Used MM prices?

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May I ask why you are selling the camera after only a few weeks?

I'm actually more staggered about the fact selling a camera with a loss after only 60 shots!  :o

I had a black MM for a long time and put a lot of rounds through it. I sold it a while back because I was funding a .95 Noctilux purchase. As much as I love the the Nocti, I missed my MM and I guess I had been bitching about it under my breathe enough that my wife noticed, so she bought me a silver MM just before the M246 announcement. My local Leica Store, being wise as they are, put me on the top of their M246 list as soon as the announcement, which was indeed a wise move because I definitely want it. 

So that is the story, and now my M246 is due in any day. Update to the sale though, my silver MM is gone, and has been replaced by a new 50mm Summicron APO as of today. Happy Happy.

• Like 2

seems that you can pick up a nice example with low shutter actuations for well under $5K.....any idea as to how low the prices will go?

I see quite a few used Monochrom's now on some dealers' sites. Prices in the low $4K USD range with startlingly low shutter counts. That means the owners are probably getting about $3200 on trade. At that price, I may just keep my original Monochrom as a spare for when one of the other bodies needs to go on a four month holiday in Solms.

Possibly - on the other hand, the spectacular performance of the Typ 246 may drive the market and increase the interest in the more affordable used MM1 cameras.

I was contemplating upgrading to the new Monochrome - but a review of my old Monochrom shots comforted me that the outcome is spectacular enough :)... this may reduce supply of old mono :) - so there is probably a short window - now - to get a mono for $4k or so. 

Having read many favorable comments regarding the current MM I made the decision and bought one from a dealer for a fantastic price. You can find them for as low as $4600 with full 2 year warranty on websites in the US. I wanted one for some time but could not bring myself to pay the asking retail price and I am quite happy that the M246 was introduced so that current stock is being sold off at a discounted price.

• Like 2

I am very temped to pull the trigger on a MM1 as prices are approaching levels that I didn't think I'd see for at least another year.
I've been wanting the MM1 and it's CCD sensor since it came out and this may be a good opportunity....
Thanks Leica for introducing the MM2...judging from all the examples that I've been looking at for the past couple of years,  I'd be very content with the MM1...:)

• Like 2

It's a buyers market right now for the original MM.  How much will the MM246 go for when the next replacement comes along? 

I'm holding on to my MM, if I sell it I would be losing a clear 4k and for what?  The camera has continued to WOW me, and I haven't seen a single photograph from the MMII, that has wowed me enough to take the plunge.  The improved camera features are not enough for me, and the bottom line is what it can produce.  If I wanted to shoot video, I have a Canon 5D II, but I never use the video.  Bigger LCD screen? Not worth the 4k I would lose.  Weather proofing?  I'm used to being careful in the rain.  Better ISO?  I will hardly ever need to shoot at really high ISO's.  Corrosion?  Leica will replace the sensor if a problem develops.  CMOS vs. CCD, I still contend that the CCD senor delivers truer to life skin tones.  

So the Leica Monochrom I stays, although my wife seems to think I will figure out a way to purchase the new camera by the end of the year, she even bet me on it, but I would have to be super wowed by MMII photos, and that simply has not happened.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilfredo, I believe you went from the M8 to the MM if I'm not mistaken. Someone who waited that long to finally reward himself probably won't run out and get this camera. Enjoy your MM and save your money until you feel you need a new camera. Or put the money into a lens at the current lower prices.

• Like 2

Bernd,

Yes, I kept my M8 after the introduction of the M9. Once the classic Monochrom (as I like to call it) was introduced, I saw an extraordinary improvement over the B&W files I already loved from the M8.  I’m glad I waited, and will probably wait to see what comes after the M246.  Perhaps a new M that is extraordinary both as a Color and Monochrom camera, with convincing skin texture and tones? 

I got years of satisfaction from my M8.  I sold it to purchase the Monochrom; I miss that camera but the image satisfaction from the classic Monochrom remains unscathed.  I’m not in the income bracket to blow $4K (what I would lose at this point) for a so-called upgrade that in the end, from what I can tell, will not give me the "look" I so love from the classic Monochrom CCD sensor.  I look forward to at least 3 more years of satisfaction from the classic Monochrom.  By then, I suspect, the next incarnation of the M will be hitting the streets, and the M246 will be selling on E-bay for 4K or less, and there will be a mad dash for the new "upgrade" camera, and so it goes...

Edited by wilfredo

I am very temped to pull the trigger on a MM1 as prices are approaching levels that I didn't think I'd see for at least another year.

I've been wanting the MM1 and it's CCD sensor since it came out and this may be a good opportunity....

Thanks Leica for introducing the MM2...judging from all the examples that I've been looking at for the past couple of years,  I'd be very content with the MM1... :)

It's a buyers market at this point, and I suspect that once the initial frenzy of people looking to "upgrade" to the new Monochrom is over, the used prices of the classic Monochrom will start to go back up.  My Leica D2 is now worth twice what I paid for it used a few years ago.

I am in the same boat. I upgraded from the M8 to the M9 because of the full frame sensor. Using lenses at their native angle of view was a big improvement even though sharpness and detail improvements were negligible in my opinion. I used to shoot color with my M9 and black and white film with my other Leicas and I didn't think I was going to buy an MM. Then I got to test one for a week and really enjoyed the experience. I held out until just a few weeks ago after the announcement of the M246 to buy the old MM and I will be using it to compliment my film Leicas.

I'm also waiting for the next color camera to and I will probably buy that depending on what it offers.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat. I upgraded from the M8 to the M9 because of the full frame sensor. Using lenses at their native angle of view was a big improvement even though sharpness and detail improvements were negligible in my opinion. I used to shoot color with my M9 and black and white film with my other Leicas and I didn't think I was going to buy an MM. Then I got to test one for a week and really enjoyed the experience. I held out until just a few weeks ago after the announcement of the M246 to buy the old MM and I will be using it to compliment my film Leicas.

I'm also waiting for the next color camera to and I will probably buy that depending on what it offers.

I followed a similar route. In fact the M8 files have much better acuity vs. the M9 due to its thinner cover glass and it took a while to convince myself to upgrade to the M9. The M8's B&W conversions were better too vs. The M9, so all fingers pointed in staying with the M8.

It was the convienience of full frame and initially the quiet shutter that was the determining factor. (The M8.2 and its revised shutter hadn't come along yet). The aqisition of a MM completed the cycle for me...with M9 happily religated to color and MM for B&W and high ISO use.

I am looking forward to the M240 successor with regards to color and possibly B&W output and will assess the situation then. At base ISO, the color output of the M9 is extrodinarily good and that in itself trumps the advanatges of a better body at this time.

Dave (D&A)

Edited by DandA
  • Like 1

Hi,

Thorsten's DNG files are not very revelant. I find his files to be poor quality (exposure ? FW ?)...

Jono's are much better ones and I had the chance to have access to really great DNG from 3200 to 12 500 iso from a reseller who has the camera on test.

What I can tell is that the files are just phenomenal !

Grain at 6400 is OUTSTANDING even at 12 500 I find it usable (I own the MM1 and normally won't use it before 1600 iso, sometimes 3200 but rarely).

I found the grain from the new MM2 to be much smoother, delicate and I think Leica achieved a really much better random alignment of it.

It really is beautiful from what I saw.

High iso ability is the real deal here and I just find this new baby to be a winner (even if I don't plan to change, I don't have gas and I love my triX :-) )...

1600?  Really?  3200 is EXTREMELY clean on the original MM, and 5000 and even 10,000 are usable, though grainy.

I followed a similar route. In fact the M8 files have much better acuity vs. the M9 due to its thinner cover glass and it took a while to convince myself to upgrade to the M9. The M8's B&W conversions were better too vs. The M9, so all fingers pointed in staying with the M8.

It was the convienience of full frame and initially the quiet shutter that was the determining factor. (The M8.2 and its revised shutter hadn't come along yet). The aqisition of a MM completed the cycle for me...with M9 happily religated to color and MM for B&W and high ISO use.

I am looking forward to the M240 successor with regards to color and possibly B&W output and will assess the situation then. At base ISO, the color output of the M9 is extrodinarily good and that in itself trumps the advanatges of a better body at this time.

Dave (D&A)

Actually even beyond base ISO for M9 is fantastic.  640 and 160 are all but interchangeable for quality, and even 1250 yields beautiful prints with careful use.  

I remain entirely satisfied with the CCD generation and actually tried very hard (and succeeded) to find a new M-E last month and got one at a great price of $4200.

I paid $6000 for my original open-box M Monochrom two-years-ago and just had Leica go over it as the warranty approaches its end.  No sensor corrosion, minor adjustment needed to the RF and a good factory cleaning have my 25,000+ exposure M Monochrom looking and working as good as new.  Maybe after two more years I'll send it back to Leica for another CLA, right after the M-E comes back from its first (in 2017 or thereabouts).

sorry Leica, I read your advertising copy about these being "life companion" type cameras, and plan on enjoying them for the long haul.  I used to do the upgrade dance every few years with Japanese cameras, and bought my M cameras and lenses to jump off the hamster wheel.  M9 generation with its now lifetime sensor corrosion warranty seems like a great place to be for the next three or five years.

• Like 2

...I couldn't resist the temptation of the drop in prices. :)
My beautiful silver MM1 arrived this morning. It's absolutely gorgeous....the previous owner bought it new and sold it to me after owning it for about only 1 month with under 500 shutter actuations! 
Someone please pinch me as this has been a dream camera for me ever since I learned about it a couple of years ago. I still have my M8 and have no intention of selling it. This is my first FF digital camera!

...photos to come later... :)

• Like 5

took a walk after dinner around my 'hood with the MM1 and my 50 Cron...nice to finally see how a 50mm lens renders on a FF camera... :)
so far I'm lovin' it...

17557449574_2de3260b22_b.jpgpiper_Arrow IV_DxO by Peter, on Flickr

17992252190_f4079f25eb_b.jpgrickety_bridge_DxO by Peter, on Flickr

18176422232_205cf8eed1_b.jpgtruckin'_DxO by Peter, on Flickr
Edited by peterjcb
  • Like 3

... I remain entirely satisfied with the CCD generation...

sorry Leica, I read your advertising copy about these being "life companion" type cameras, and plan on enjoying them for the long haul.  I used to do the upgrade dance every few years with Japanese cameras, and bought my M cameras and lenses to jump off the hamster wheel.  M9 generation with its now lifetime sensor corrosion warranty seems like a great place to be for the next three or five years.

I agree completely. I have always been happy with my M9. It is the best camera I have ever used. Now with its new sensor, I'm counting on another 5-6 trouble free years. I debated on getting a used MM or waiting for the (at that time rumored) new Monochrom. I tortured myself for months before pulling the trigger. Looks like a little patience could have saved me a few hundred bucks but compared to the joy the Monochrom has given me over the last few months, the money was well spent. Same battery, same size, same menu, and best of all same lifetime Leica guarantee on the sensor! I am a happy camper.

• Like 3

I agree completely. I have always been happy with my M9. It is the best camera I have ever used. Now with its new sensor, I'm counting on another 5-6 trouble free years. I debated on getting a used MM or waiting for the (at that time rumored) new Monochrom. I tortured myself for months before pulling the trigger. Looks like a little patience could have saved me a few hundred bucks but compared to the joy the Monochrom has given me over the last few months, the money was well spent. Same battery, same size, same menu, and best of all same lifetime Leica guarantee on the sensor! I am a happy camper.

so does Leica warranty the sensor on the MM1 for life if I'm not the original owner?

so does Leica warranty the sensor on the MM1 for life if I'm not the original owner?

Yes, supposedly. Otherwise used cameras would be useless. Whether you bought it new or used, the corrosion is still their fault and they stated they stand behind their product. What may happen of course is that they run out of sensors at some point and offer you an upgrade at a discounted price. 

• Like 1