109/LX100 4K still shots

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yesterday I attended a Pro Photography show in Southampton.  Whilst Leica were not in attendance, Panasonic certainly were.   I mentioned to them that only that morning I was using my LX100 which pleased the representative  who then went on to ask if I had used the 4K video for still shots.  I never have, and told him so; he then went on to demonstrate just how to do it and it was so simple!  I came home and tried it and you can grab a hi-resolution image which Panasonic claim is capable of printing to A3 size.   Great if you need help in getting that elusive "decisive moment" in street or nature photography!   It is the way that photojournalists often manage to get politicians and celebrities with embarrassing expressions I was advised!

• Like 2

Hi S1

It is easy, select the video record logo in the menu set up, then select 4K video and record in the usual way, adjusting image as you do by turning the exposure adjust wheel on the top plate to your taste.  In playback mode select 4K photo from where you can go through your footage frame by frame until you see the frame which you need to work from. Select it and zoom up to 200% if required, crop or adjust it then save it for use later.  Don't forget to return the settings to standard still photography afterwards though! 

• Like 2

"...It is the way that photojournalists often manage to get politicians and celebrities with embarrassing expressions I was advised!"

Why bother switching the camera back to still photography mode? Seeing as grabbing a still from video footage is apparently the way forward.

"...It is the way that photojournalists often manage to get politicians and celebrities with embarrassing expressions I was advised!"

Why bother switching the camera back to still photography mode? Seeing as grabbing a still from video footage is apparently the way forward.

Once a stills photographer always a stills photographer I suppose but whilst 4K screen shots are very useable,;  for most subjects I prefer the higher resolution of a single shot exposure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Louis, You get a .MPV file which opens in PS 6, it can then be saved as a .Tiff, .JPEG or a photoshop file. It does not extract a .Raw file.   A Tiff file will provide the most detail but also consume the most memory!   I am not sure if LR will open it or not.  It probably will but as I don't use LR I am unable to check it for you.   Panasonic claim that these files will print up to European A3 size. Probably will if viewed at proper A3 distances.  Certainly 12' x!0" should be fine if the chosen frame is exposed and focused correctly.   I hope that this may help a bit.