New: LEICA SUMMILUX-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH.

LUF Admin

• 4 weeks later...

First shot in plants pictures looks bad, soft, color not natural despite being overexposed..how did you edit it?

Also did you edit the CA?

I happened to have 28lux because of the hype but it turned me down, lots of CA, but my main reason I traded it with 28 cron new ver instead because its big, heavy and its not as good as 35 FLE.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Leica Summilux-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH., Leica Camera expands the lens portfolio of the Leica M-System with a new high-speed wide-angle lens.

The black anodised Leica Summilux-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH. will be available from authorised Leica distributors from June 2015.

» Full Press Release in the Leica Blog

attachicon.gifleica-summilux-m-28-asph-camera2.jpg

Any reviews on the new 28 Summaron 5.6 ... what is the story about this lens?  

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Commonly known nowadays as coma, though you are spot on with the name, this lens, and other Luxes, does have plenty. Previous page does show this behavior with star points. In my experience, only the recent ZM 35 1.4 is the only M 1.4 lens without this problem.

BTW:

* For outdooor shooting I prefer the Summicron 28mm (11672 or 11604): Very sharp, even contrast across the field, aberrations well controlled, perfect rendering, light and small. 11672 is a little bit more contrasty, 11604 renders the fine tones a a little bit more gently.

* For indoor people shooting I like the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 ZM very much. At close distance extremely sharp, aberrations very well controlled, nice rendering and colors (strong vignetting wide open though). Size and weight are on the high side.

Not a bad combination I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/26/2016 at 7:21 PM, goutui said:

Am I the only one who thinks the bokeh of 28 Lux is strange? I am having a hard time choosing between the 28 Lux and the new 28 Cron and the only reason keeping me from getting the 28 Lux is the bokeh... the rendering just seems not smooth enough and transition looks a bit stiff in the bokeh which make me feel a bit dizzy... Am I the only one who feels that way cos it seems that a lot people are saying good things about the bokeh?

Hi there. I echo you sentiments exactly. I was all set on the 28 Lux but something about the bokeh is holding me back, like it has a vibration feel to it, noisy for want of a better word, very different to the 50 Lux for example, which is like butter. That said, everyone raves about the bokeh so thought I must be missing something. I was going to ask which way you decided to go between the 28Lux and 28Con.

• Haha 2

My second Leica lens was/is the 28/2.8 Elmarit-M v4 11809 that I bought new in 1995 for the princely sum of $800 which was more than a month’s rent for me back then, as my first wide angle lens for my M6.

I have shot countless rolls of Kodachrome, Velvia, Ektachrome, TriX and TMax, and Delta and Pan and have come to like, in my opinion, its softer and cooler rendition of colors and contrast - it was better with Kodachrome than Ektachrome, made Velvia look unnatural sometimes, probably due to the time of day and/or the Latitude I was at, and was a better match to TriX and Delta (with a yellow filter) but TMax would be okay in a pinch (with an orange filter)...

Jumping forward, after almost five years, I am still learning to use it with my MP240 but still can see its film color and contrast character.

My current go-to wide angle lens is the 21/3.8 SEM.  But, I am drawn to the 28/1.4 Summulix and the 28/2 Summicron, which show the more modern signature and style from Dr. Karbe, because I feel that 28mm presents a more natural human eye perspective.

Lately though, I have been preferring my 50/1.0 Noctilux 11821, 50/2.0 Summicron 11819, and 35/1.4 Summilix 11874 over their modern bethren (anthropomorphizing) for their color and contrast profiles.

However, I really like the 50/2 Apo-Summicron  on my Leica M Monochrome and the 50/1.4 Summilux 11891 and the 21/3.8 SEM as my two lens set up for my MP240.

My nostalgia is making me wonder how the 28/1.4 Summilux or the 28/2 Summicron would be as a single lens set up for the MP240.

What are your thoughts?

Mark

Edited by MarkThailand

1 hour ago, MarkThailand said:

My second Leica lens was/is the 28/2.8 Elmarit-M v4 11809

My nostalgia is making me wonder how the 28/1.4 Summilux or the 28/2 Summicron would be as a single lens set up for the MP240.

The summilux is so wonderful to shoot wide open that you might not end up with that many photos reminiscent of the Elmarit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkThailand said:

You really should try both on the camera before taking a decision.

FWIW, I currently use the (current) 28mm Summicron but have also looked at the Summilux because I needed a faster lens for some shooting (film). I preferred the rendering from the Summilux, but the finder blockage and inability to share filters with my other lenses meant that I stuck with the Summicron and added a 35mm for low-light shooting instead. In hindsight, this might have been a mistake, as the extra focal length now creates a lot of decision paralysis...

• Like 1