Is the new Monochrom Typ 246 really the perfect camera?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've seen so many good reviews of the new Monochrom the last weeks, that it got me thinking: Is the Monochrom Typ 246 just the perfect camera? Are all the reviewers paid by Leica? Or does it have any flaws?

Not to spoil the party, but doesn't it have any weakness? Is it error free? Can it really be the perfect b/w rangefinder by all means?

I'm getting mine from my photo dealer next week and just want to be prepared, in case there are some things i should be aware of prior to start using the camera.

Sorry if this has been covered in some other threads.

Edited by BjarniM

I've seen so many good reviews of the new Monochrom the last weeks, that it got me thinking: Is the Monochrom Typ 246 just the perfect camera? Are all the reviewers paid by Leica? Or does it have any flaws?  

E. Puts' review (two parts so far) isn't quite as glowing….see thread on MM comparisons.  In the end, each person has his/her own definition of perfect.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

I'm keeping my MMI, but my perfect camera doesn't exist.  At the very least, this camera delivers the IQ I enjoy best.  

I spent the day today photographing in Sedona with my DSLR, and my MMI.  I can't wait to get home to see my MMI images on the compuer screen!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not to spoil the party, but doesn't it have any weakness? Is it error free? Can it really be the perfect b/w rangefinder by all means?

I'm getting mine from my photo dealer next week and just want to be prepared, in case there are some things i should be aware of prior to start using the camera.

Sorry if this has been covered in some other threads.

I’m sure a few of the minor flaws of the M240 will show up in this camera as well.

Everything you buy will have 'minor flaws'... Better than major flaws such as corroding sensors or irreplaceable screens.

The 240 is the best and most complete platform of all Leicas digital M series so far. The current M, M-P, M60 and now the M246 are going to be hard to follow without radical changes in the next iteration of the M series.

• Like 2

I spent the day today photographing in Sedona with my DSLR, and my MMI.  I can't wait to get home to see my MMI images on the compuer screen!

Be sure to get over to Prescott for at least part of a day. The Yavapai County Courthouse and the town square around it are quite unique out here.

The MM1 is perfect. The MM2 is probably more perfect. Stay tuned. (mine's due next week!)  :p

Beyond perfection actually. So much so that I allow it to join me in my bedroom every night. Oh and it doesn't snore either.  ;)

Enjoy your new camera.

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 2

Beyond perfection actually. So much so that I allow it to join me in my bedroom every night. Oh and it doesn't snore either.  ;)

Enjoy your new camera.

Wow, now that is a good bit of information Jennifer! Hahaha... My wife teases me about the fact that I never leave my Filson camera bag out of arms reach, even when I go to bed. Now I don't feel as bad. 

• Like 1

I've loved few things in my life more than my M9M..I've already admitted I slept with it more than once.

It's spectacular and certainly I don't 'need' more than it offers but I hopefully am getting my M246 tomorrow and that extra 80 grams seems lighter than it did before it was announced! 

I had M9 then MM. Then I also using m240 now. You have to know the m240 and 246 can't shppt long time exposure. Max is 60 seconds under iso 320 then it goes down to 20 seconds for higher iso. I probably keep my MM for i love shooting bw in long exposure time using ND 10 stop filter.