo5d7-lDPXjlluCIXFLHglvB9ZPznp_UwT8526W6zpIFOQRYT2TsY6qJ8mf0_qPHdhJaTsqrE_fg69ZS15OYbnq4whZqEmkURjaK8ac91OWIC9ZhDw8lD_U2IoaEjGtMS1GzC6dMQATP3iSNuQd9dFUcv5WA0o3CbXFHl9f6zK4b9DONGIpTNS1iAHakyoKsGwQuCKRSBj5HWxskdIlbJomSIQtX9vAlRLYnUI5GDpgWtDH7YyDOKQeuMGBAlBgtbL9Alz-vM_6hbV6_BeGIyjzvojGo61vz2IGaIhL3ycgT0-1zpuG3bKZ_LJVLeNlXtN_o764xu9hzcNTEWDhO6HOCLLccyBadjvt61awKaphY78QfAw2HIf6tzcz77uz6xdi6O3D7qPlEAak=s1995-no

c37UNVKyyNp_lUzQM2CoT0jF1mNelj4V4yQc9DS-OewEllu1WD9cMaTK79unGTSi_rs3HkRHEqzGOYUBguHaCswrQp9ubTD3Qp8LXnDuzu8ao1tuyqtjiJWu0W1Ax2FdDDmABWZyZFcVo2nIdFRM1hnw9H9DObB23Jp-omnAvHxrrF_eAW-KlSmOOCnYZ9MQMkLnfha4XUQ8d-_w7sKgnlepY-H4IeC0xdU2FznnWcjeTr0FuAaSGeEDyrmvQxVA9LZtvSh4MlUiFaHQADZJhho-7E5bkp_gjXd3KvOirebhNhlTe52jpUr2dNC5TN906IgTWMXZcQfQAg3WKS_dyzvDvae6pkRaEBXVSsm9KaIiu7A72x3_-lP7cXdwlNArzKlPanamjhuittcYmQ1Vem2F_Yud0WUlP8DvydOqTleLq_VuJethYupMfqQpLDakJlBU6K2YtFJN9utgEDmqtIA09A8EKgYGh17epT2x0gVYl2Zd3c36sb_yorhSanKnI__-HWChr0Xj_8oYAigkwfs5BZdBp4NKONqrnkP5y3fGxpMCmx4Qbpljee7ta6XpzfCEYe_x_XcwC06rDv_KOsQHZrK6Coc3xpymlggu7aNOUYbIWqNoMPmm-Zi-KKFfhpa9EIEBm5pWViSvgcY_hf394RuZpaE9ayMitWQvmQsw9BLoNOoyotb3CpeGiz4=w2535-h909-no

The mounted adapter on the left, and the screw-in hood with a filter attached to screw into the mounting ring on the lens. As I pointed out, the work-around extends the shade about 13mm. It cost less than $30.  One other point is that the hood can be mounted in the reverse position on the lens if you like.

The best solution is to let Leica redo your hood, which involves unscrewing the snap-on portion and screwing a new 43mm flange. You won't have to buy Overgaard's screw-in hood, unless you want the use 46mm filters.

Rog

The previous shots may not have posted properly, so here are some others that show the workaround adapter (only 3mm in height) can be coupled with a step-up ring. Also, there are Leica filters 13206 and 13417 (UV/R glass removed) that have that 3mm ridge that allows the snap-on hood to be mounted.

Rog

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

This keeps getting stranger

I've been using a heliopan digital 43mm filter on my bc 50 lux, and the 13417 UV/IR on my 50lux v2 E43

Today i felt like exchanging the filters: so i tried to put the 13417 on the bc and the heliopan on the v2

The heliopan fits the v2, but the 13417 pitch does not seem to match the pitch of the bc.  

I’m not able to screw the 13417 filter onto the bc 🤨

WTF? Have any of you had this problem? 

Btw, in case of interest, the 13351W pol filter works just fine on the bc 50lux

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari

the downside is: a green cast to the images due to the pol filter 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari
an edit