M8 banding at ISO 640

goatsby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know that the banding issue has been discussed in the past, but my searches have lead me to mostly high ISO concerns. This is different, and hard written into the file. Only happens at 640 and is not reproduced by trial and error. any thoughts?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Does it happen with a freshly charged, newer battery?

Have you tried a different SD card?

Does it happen with both DNG files and JPEG files?

Have you tried using 14-bit Raw mode with M8Raw2DNG?

The latter two would use different processing pathways through the M8. The SD cards can cause issues with interference, but this is way-up-there! Batteries can also make a difference, if they are old/weak- delivering enough power for the camera.

At ISO640 the camera is internally shifting the raw values from the sensor by two bits then converting to DNG. Using JPEG- does a different process. At High ISO, I did better with JPEG. These days, I use 14-bit raw mode.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks everyone for the input. To answer your questions;

Does it happen with a freshly charged, newer battery?

Yes.

Have you tried a different SD card?

Yes.

Does it happen with both DNG files and JPEG files?

I normally only shoot in DNG, or DNG and JPEG fine, and have seen in both file types.

Have you tried using 14-bit Raw mode with M8Raw2DNG?

No, I have not tried this program yet.

i was also not aware of the mobile phone issue, but was not using the phone whe taking photos where this happened. My old M8 never did this, so I sent the rig to Leica NJ for a check up.. Will report back here with thier findings and repair suggestions if one is necessary. 

Thanks again,

Adam

As far as being underexposed, it was a little since it was dark in the room and I wanted to keep the shutter speed reasonable. But, other images were shot at the same time and do not exhibit the banding. The DNG files were sent to NJ as part of the package, hopefully it will help the, figure out what needs to be done.

Also, here is the dropbox link to the DNG files....

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Leica%20M8%20banding

Edited by goatsby

It sounds like the camera has a problem in the electronics- it should not be doing this. The M8 sensor consists of two halves with separate pathways- and the banding is on both sides. So I don't think it is from the sensor itself, will look at the DNG later.

Adam- I'm looking at streaks in the image that start where there are changes from light/dark, I think the processor board in the camera has problems. 

You state that the problem only happens at ISO640: does it happen at ISO1250 and ISO2500? Internally, the processor board is shifting the 14-bit values that come off the sensor before compressing them to DNG-8. If something was going wrong in this operation it could cause odd results like this.

You might try reloading the Firmware into the camera, worth a shot. Version 2.014 seems to be the most stable, although I have no problems with 2.024.

If that changes nothing, I think it is Time to send it in for repair.

Edited by Lenshacker

Looks like the classic "Jesus stripes" to me: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/107662-jesus-stripes/

(horizontal picture, horizontal stripes - vertical picture, vertical stripes)

Edit - BTW, I got something similar (along with camera lockups) for a few months with an M9 as well. In that case, it was an aging M8-era battery plus a firmware problem regarding sensing battery performance. A firmware upgrade eliminated both the stripes and the camera lockups.

Edited by adan

Thanks for the responses and links to similar issues. What's interesting is that my camera was produced just before the M8.2, has the most recent firmware and a newish battery (<1 year old). Seems to be the opposite for the other posters from what I read. The camera is at NJ with a set of DNGs, will report back with their findings and suggested repairs. Would be nice if it was a simple firmware reload.....

Adam

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the nudge, I meant to post a reply but forgot!

About two months ago the M8 sensor was still not available from Wetzlar, and there was no sensor slated to arrive so they said it may be a while, a long while. I asked Leica about an upgrade and they offered a M240 with a discount, but I asked for a Q.

At first they said no since it was a completely different line, but again I strongly stated my displeasure that my camera was there for 6 months with no end in sight and the request for the Q ran up the chain. Supposedly it went all the way to the top for approval but they were able to offer me a discount on the Q for my M8. I am thankful Leica offered to do anything on a camera so old and purchased second hand.

What sucks is that I only purchased the M8 a few months before so there was a loss in the deal. I am nearly sure the seller did not know, and I did not discover the flaw until after I had the camera a little while. It was kind of a losing situation that in the end Leica did me a solid by allowing the trade in and now I have, and love, the Q.