Hood fitting problem with 50mm SX black chrome (11688)

Winedemonium

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Excellent! Now if Leica takes the suggestion you made over two years ago to offer a 13206-like filter with 0.75 mm pitch threads, the problem would be solved.

This shows how Leica produce the non-standard 13206 E43 UVa filter with its 3 mm ridge plus a 2 mm groove and (5 mm height) to accommodate using a lens hood on the Summilux 50 mm. Then, the 13417 E43 UVa/IR replicates the design so the lens can be used with a hood on the M8.

This underscores the fact that in two specific cases Leica has engineered filter designs exclusively to accommodate mounting the lens hood. The record shows that Leica has a history of being well acquainted with this problem and its solution, but has as yet failed to follow through with regard to the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 Black chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense indeed but i still don’t understand the purpose of the 13032 UV filter which fits neither Summilux 50/1.4 v1 & v2 for lack of 0.5mm thread pitch, nor Summilux 50/1.4 asph black chrome for lack of groove for the hood.

lct: The purpose? That's the point; there is no special purpose to the 13032 UVa II other than what any UV filter does from B+W or Heliopan, all of which are 4 mm high (not the required 3 mm for the Summilux-M 50mm Black chrome) and don't have, as you point out, a groove for the hood. Leica released its new Series II UVa filters for all of its lenses and simply threw in a 43 mm, obviously overlooking that it would not work with the lens hood on the Summilux-M f/1.4 50mm Black chrome.

The only way that the 13032 can be used is with a screw-in third-party hood, like RSH and others have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Curious if the birdies have talked or flown away by now... :-)

Well, this whole situation is "for the birds!"

Leica releases the Jim Martin Limited Edition with the Summilux-M 50mm in a brass finish version and last year a silver chrome Summilux-M 50mm with the Galerie Frankfurt Limited Edition of a M-P (Typ 240). It's reasonable to conclude Leica has no intention of rectifying the lens hood issue with this lens.

The only response has been no action from Leica, apparently deaf to nearly 33,000 views on three threads discussing this lens and its issue!

BREACH OF WARRANTY.

Yes! An issue that should get Leica's attention is its Breach of Warranty. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am set to receive a modified hood from Leica. I will report back once I have it and have tested it.

Thanks for the heads up, BBHewee! Perhaps that "bird" you and Muri were talking about is not extinct, after all.

If I dare hazard a guess, Leica redesigned the bottom part of the hood that unscrews by adding 8mm, making the base 18mm high to accommodate a standard 4mm thick filter (Leica, B+W, Heliopan, etc.). The little ridge that seats on the filter mounted on the lens is then in the center of the base (9mm from either end). The hood can be mounted in the reverse position for travel, a feature Leica has reiterated. This hood design will not accept filters thicker than 4mm, so 5mm thick polarizers or stacked filters cannot be used with the hood. Small concession. And the padding in the leather carrying case must be modified to accommodate the extra overall length of the lens with a filter and lens hood mounted for storage/travel.

Two years ago, Forum members targeted these redesign issues of the lens hood base and its ridge with their suggestions, so there's nothing new here, other than Leica seems at last committed to making this lens hood work.  Whatever Leica's solution may be, I am anxious to hear your verdict.

I subscribed to this thread about 2 years ago when I bought my 50. I was so annoyed that the hood wouldn't fit with a filter that I almost lost my mind. I am pleased to announce that I am finally unsubscribing. Just buy Thorsten's hood and be done with it. It's of good quality. It works with the lens. It ships fast. Yay, moving on! 

• Like 1

I'm not even going to bother posting pictures. Hood received. It's of the screw-in type. Mimics the shape of the original hood, but not exactly the elegant solution I had come to expect. On the positives, finish matches the Black Chrome perfectly, and it's of excellent quality.

• Like 1

I'm not even going to bother posting pictures. Hood received. It's of the screw-in type. Mimics the shape of the original hood, but not exactly the elegant solution I had come to expect. On the positives, finish matches the Black Chrome perfectly, and it's of excellent quality.

Thanks, BBHewee! I am nonplussed that after such a long time, Leica opted for a simple screw-in to cover the screw-up. Obviously, Leica's steadfast requirement that the hood be reversible for travel, the reason given for the original hood design, wasn't so steadfast, after all. Are the dimensions exactly the same as the 12586 black chrome? I assume it's ventilated like the 12586? If it's possible, perhaps a picture? Any clue on how Leica intends to proceed with this fix? Thanks so much for keeping on this.

Hi, I'm a little confused BBHewee, is this then a product that Leica is officially making? And I wonder therefore having bought the lens only last year they will give me one for free? (every the optimist).

Either way, thanks for all your work on this.

http://www.richardhiston.org

• Like 1

I have no further details as to how they decide to roll this out, or if this is a one-off. Let's just say that I have badgered their CS constantly to try and find a solution.

The hood itself feels heavy and nicely constructed. It's exactly the same dimension and look as the original 12586, except the clip-on part, and the opening is reduced to 43mm.

I will post pics when I get a second.

• Like 2

Thank-you, I will also badgerise. As has been said, it seems so unlike Leica to sell a limited edition lens to me and then abandon me. I have probably had 40 cameras in my life of various makes and never not been able to attach a lens hood to a filter - it is when I think of it like that that upsets so much.

• Like 1

I have no further details as to how they decide to roll this out, or if this is a one-off. Let's just say that I have badgered their CS constantly to try and find a solution.

The hood itself feels heavy and nicely constructed. It's exactly the same dimension and look as the original 12586, except the clip-on part, and the opening is reduced to 43mm.

Hello. I am curious, Does this the hood you received from Leica have a part number on it?

• Like 1

I can't fathom Leica tooling up for a one-off, so I'm going to be optimistic and view this as the first step Leica is taking to live up to its warranty and make customers whole again by giving us a hood that functions properly.

BTW Leica Store Miami was selling the original black chrome lens hood -- Leica Lens Hood for 50mm f/1.4 Summilux, Black Chrome (11688) -- and now has it for pre-order. They are doing the same with the black chrome lens hood, which is in stock, for the 35mm f/2 Summicron-M ASPH Black Chrome Edition.

The downside to a screw-in ventilated hood like Overgaard's is lining up the ventilations when it's screwed onto one (or two filters) so the "spokes" don't intrude on the field of view through the finder. One of the spokes should be at 12:00 so the ventilation is clear through the viewfinder. Overgaard's hood only somewhat comes close to this if no filter is used, otherwise the spoke always ends up obstructing the field of view in using one filter or stacking two. Of, one could simply overlook this altogether, but then that defeats the purpose of the ventilated hood design.

If Leica's screw-in hood can be rotated after it's mounted so the viewfinder looks through the ventilations, the obstruction issue can be avoided. Since the prototype is one piece, does it (the spoke) line up properly with a filter mounted on the lens? Does it line up if two filters are stacked?

Pictures as promised. As for the alignment, it depends on the filters.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thats what you get by buying a modern optical device in an 'retro' housing, it gives you the problems the older lens had.

I don't think it's as simple as that. For one thing, I'm not sure that the original lenses with this design had the same problem as I think Leica sold compatible filters at that time. For another, it is not too much to expect from Leica IMO that the engineers take into account the use of filters (particularly as the company sells a range of filters) when releasing a lens in any configuration, be it in a "retro housing" or not. It's always easy to defend companies with a cult following like Leica by blaming the consumer for any shortcomings.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 5

Bravo, BBHewee!

MONUMENTAL! I can't hold back the exuberant typography. Leica listened to the Forum!

It looks like all we have to do is unscrew the original clip-on base and simply screw in the new step-down ring (50mm-43mm), which I assume Leica can mail to all registered lens owners, and we're in business? Right? This gives us the option of using hood with either the clip-on or the screw-in ring.

Perhaps the ventilation may not line up perfectly due to different filter manufacturers, though the B+W looks in the neighborhood, this could be remedied by using the mount of rotating polarizer, removing the polarizer if one wanted.

Applause, applause!

• Like 2