Astrophotography with MM

LCL999

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any comments on using the new MM for astrophotography?

What I like is removing all the colour filters. Greater definition, and single pixels won't show the wrong colour.

I like the ability to make time exposures up to 60 seconds.

I like the high ISO.

I have some questions. Can anyone tell me what the infra-red sensitivity is? One of the key Hydrogen lines, H-alpha, is in the far visible red (656nm) and I would want to see that. What is the MM 's sensitivy at that wavelength? Does Leica publish the MM's sensitivity to various wavelengths?

I gather that shutter release must be manual. Or is there an electronic option?

One of the problems I have with manual release is that the tripod still shakes a trifle. This give little trails beside the brighter stars. My work-around is to use the self-timer. Can I use the self timer to open the shutter in T mode, then close it say 45 seconds later manually?

The alternative is to ge the new Nik FA, specifically designed for astro work. But that would mean buying Nik glass as well. Any comments? Or are comparisons odious?

• Like 1

One of the problems I have with manual release is that the tripod still shakes a trifle.

With long exposures the most simple solution to obviate vibration is to have a cover in the front of the lens (not touching it), possibly held by an assistant. The shutter is opened on T or B and when vibration has settled he moves it aside and returns it when the exposure has finished, then the camera shutter is closed.

Another more complicated approach is to have the shutter in front of the lens, and not attached to the platform at all, for example on its own stand. The camera shutter opens first. Then when vibration has settled down, the separate front-shutter opens. I do not see people using this except in some large format platforms, but it works. I have a 'barn door' shutter and also Packard shutters which suffice. Can post pictures of the former, which is rare but easy to make.

BTW - I have tried these tripod vibration suppression pads. They seem to be best for live viewing. Just don't touch the apparatus.

Edited by pico

• 2 months later...

Any comments on using the new MM for astrophotography?

What I like is removing all the colour filters. Greater definition, and single pixels won't show the wrong colour.

I like the ability to make time exposures up to 60 seconds.

I like the high ISO.

I have some questions. Can anyone tell me what the infra-red sensitivity is? One of the key Hydrogen lines, H-alpha, is in the far visible red (656nm) and I would want to see that. What is the MM 's sensitivy at that wavelength? Does Leica publish the MM's sensitivity to various wavelengths?

I gather that shutter release must be manual. Or is there an electronic option?

One of the problems I have with manual release is that the tripod still shakes a trifle. This give little trails beside the brighter stars. My work-around is to use the self-timer. Can I use the self timer to open the shutter in T mode, then close it say 45 seconds later manually?

The alternative is to ge the new Nik FA, specifically designed for astro work. But that would mean buying Nik glass as well. Any comments? Or are comparisons odious?

The M8 has at least double the IR sensitivity of the MM and goes deeper into IR too.