Leica Q -general-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not exactly. DL109 and LX100 have a 180mm2 sensor vs 225mm2 for 4/3 if i understand well. Makes a 2.24x crop factor vs 2.0x for 4/3. Not a huge difference admittedly.

On the specs it quotes 4/3 sensor. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, all the guesses and speculations could end up soon with the Q being officially announced. Usually, there are more leaks (Leica T for example) but doesn't seem to be the case this time.

• Like 1

Leica usually leaks a few infos and specs, like for the Leica-T and the MM but not this this time.

All rumors might end earlier, maybe even tomorrow, May 1, 2015.

http://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/2015/Leica-at-Paris-Photo-LA

http://leicarumors.com/2015/04/29/leica-will-have-a-new-product-on-display-during-the-paris-photo-event-in-la.aspx/leica-paris-photo-new-product-on-display/

Edited by Archer809

We are having the same discussion in the German part of the forum.

The picture is a fake and quite an obvious one as well. The author took a Sony RX1 and just put a Leica logo on it - while keeping the same labels for that switch on the front (that says AF, MF and DMF - DMF being Sony's own marketing name for having AF with the possibility to finetune manually)

While we're at it.

There is only one fact in the whole Leica Q discussion, which is the registration record for a Leica Camera AG Q series camera as submitted in March to the authorities in Taiwan. This is a legal requirement and the registration records are public. If the rumor sites (I am looking at you La vida Leica and the guys copying you, Leicarumors) had done a better job at analysing and presenting the facts, this would have been the outcome:

- Leica Camera AG registered a Q series camera

- The camera will have WIFI (reason for registering it): 802.11b/g/n at 2.4Ghz only (no 5Ghz mode)

There are some other facts around transmission/signal strength and precise frequency.

Other than this, there are no facts about the Leica Q. Not even that it will be released soon.

• Like 3

The automatic crop gives you the look and feel of that focal length lens - in other words: this is like having a 50 on the RX1. Since the viewfinder is electronic, you will see the cropped view. Of course, this is still basically a 35mm lens, but I seriously doubt that people will be able to tell even in direct comparison. I also doubt that a significant number of people can tell CCD vs CMOS, but back to the topic...

Of course you can do everything in PP, but I think his is "cheating" and just eliminates the whole point about using a fixed focal length lens. If one keeps going down that road, one will realize that perhaps a Nikon D810 is the better camera with all the bells and whistles, all the features, all the lenses between 8mm and 1200mm, all the flexibility and high tech goofy stuff. 

Depends on what you want, but it isn't necessarely all that much. Take a 50 Summilux-m, which costs 3500€ brand new and add something like Leica T body price 1500€ and you're at 5k euros. Now assuming 1:1 ratio for usd v. euro pricing, we're actually 1k below that combo so it would be actually cheap especially considering Leica T is aps-c.

Now for example what I want for next is a fast 50. I don't mind one bit it being fixed lens, it would fit just fine with my X113 and XVario adding just the lens that was missing.

So expensive and interesting are both highly subjective things.

That being said, it's highly unlikely it'll be 50mm but probably something wider like 28 or 35.

Remains to be seen, but definitely interesting times ahead.

//Juha

• 3 weeks later...

June 10 is the date that leica will present Q!

As Panasonic just introduced CM1, I am afraid it would be that one with a red dot!... I hope not!

All I know is that it would NOT be what I am wishing for! :(

I was hoping to see a kind of XV, but with interchangeable lens. For instance, it could take T lenses; and, instead of that flash, they could replace it with a EVF!.... That would be a really interesting camera and I am sure, a very successful one!

But I am sure a fix lens or a smartphone type would not work well!...

We will see in 2 weeks! 

June 10 is the date that leica will present Q!

As Panasonic just introduced CM1, I am afraid it would be that one with a red dot!... I hope not!

All I know is that it would NOT be what I am wishing for! :(

I was hoping to see a kind of XV, but with interchangeable lens. For instance, it could take T lenses; and, instead of that flash, they could replace it with a EVF!.... That would be a really interesting camera and I am sure, a very successful one!

But I am sure a fix lens or a smartphone type would not work well!...

We will see in 2 weeks! 

Louis! I see we are graduating to an interchangeable lens? I see an M in your future. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Q = FF. Fixed lens. Buit in EVF ( to differentiate from M).

First release Possibly 35mm.

Future release 24mm, 50mm, 90mm.

Future Leica product

T replaced by X body interchgeable.

Keeping existing T lenses.

Edited by onceuponatime
  • Like 1