Which scanning software for Nikon LS5000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK I have just been given an LS5000 (I thought I was being given an old SCSI Coolscan but no!). I obviously need to run it via software and my only previous experience was with Nikon's own which is no longer an option as far as I am aware. I'm Mac based and running OSX 10.9.5 on a MBP so I do have USB ports (2) or could use a Thunderbolt with adapter if this gives any advantage ('though I doubt it would). Any suggestions given that I have a vast number of slides, some still in filmstrip form, and that speed whilst not essential would be useful? I have looked at both the Silverfast and Vuescan sites and both claim to be good; any others to consider?

Tried both VueScan and current Silverfast Studio 8 to run my Minolta 5400.   Silverfast is the clear winner for color.  Problem being Silver is scanner specific and if the 5400 quits, $300 worth of software down the drain.

I am looking at Parallels to run the original 5400 software on the OS X.   

The key to scanning is to get a focused image,  a proper color balance if color,  and a histogram that does not clip.  Everything else is done in photoshop.

Download a trial of each and see what works for you.   Consensus seems to be to coordinate VueScan with Color Perfect.  Stuff on You Tube on how its done.  I know it does not work well alone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

VueScan ALL THE WAY !

I dipped my toes in all kind of scanning software early on - including both Silverf… and Vuescan.

Since I bought my VueScan Pro license for life I have peace of mind.

I had several issues with SilverFast at some point (technical in nature) after making the mistake to buy the license and got the slowest response and no solution to my problems other than consecutive nagging SPAM mails asking me to shell out more cash for their sinister upgrade scheme.

I had regular technically difficult issues to solve (running old, outdated scanners with a mix of hardware and adapters on current Mac hardware with diverse OSes - a quick eMail to Mr. Hammrick and he solved EVERY issue in no time.

VueScan:

- solid software with fantastic support for the craziest scanners out there

- best possible customer support you can dream up

- unbeatable pricing structure (you pay once, benefit from perpetual updates and are allowed to use whatever scanner, OS, hardware you wish for - power to the customer)

I consider the way SilverFast does business to be on the edge of criminal and wouldn't for the life of me support their scheme (not to mention that when I tried their software after buying a few years ago, it was bloated, slow, constantly crashing and had compatibility issues with my then current Mac computer).

Tried both VueScan and current Silverfast Studio 8 to run my Minolta 5400.   Silverfast is the clear winner for color.  Problem being Silver is scanner specific and if the 5400 quits, $300 worth of software down the drain.

I am looking at Parallels to run the original 5400 software on the OS X.   

The key to scanning is to get a focused image,  a proper color balance if color,  and a histogram that does not clip.  Everything else is done in photoshop.

Download a trial of each and see what works for you.   Consensus seems to be to coordinate VueScan with Color Perfect.  Stuff on You Tube on how its done.  I know it does not work well alone.

I run a Minolta 5400 with latest VueScan built.

did you know, that you can COMPLETELY automate your scanning with VueScan, not having to click a mouse button, touch the scanner controls or choose menus at all?

VueScan allows scan with this scanner completely automated, you only swapping film holders, the software does the rest. Best money I ever spent for those large batch scans of 35mm film.

VueScan also completely supports all Scanner features of the Minolta 5400.

As soon as there is an update to OS X Silverfast will rip you off again at diminishing discount. F... them

I feel exactly the same about them.

What they are doing there is just not at all what I would want my own customers to suffer through.