Impressions On The Monochrom (Type-246) After A Few Days Shooting With It

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ever since it became likely that the Monochrom would be upgraded to the M (Typ-240) platform, I knew that I wanted to trade up.  I think I was a little unprepared for how much improved -- to my eye at least -- the Monochrom (Type-246) files are to the original Monochrom's.  And for still life images using the Noctilux, having use of an EVF, even a mediocre one, is incredibly helpful.  So tonight I put down some thoughts on my initial impressions with what I believe is a significantly improved camera -- better even than the original Monochrom, which I had thought was my favorite camera of all time. 

http://tulipfrenzy.com/2015/05/18/initial-impressions-after-upgrading-to-the-leica-monochrom-type-246/

• Like 12

I think I was a little unprepared for how much improved -- to my eye at least -- the Monochrom (Type-246) files are to the original Monochrom's.  

Glad to know I'm not imagining things  :)

Nice review, and I see you have also found the camera a pleasure to use ...... which is for me the bottom line .....

• Like 2

<< ... If the files themselves were richer, if the ISO performance was even better than the original Monochrom, then great. But, I told myself, I really wanted the platform upgrade from a Monochrom built on the M9 chassis, to one built on the M-240. >>

This.

The original Monochrom was and is a spectacular camera. Its limits, such as they are, relate not to its output, but to the ancient platform it was built upon. I remember the first time I triggered the shutter on my new M240. I thought the camera had frozen up mid-shot, so quick and quiet was it compared to the M8-M9-Monochrom.

Alas, good as the M240 is, it wasn't my beloved Monochrom. Now, at long last, the gods have smiled upon us and gifted us with the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the lovely insights, John!

Edited by Jager
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks so much, Jeff.  The original Monochrom was, and remains, a marvel.  The new Monochrom takes the circa 2009 technology and updates it to the 2013 M-P (type-240) standard -- which is pretty nice! 

• Like 1

Thanks, John.  I'm also taken with the benefits of the M240 platform, but for 'traditional' RF, not EVF, use….better RF, smoother shutter release and lack of re-cock noise (closer to film M experience), faster processor, 2m frame lines, better weather sealing, etc, etc.  And compared to the M9 platform, no reported corrosion and fewer issues.  

But, now that the new MM has these same platform benefits, my decision to buy or not will come down to whether or not the camera can assist in delivering better b/w prints than I currently get with the M240.  In addition, I'll need to assess whether the 'complications' of a changed workflow (use of colored filters versus more flexible use of multiple color channels in PP, potential need to carry 2 cameras, etc) are offset by a better end result.  Returning to the 'zen' of an all-b/w experience is recognized, but won't override my more practical print assessment.

Thanks for sharing your experience…happy shooting.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff - My intention is to get some prints done in the next day or so.  There is such a huge difference between what I see on my iMac with Retina Display and what shows up when posted online -- and like you, I really need to see how the prints come out.  Have to say, though, what is visible on the computer screen, and even the new LCD, suggests this is a pretty important upgrade.

I remember when I saw pictures on the M's LCD, they seemed better than the M9's, and when I saw the first shots taken with an M9 on the LCD, they seemed than the M8's.  I think each generation has improved, and it's not *just* that you want your new camera to have better resolution.  And of course, this LCD is larger than the M9M's.  But still, early impressions are that these files are qualitatively better.  JB 

• Like 4

There is such a huge difference between what I see on my iMac with Retina Display and what shows up when posted online -- and like you, I really need to see how the prints come out.  

I think you may be surprised ......  :huh:

• Like 1

Thanks for posting your comments. After reading Jono Slacks  and Sean Reads reports I decided to buy one when the initial rush has died down.In the meantime I have ordered the new Epson P 800 printer which will give super results in B and W printing.

BrianP

Edited by Guest

Indeed, Brian, the imminent Epson P800 printer will no doubt produce outstanding B&W.  Especially in ABW mode.

But if you want to see the absolute highest fidelity possible, a quality that reveals in print all the nuance and richness that the Monochrom is capable of, treat yourself and give Jon Cone's K7 Piezography - a dedicated inkset using 7 black inks - a try.

http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/2014/12/21/adventures-in-piezography/

Congratulations on your imminent purchase.  I'm in line at my local store, as well.

• Like 2

John:

I think I've been the most "vocal" advocate of the CCD version Monochrom on this forum since all the hype connected to the CMOS version Monochrom started.  I enjoyed reading your impressions and checking out the photos.  The one conclusion I can make at this time is that the new Monochrom is by far the best CMOS sensor Monochrom on the market, and by that I don't mean that it's the only one, but rather that it seems to deliver the best B&W IQ of any CMOS sensor camera on the market.  The tones seem pretty rich, with more "pop" out of the camera than the CCD M, cameras deliver.  They seem to have something of a Zeiss look to them, similar to what I get from my Canon with a Zeiss lens.  

I remain enamored with the CCD look of my current Monochrom, but I will continue to observe the unfolding of the new MM2 especially after the initial frenzy is over.  My wife has bet me that by December 31st, I will figure out a way to purchase the new MM2.   That remains to be seen, I genuinely love the tones I get from the original Monochrom, they continue to Wow me like nothing CMOS ever has, but if I lose the bet, I won't let pride get in the way, and it won't remain a secret that I lost 100 bucks.

• Like 2

Wilfredo, if you lost the bet, you'd also have to retract your comment in the photo forum that a CMOS sensor "will NEVER" achieve that level of tonality (referring to a posted portrait).  And this is just the first generation CMOS MM.  

Either way, I imagine that prints made with either camera will potentially 'wow'….if all the required variables line up….from camera to display, and everything in between (including the user).

Consider, too, that not all CMOS sensors and results are equal.  I imagine that the new Leica S (Typ 007) with CMOS turns out some stunning b/w (I haven't tested it.) The film days taught us that tonality can be dramatically affected by format size, not just film type, so the S sensor size matters.  And the S lenses factor into that as well.  David Farkas explains how the CMOS design on the new S is unique….  http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/11/why-leica-is-staying-at-37-5mp-for-the-s-typ-007/   CCD vs CMOS is far too limited an issue, especially when considering the many other internal camera processes involved.  Maybe the new MM will broaden your perspective, whether you lose the bet or not.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/IQ2-Specifications.aspx

Phase One is using a new CCD from Dalsa for their 60MPixel monochrome camera back. Dalsa makes a similar CCD in 24x36 format, uses 14-bits.

CCD's have not stayed still, neither has BSI. I'm hoping that Leica manages to bring out a full-frame backside illuminated sensor for the next generation camera. That should give a real boost in performance. Samsung brought out an APS-C sized camera using the technology. Leica could always use two of them for full-frame, as Kodak did with the KAF-18500.

If you consider the Back-Side Illuminated technology as CMOS, or at least a variation, I will bet on that one.

Edited by Lenshacker

I'll leave the technical stuff to others, while I'll wait to look at print results…of my own pics…to judge.  Simple.  (Well, not really, since I can think of dozens of significant variables besides even the camera, let alone the sensor, that determine print results.)  But I'm guessing that 12 bits…translating to 4,096 shades of grey…is probably a pretty good start, especially considering that the Leica folks likely aren't dopes.

Jeff

• Like 1