Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi folks... newbie here. i got one of these lenses just recently and discovered this whole hood debacle the hard way when i tried to put the hood on over the B+W filter i'd bought for the lens. Leica Store Miami conceded a "design flaw" and suggested i look at the overgaard, seemingly unaware of the Leica corporate solution.

that said, i found that by unscrewing the filter just a little bit, leaving a gap between the lens and filter, i'm able to mount the hood using the native spring tab method. the gap between the filter and lens forms a groove between filter and lens without a problem. i only have to screw in the filter/hood combination a bit to make it snug. it's a little kluge, but would work in the field just fine for now. 

i believe this is essentially the same as a solution posted in this thread wherein you drop the filter into the tab section and screw everything on. the question is: should i send my hood (and lens) back in? with there be a resale issue one way or the other? my aperture ring is kind of loose, so sending it back may become necessary anyway (more concerning frankly than the hood issue). preaching to the choir here, but a crazy expensive lens shouldn't have any of these issues... 

cheers to all....

• Like 1

I just got mine back from Leica. They did a damn fine job making the hood the screw in type. It took a while but now I have the set up as it should have come from the factory in the first place.

It's also nice not having to worry about the hood popping off as easily as it did in its stock configuration. 

I just got mine back from Leica. They did a damn fine job making the hood the screw in type. It took a while but now I have the set up as it should have come from the factory in the first place.

It's also nice not having to worry about the hood popping off as easily as it did in its stock configuration. 

Very good info. Did they return your modified hood and another Complete Pop on hood with it as some here have stated?  I am considering doing the same, thanks.

Well, I also just got my modified hood back from Leica, New Jersey. (Wrote about it in post 261 above). What they did was disassemble the vent hood portion from the snap on base and then added a new piece onto the vent hood portion which has a 43mmn screw thread. Now the hood can screw onto the lens or onto another 43mm filter but is unusable with the snap on base.This new piece is an adapter which goes into the vent hood (50mm) and the other side sticks out (43mm) which goes into a lens. It's locked in place doesn't want to come apart.

No, I did not get another hood either and they sent back the snap on base that used to be fixed to the vent hood. Why did they even bother sending the snap on base back....it fits nothing.

Ron

• Like 2

Well, I also just got my modified hood back from Leica, New Jersey. (Wrote about it in post 261 above). What they did was disassemble the vent hood portion from the snap on base and then added a new piece onto the vent hood portion which has a 43mmn screw thread. Now the hood can screw onto the lens or onto another 43mm filter but is unusable with the snap on base.This new piece is an adapter which goes into the vent hood (50mm) and the other side sticks out (43mm) which goes into a lens. It's locked in place doesn't want to come apart.

No, I did not get another hood either and they sent back the snap on base that used to be fixed to the vent hood. Why did they even bother sending the snap on base back....it fits nothing.

Ron

Thanks for the replies. I know 1 or 2 members posted that they got 2 hoods back but it now seems those were 1 or 2 isolated incidents since no one else has stated getting both. I agree it's a bit confusing to understand why Leica would bother to send back half the hood?

Perhaps the reply I received from Mark at Leica in NJ is correct, he stated that he is unaware of them offering or returning 2 hoods. I really don't use filters much but it seems to me that having a "screw-on" Hood would be a more stable attaching system. Do You feel it was worth the small trouble and wait for what you have now?

Very good info. Did they return your modified hood and another Complete Pop on hood with it as some here have stated?  I am considering doing the same, thanks.

Ron

Thanks for the replies. I know 1 or 2 members posted that they got 2 hoods back but it now seems those were 1 or 2 isolated incidents since no one else has stated getting both. I agree it's a bit confusing to understand why Leica would bother to send back half the hood?

Perhaps the reply I received from Mark at Leica in NJ is correct, he stated that he is unaware of them offering or returning 2 hoods. I really don't use filters much but it seems to me that having a "screw-on" Hood would be a more stable attaching system. Do You feel it was worth the small trouble and wait for what you have now?

Mine was returned exactly as ronjay detailed in his post. I received a modified, screw-in hood and the clip-on portion of the lens which was separated entirely and turned into an adapter. It really has no use at this point aside from functioning as a quick-detach for the hood if need be.

The hood is much more useful now as it simply won't pop off if knocked. I've lost many a hood in a dark concert venue/nightclub while working and now I won't have to worry about that happening, especially considering that the loss of this hood would be a major bummer since it's so beautiful and overbuilt. It now feels like the hood on the 35 Summilux FLE when attaching it. And best of all, I can use filters in conjunction with it which is why I set out to do this in the first place.

I would absolutely say it's worth doing, especially considering that this isn't just a slapped together instance of threading the hood on and boom, done. No.. they took their time with this and you are receiving a piece of unique kit. The kind of stuff that will slightly affect prices in the used markets 40 years from now.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Overall this screw in hood modification is a better solution. When using the old snap on base with the claws to grip the lens front it can rub and polish the black chrome finish on the very front edge of the lens so I'm glad it's now in a drawer.

Just dismayed that the modified hood won't come apart so it could be restored to its original state if one wanted to.

Whitford, what do you mean by functioning as a quick-detach for the hood if need be? Does yours come apart?

Ron

• Like 1

Overall this screw in hood modification is a better solution. When using the old snap on base with the claws to grip the lens front it can rub and polish the black chrome finish on the very front edge of the lens so I'm glad it's now in a drawer.

Just dismayed that the modified hood won't come apart so it could be restored to its original state if one wanted to.

Whitford, what do you mean by functioning as a quick-detach for the hood if need be? Does yours come apart?

Ron

They basically sawed the hood in half, right before the two silver tabs and they made that piece threaded so I can screw the hood onto that. When those two pieces (hood and tabbed neck) are screwed together I can attach and remove it by pressing the tabs, just like the way it came from the factory originally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Here, the base is unscrewed from the ventilated hood portion. Not all black chrome hoods unscrew easily, however. See previous posts regarding this issue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is the base.

Ventilated hood section. This is the portion that Leica uses with the screw in base modification, which they supply.

So a big 12504 (pic) sort of.

• Like 1

Mine got modified by Leica Switzerland about a month ago, with a turnaround time of 48h. They were kind enough to order the parts from Wetzlar and let me know when they had received them so that I wouldn't be without the lens for too long. This is indeed because they (oddly) insisted that I send them the lens along with the hood. Anyway, like most here, I got back the screw-in hood along with the snap-on base - no original hood.

Edited by Ecar
  • Like 1

Black chrome hoods.

So a big 12504 (pic) sort of.

attachicon.gif12504.jpg

Hi, LCT. Exactly! The same as my Summicron-M 35mm ASPH. Black chrome lens hood designed to unscrew to insert a Series 7 filter. Series 7. 50.8 mm, 2.0" I wondered why Leica did not leave that option open for the Summilux-M 50mm Black chrome snap on lens hood in the initial design, realizing the hood could not be used with standard 43 mm filters. A re-designed 13206 filter with its 3 mm ledge, as you suggested a year ago (or has it been two?), could have been another solution, although limited to UVa.

My original Summilux-M Black chrome snap on hood (purchased 2015) unscrewed, but I tried to unscrew three other black chrome hoods, unsuccessfully. I realize that by design they unscrew; I wasn’t prepared to exert enough force and risk damaging the hood, or I simply didn’t have the right tool. Anyway, I have both the new Leica screw in black chrome hood and the snap on that I can use with my own adapter ring, which I have commented on in earlier posts.

[...] My original Summilux-M Black chrome snap on hood (purchased 2015) unscrewed, but I tried to unscrew three other black chrome hoods, unsuccessfully. I realize that by design they unscrew; I wasn’t prepared to exert enough force and risk damaging the hood, or I simply didn’t have the right tool. [...]

You may wish to press gently the front of the hood against the rubber heel of a shoe and turn the hood anti-clockwise to remove the stuck item. Used to work more or less easily to remove filters or the front part of 12504 hoods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the part is basically a "step-up" ring (with two male screws) that replaced the snap-on part.

It's good they return the snap-on part as that is the difference between an original collectors item and a modified part. So with the snap-on part in the box, the shade can be used, but can also be reverted to original look. Important detail for a limited edition lens.