Summilux 28 now out!

matlep

$6118 !?  :lol:

And that is before or after the current US 12% discount ?

[i see a new Zeiss lens in my kit  ;) ]

That is to protect current "investment" in cheaper lenses else current 28 cron "investors" will cry foul. :D

• Like 1

I am quite sure new lenses will have no discount since Leica probably already considers that price discounted.

• Like 1

It appears to be included in the current discounts, if one vendor is any indication.

s-a

EDIT: Make that 'some sort of discount'. I'm not interested in doing any math today.

Edited by semi-ambivalent

Interesting.  At 21mm and 24mm Leica have superb slow lenses, and rather more stretched / strained Summiluxes.  The three 28mm lenses do not fall into that pattern.  The slower 28mms are very good, but not in the same league as their slower 21mm and 24mm counterparts.  So the question is "how stretched is the 28mm Summilux?" (field curvature, CA, etc).

Interesting.  At 21mm and 24mm Leica have superb slow lenses, and rather more stretched / strained Summiluxes.  The three 28mm lenses do not fall into that pattern.  The slower 28mms are very good, but not in the same league as their slower 21mm and 24mm counterparts.  So the question is "how stretched is the 28mm Summilux?" (field curvature, CA, etc).

The 28 Summicron does seem to have broad sample variation...  at least in the samples I have used. But my silver piece I am using now is fantastic and unstrained by anything (other than weakness in my abilities). But, I ordered the 28 SX the day it was announced, so I look forward to receiving it soon. This might be a case like the 50 SX ASPH versus the APO 50 = both are superb and have their own uses/ compositions.

• Like 1

Lavida Leica lists the specs as

28mm lux 81mm long, 61mm wide, and 440g

oddly according to B&H

24mm lux is 59mm long, 61mm wide, 500g 

35mm lux is 46mm long, 56mm wide, 320g

28mm cron is 41mm long, 53mm wide, 272g

I'd expect the 28 lux to slot in between the 24 and the 35 with regards to length as it does with regards to width and weight, did the Lavida Leica get the length wrong or are they measuring in a different way?

Anybody have any info about rangefinder blockage?

• Like 1

Curios... there seem to be some inconsistencies between  the MTF graphs printed in the datasheet and in the instructions... :huh:

yes, indeed, and  not a small one,  like completley different lenses!

I've pre-ordered as well - not sure when we'll get one down here, but I am waiting for my 35 Summilux to sell, so there's no particular hurry on my part.

There's something about the 28 field of view that I find appealing, which the 35 just doesn't do for me, for some reason.  Having said that, while I may debate which lens to put in my pocket as I leave the door, lens selection is always based on the image for me.  I rarely go out thinking - "Hmm, this will be a good Noctilux day".  I'm far more likely to think - what will I encounter today, and which lens will work for me.  I then, often as not, find I have the wrong lens completely.

I was interested in the comment on the Leica website that this lens is good for landscape.  Landscape for me usually means distant vistas, for which I would never use a wide, unless there was something in the foreground I wanted to capture.  The 21 and 28, for me, mean getting in close on some large object or tight scene, or getting the foreground nicely in focus, in which case a fast lens is pointless.

I'm liking the idea of this new lens on my camera and my 50 Summilux in my pocket - an excellent travel combination.

PS - the MTF curves are a bit odd.  In the Technical Data sheet, the widest MTF curve is for f/1:2.0, and the curves for 2.8 & 5.6 are wildly different in the manual compared to the data sheet.  If anyone puts a lot of stead by these, the MTF curves for the Summicron look way better ...  Useless information.  I wonder if Leica will actually correct this?

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

I wonder if in the next few years we'll see a new set of Apo Summicron lenses ... including a new 28 and 35 Apo Summicron. It would be interesting to have the same level of sharpness of the 50 Apo in a landscape lens...

Normally, on this type of lenses, I don't use any aperture below f/4.

Edited by dsalamena