Leica Q -general-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks James and John, then I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I guess with an EVF, you can tell the camera you want to see a 35 or 50 FoV, which may be handy sometimes. And you can have 35 and 50 frame lines in the 28mm FoV, which would imitate rangefinder frame lines.  I guess with the Q, I wouldn't use digital zoon. I'll just continue to shoot first, crop later.

Edited by Peter D Lux 2

To be honest, it is completely pointless, unless you just shoot JPGs - is that really what Leica is about? or this camera is for?

All the digital zoom does is to crop the image in camera - so, even with framelines, the camera is showing you what the image would be if you cropped it ... Doh!

Could someone please be so kind to clarify what digital zoom actually does and how it works? I think I know but I'll refrain from stating my interpretation so as not to spread more confusion in this thread. Thanks!

and exactly what I posted back in #106, so obviously nothing regarding DOF changes in the image but there's just less image!

I don't know what all the fuss is about either.

Perhaps if there is a setting for shooting 35 or 50mm equivalent there will be superimposed framelines on the EVF. I should point out that it already occurs on the M240 (on rear screen and EVF) if you change through different aspect ratios. 

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

and then blowing up the snipped version to the size of the original print

This comment has been made a couple of times. Enlarge anything too far, and it turns to mush. Sensor size and depth of field has fuck all to do with it.

Circle of confusion is purely about the point of best focus. Depth of field is about how quickly that plane of best focus deteriorates from one object to the next.

For all the fancy technical terms, 90% is what's written here is bullshit. Yes, sensor size is relevant to depth of field. If you want to talk about enlargement, then blow all the images up equally. The raw data won't change.

Dumb!

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is the new trend in drone cameras and conference cameras: A strong wide angle, a good sensor, digital zoom in any part of the picture and distortion correction to focus on topic of interest, resolution on chip and lens is sufficient for this within certain limits. No pan/tilt mechanics.

This new camera is obviously not for the LR crowd primarily, more JPEG right out of camera. Digital zoom from 28 to 35 or 50 should work well, very interesting : Convenience, convenience, convenience

Not sure about that

Others such as the RX1, DPx Merrill and Quattros are serious tools for many

Edited by colonel

FWIW, Andreas Kaufmann just posted the following update on Facebook. Unfortunately nothing to be seen from the EXIF though, presumably because Facebook stripped it off.....

So, serves no real purpose other than to confirm there will be an announcement on Thursday....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by DigitalHeMan

A little more tolerance for those folk who have questions about digital zoom perhaps ....

I think one issue here might be that some folk for whom 28mm is not their main FL appear to want to buy this camera and are trying to work out if they can use it comfortably at something difference, like 35mm or 50mm.

My advise is that if you buy a 28mm lens, or any other FL for that matter, you should be prepared to use it as is, and not try to find another permanent usage with a crop method.

• Like 1

A little more tolerance for those folk who have questions about digital zoom perhaps ....

I think one issue here might be that some folk for whom 28mm is not their main FL appear to want to buy this camera and are trying to work out if they can use it comfortably at something difference, like 35mm or 50mm.

My advise is that if you buy a 28mm lens, or any other FL for that matter, you should be prepared to use it as is, and not try to find another permanent usage with a crop method.

I'd agree - as I mentioned above I usually shoot 'loose' with a rangefinder/compact camera and crop a little in PP if needed. I hardly ever take a photo with the intention of cropping half of the image away. I'd move nearer to the subject if possible (if stuck with one lens).

The big selling point of this camera is that it's a FF compact. Why buy it if you're going to dump most of that sensor real estate for a virtual 35/50mm lens?

It's almost as though Leica don't have confidence in their own choice of choosing a 28mm prime, by featuring a digital zoom function. If that is indeed what they have done - it's still all speculation isn't it?

There is a difference between digital zooming and cropping in PP though in that one can compose directly in the cropped format instead of postponing composition in the darkroom. The wider DoF we'd get would not be much different to that of four thirds or small sensor cameras i suspect.

Edited by lct

I know that. You would be able to see the 28/35/50 frames just switching the button - so its sort of digital zoom, crop for 35 and 50

I really, really, hope this is not the case. I hope that Leica will use the opportunity of a fixed lens on a full-frame sensor to show just how good they can be. To then offer a gimmick such as electronic cropping is to undermine the design in my opinion. I always frame a photograph with the intention of using every millimetre of the film or sensor available to gain the maximum quality available. For a company to even offer the means to degrade this is anathema to me. I know, I don't have to use digital cropping, but as a statement of intent from Leica, who 'concentrate on essentials', it sends a mixed message. All this, of course, it it has digital cropping in the first place. We will soon know.

Mike.

• Like 3

Many people here praise the RF for its wide and tall field of view which allows them to see what's happening outside of the frame. Many people here also ridicule the photo industry for the ever growing number of pixels in the images, when the current crop (pun intended) already is more than sufficient for most practical purposes.

This would be the first ever practical application of that surplus of real estate in your camera: to enable you to see outside of the box; also, to compensate for the natural tendency of many photographers to depict slanted horizons.

Well, a fixed focal length is a fixed focal length. You can still crop and emulate the effect of longer focal lengths, either by using digital zoom or in post-processing, and if the sensor resolution suffices that might lead to quite usable results, but still: If you don’t feel comfortable with the focal length of a camera with a fixed focal length then that camera is not for you.

Edited by mjh
  • Like 5