Is the T quicker than the X1?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a film shooter with an m7 (or others cameras) using an hybrid workflow. 

Specially when traveling I find useful the have the x1 (my only digital) beside the m7, for instance I have an 100 iso film and need to take a few shots indoors at 800 or more.

It works quite well, the x1 is small enough to have a place in the bag. Not my main camera but a good complement top it.

But there are two limits, one is the single lens 36 equivalent, not a big issue because the 35 is 70% of my shooting, but that 30%...

Bigger limitation I find is the slowness of the camera even in all manual preset (I'm shooting more than 40 year manual cameras, I dare to say I have experience!) I miss many shots because of that. 

It's enough a second or even less for people to look in a different direction, somebody else enter in your frame or change expression...

Realizing that the X1 is more than four year old I'm thinking if the T could be quicker. Of course I can test it in a shop but up to my experience a few minutes in a shop are always different the a real life experience...

I'll appreciate comments if anyone made that switch from an x1 to a t, thanks

robert

PS: by the way my wife is a DSLR shooter and would like to have a smaller camera for a daily use so the new D-Lux with m4/3 sensor could come into the equation...

Edited by robert blu

The 'T' focuses quicker than the X1 but currently there's only one AF 'T' prime lens i.e. 23mm f2 - with a faster aperture than the X1's 24/2.8. The 'T' is a larger camera than the X1 or the X2 and you'd need a 'T' zoom lens for your 30% non-35mm (ish) use … or alternatively a Leica M - Adaptor T (code 18771). 

Mike Evans' excellent Leica 'T' review includes using M lenses via the 'Leica M - Adaptor T' http://macfilos.com/photo/2014/8/26/review-leica-t-a-diligently-polished-performer

Another alternative to consider is the X Vario which is slightly larger than the 'T' but less expensive - and currently there are some very good XV discounts available.

I have all three and each has it's specific use. The most versatile is the 'T' because it can be used with virtually any lens via adaptors. I use the 'T' with its 23mm AF lens and SF24D flash in total darkness for a specific project - when its AF still functions and focuses quickly. The XV is my preferred 'macro' tool - it gives superb results with Leitz Elpro lenses. And the X1 is a pocketable multi-purpose go-anywhere camera - and can also be used in total darkness with the SF 4D flash - but the focus is slower in darkness (with AF assist) compared to the 'T'.

Another option might be a Ricoh GXR with an M module … there were and maybe still are some good deals available … it's slightly bigger than an X1 and smaller than a 'T' and XV.

Ref your X1's slow focus - are you using the latest Firmware 2.0?

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Thanks for your answer. interesting. The idea could be the T with its 23 F2 of which I read excellent comments and I could use, I thin with the OVF of the X1 which I have, Eventually later via adaptor one of my  other lenses, I have two 35 and two 50  but of course this means   T + 23 +EVF + lens adapter...hmmm getting expensive but interesting...

First thing try it in a shop...than think...than...

robert

PS: yes, I have Firmware 2.0 

PS n°2: of course if one day Leica would make a 35 (50EQ) prime for the T...

Edited by robert blu