New: LEICA SUMMILUX-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH.

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the Leica Summilux-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH., Leica Camera expands the lens portfolio of the Leica M-System with a new high-speed wide-angle lens.

The black anodised Leica Summilux-M 28 mm f/1.4 ASPH. will be available from authorised Leica distributors from June 2015.

» Full Press Release in the Leica Blog

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another question -- does the current firmware version 2.0.1.7 recognize the new lens?  It might, as the lens was around as a prototype in 2014.

scott

If I remember correctly the tip off one was coming out was that it appeared in the one of the firmware versions. I'd say yes.

Another question -- does the current firmware version 2.0.1.7 recognize the new lens?  It might, as the lens was around as a prototype in 2014.

scott

Yes the lens is correctly recognized by the current Leica M240 FW. I had the opportunity to use the lens for a few test shots and I can confirm the above.

Edited by Ario Arioldi

• 2 weeks later...

My apology for the late response–we had visitors [from Germany, of all places] arrive just as I received the new 28mm Summilux along with a 21mm Super Elmar.  I reluctantly gave up an 18mm Super-Elmar and 28mm Summicron–my favorite lens for these two lenses.

I am most impressed with the 28mm Summilux.  It is similar in weight as the 75mm Summicron, not as long, but larger in diameter–it has a remarkable great feel of balance mounted on the M.  The few photos I have taken have great contrast and resolution–much better than I anticipated, but perhaps not to the same resolution as the 28mm Summicron, but I am not disappointed and between the two the new Summilux has exceeded my expectations.  I will use the 21mm for architectural/landscapes and the 28mm for those where light conditions are more demanding.

My 28mm Summicron was my favorite lens and also my choice for street photography.  I am more impressed with the 28mm Summilux with the few photos taken so far and don't expect to be disappointed as I use it more.

I will try to resize a few of the photos taken when I figure out this new revised site and its somewhat fickle word processing quirks.

AtelierM

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to your posts, AtelierM.

I've been advised that "Leica is making some changes to their forecasting/ordering system ... This lens is not available at the moment" and they are unable to give me an estimated delivery time for my lens.

This sounds like smoke, but it's what I'm being told here at the bottom of the world.  It may be the price of being small and largely irrelevant in the Leica market, I don't know.  I'm sure it will turn up at some stage - I've sold my 35 Summilux and T camera gear to fund it.

Edited by IkarusJohn

• 3 weeks later...

I started posting my first samples of the new Leica Summilux-M ASPH f/1.4. I will be doing a couple of article over the next months on the 28mm lenses. 

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-28mm-Summilux-M-ASPH-f-1-4.html

"The Leica Summilux-M ASPH f/1.4 is a wonderful lens. A masterpiece I would say, and will get back to why it is so when I have worked with it for a longer time."

M2419300-640w-Process-2010-LR3.jpg

• Like 9

I started posting my first samples of the new Leica Summilux-M ASPH f/1.4. I will be doing a couple of article over the next months on the 28mm lenses. 

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-28mm-Summilux-M-ASPH-f-1-4.html

"The Leica Summilux-M ASPH f/1.4 is a wonderful lens. A masterpiece I would say, and will get back to why it is so when I have worked with it for a longer time."

M2419300-640w-Process-2010-LR3.jpg

PRECISELY! 

• Like 1

moscow metro

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

There are only few of them out and about. I din't know what's holding it up in the factory. 

Oh dear. Have the found some new fail with it?  Mine was built in Aug 2014, so was presumably an engineering run sample, hopefully with extra checks. As it is, I really like the lens: it provides very attractive low light images.  Background lights at night create the sort of bokeh I would normally associate with an 85mm f1.4. 

• Like 1