Leica Q -general-

Meister Camera just sent out an invitation for a new model event for June 11. This is the awaited Q, I suppose? M 240 sensor and fixed 1.7/28mm? Exciting.

Edited by Ivar B
  • Like 4

If Mirrorless Rumors is to be believed it will be an M lookalike fixed-lens EVF camera. More like an M-ed full frame X with EVF.Let's see what fantasy the marketing guys come up with this time.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-to-announce-a-new-full-frame-fixed-lens-camera-on-june-10?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

If Mirrorless Rumors is to be believed it will be an M lookalike fixed-lens EVF camera. More like an M-ed full frame X with EVF.Let's see what fantasy the marketing guys come up with this time.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/leica-to-announce-a-new-full-frame-fixed-lens-camera-on-june-10?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

...really, it's about time too.... B)

Edited by robert_parker
  • Like 1

My M-P still has the "new M" smell... so, Leica, take your time with the new M. I'm not in a hurry :p

But the Q, if you believe the rumors, might be very interesting. My wife, for sure, would love one.

• Like 1

I wonder what it will be:

Not again a teaser for the new M which will not arrive IMO for months:

http://www.meister-camera.com/hamburg/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MC+150601&newsletter=MC+150601

They actually say it will be in their shops ( Berlin, Munich and Hamborg ) @ 11.06 .2015 ( 11th of June )

Meister camera is talking about "a new family member" and referring to Leica announcement for june 11th.

Quess what it is? :-)

Meister camera is talking about "a new family member" and referring to Leica announcement for june 11th.

Quess what it is? :-)

A new lens hood for 246?... 

It's supposed to be a full frame camera with an EVF and a fixed 28mm lens.

In other words, a Sony RX1 clone.  :wacko:

Now Sony is asking for $2800 for this concept, lets see what Leica will ask.

Edited by Mornnb

My M-P still has the "new M" smell... so, Leica, take your time with the new M. I'm not in a hurry :p

Here are the rumours pertaining to the new M.

http://lavidaleica.com/content/future-leica-m-cometh

This new Leica M is going in a different direction in a couple of very major ways... One of those directions is something that people have complained about on digital M cameras since the Leica M8 was introduced in 2006 - that is, they wished the cameras were smaller and thinner and more like the film cameras of old. Your wish has been granted! A major focus will be trimming the fat off of digital M cameras.

Now we get into the grey area between "good" and "bad" news and it depends entirely on how you choose to look at it. Sort of like the glass being half full or half empty. One way the size will be reduced might be the end of the traditional Messsucher (optical rangefinder after which the Leica M is named) as we know it. Why? It's large, heavy, complex and sensitive to alignment and finally, expensive - costing $750 alone. It will still have an optical component (ruling out an EVF) but will now essentially be digital, similar to the Konost (link is external) camera and its digital rangefinder (link is external) at the least - or a hybrid like the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X100 at best.

Either way, this is a radical shift in design and will surely be a polarizing topic. It fundamentally changes one of the biggest features that Leica M shooters have espoused for decades. Is this the end of the traditional Leica M camera that has existed, essentially unchanged, since the introduction of the M3 in 1954? Not entirely; just modernized. It simplifies the entire rangefinder - cutting the size and weight of the mechanism and lowers cost.

Now for a brief moment of conjecture. What will become of the rear LCD? Eliminating it would surely help to make the camera thinner (if the viewfinder were truly an EVF you wouldn't even need one). Alas, we don't think it's going away - but we just don't know yet. Consider how thin the Leica T is, and not only does it have an LCD, it's touch capable...

Now for a bit more "bad" news, again depending on how you look at things. This is no megapixel monster. Not yet, at least. Leica, for the time being, has fully adopted the Leica M/M-P sensor, the CMOSIS “Leica MAX 24MP CMOS Sensor” and extended its lifespan for at least two years. This is why it's at the heart of the new Leica Q (Type 116) camera... And why it will be the heart of the upcoming Leica M as well. No additional pixels, peepers.

so another completely incompatible system beyond the (not considering panaleica)

S

T

X

M

and sales that are [probably] dwarfed by all other consumer camera manufacturers

how on earth is this sustainable or cost efficient?

seems like someone is trigger-happy over at leica

Edited by rodluvan
  • Like 1

I don't think a CMosis sensor is bad news. That is a darn good sensor and Leica should have good control over the supply.

It is about time somebody got out of this megapixel race - or maybe Ophthalmologists should enter this new market and start developing eye-resolution enhancing drugs... Or even better, 100% eye implants :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Hmm, the Red Dot is placed like on a D-Lux, where the viewfinder is.

Is this the Red Dot, or do they want to highlight a new focus (hybrid) focus system? 

And that leaves us with two grey dots. One could be the traditional focus assistance light, but the other?

I know from my own professional experience that a sketch which is publicized after production is, explicitly, only showing "Das Wesentliche"  ;)

Edited by AndrewAM
  • Like 1

They actually say it will be in their shops ( Berlin, Munich and Hamborg ) @ 11.06 .2015 ( 11th of June )

Yes, this "teaser" will be in the shops then. But:

The new Leica M ( Messsucher/ Rangefinder ) ? I doubt it.