The next speculation

jaapv

I think they will split the M into two or possibly 3 levels of function. A Classic (M60 like, no screen), Regular (with autofocus?), and Movie (with IS) - 3 price points. Each will have an EVF built in to the OVF, still a mechanical rangefinder but with an EVF overlay that mechanically slides in-front of the OVF view (Fuji does this).

Otherwise the sensor and processor will be the next iteration, but no one will care too much about that in this kind of camera.

Prices will be lower than expected. Perhaps in the Classic case significantly lower.

I think there should be 3 versions. M60, Regular and Monochrome. I do not have any interest in a version with a built in EVF, it's a Rangefinder camera if I wanted an EVF as a primary viewfinder I'd use Leica lenses on a Sony A7.

I have 3 simple requests for the next M.

Better sensor (resolution and high ISO noise)

Better external EVF

Fix the lock up issues.

Most of all the sensor. I use the camera to take photos the sensor is rather important.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 1

The only thing that would make me consider replacing my M240s would be really significant improvement in the evf so that I could use 21 and wider + 90 and longer (M or R) without compromising on camera performance.  With the 240 + lenses from 28-90 and working in classic / RF mode I really don't feel that the camera could be significantly improved (I'm not that interested in chasing high or low ISO - what I have works brilliantly).  What the new camera will have to offer to make it tempting is a really significant improvement in the experience of working with an EVF (whether it is built in or not).  Full integration would be rather wonderful, but maybe not feasible without spoiling the RF that makes the M so unique.  If we have to stick with an EVF attachment, then we have to have high resolution, lag free / zero blackout performance + moveable focus point on Live View to make the offer attractive for me.  If Leica CAN pull it off, I will give it serious consideration.

• Like 7

I expect you'll be proven wrong on just about all counts, other than the fact that the sensor will be the next iteration of course, and even there you'll only be half right because people will care about it. A perhaps surprisingly large proportion of Leica users are photographers.

I was about to write:

"I would expect that the large proportion of Leica users that are photographers are doing fine with the current sensor."

but then I remember all the colour cast problems. Still, I look at it this way, the next M will be what the M240 was to the M9 - so improving the sensor and processor, well, no one should care about that because its the only thing that is sure to happen. What is more interesting is what Leica might do in an effort to try and sell more cameras to non Leica users.

It may be possible to miniaturise the pixels of the MAX CMOSIS sensor.

I was thinking more along the lines of the best sensor for the 50mm Summicron APO, the worlds sharpest lens needs one of the worlds highest resolution sensors.

If you don't want such high resolution, the M240 already exists for you.

Resolution is but one of many factors determining the quality of the end product: the print. And one of the less important ones at that.

Surprised no one has mentioned an automatic sensor cleaner. I know Leica said it was not possible due to the M240 camera size, but perhaps now they can incorporate one in the next M as we see Sony has sucessfully done it in the alpha series cameras..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think they will split the M into two or possibly 3 levels of function. A Classic (M60 like, no screen), Regular (with autofocus?), and Movie (with IS) - 3 price points. Each will have an EVF built in to the OVF, still a mechanical rangefinder but with an EVF overlay that mechanically slides in-front of the OVF view (Fuji does this).

Otherwise the sensor and processor will be the next iteration, but no one will care too much about that in this kind of camera.

Prices will be lower than expected. Perhaps in the Classic case significantly lower.

I honestly doubt this. They have filled the niches with the M:

M-A film no electronics

MP film their state of the art in a manual camera

M240 digital default

M-P upspec pro version

MM246 digital 

M60 for digital natives wanting the film experience? (And people who do crossword puzzles in pen and kick your butt in scrabble by using Latin derived 7 letter words on triple word scores)

what at is left is to just walk those forward with incremental improvements over time.

I think what you are really talking about is the Product roadmap for the T system. It is easy to imagine a T version with X like physical controls. You don't need the X and X vario just more body styles in the T. Those are relatively easy to do. Another version could be more rangefinder like with a built in EVF. It would be the same pieces just a different layout. I think a model with a hybrid EVF/OVF like the Fuji is possible but is more of a wish list. I think your hopes may be answered but it won't be a M it will be a T.

The key to all of this the T lenses which we have heard very little about. 

It probably will not be much different than the 240, but with an improved sensor and faster processing. Hopefully it will use the same battery as the 240

Personally I only want to see a few changes:

- Improved dynamic range

- 16 bit color

- Improved high ISO performance

- Improved white balance

- Better color science (no green shadows, color that does not gain saturation past 40% of luminance)

- Bigger shooting buffer

- OLED rear display (less power, sharper, better color etc)

Daydreaming:

- RGB matrix metering that reads off the pellicle or mirror block of the RF unit

- Second SD slot

- Thinner body

- Stripped down lower cost model without the video features, EVF etc that uses the same sensor as the new model or from the 240.

- Extended battery pack in the shape of a Leicavit.
- Lower price (LOL)

Edited by thrid

Frankly the only reasons I shed my M9 for a 240 were the shutter-winder noise and cracking/delaminating sensors.  Otherwise it was perfect for my needs, and none of the added features of the M240 matter to me.  If I didn't like using ultrawides or teles with a rangefinder I would've not continued using Leica's 40 some years until the M240 came along.  And it's not the resolution or refresh rate of the EVF2 that bothers me, it's the lag time between shots.  And that's not going to improve at least unless they go to an electronic shutter, and even then it's going to be longer (at normal shutter speeds) than with the rangefinder.  The fast response and lack of blackout is one of the hallmark reasons I still use a Leica vs a reflex. 

What I speculate the next model will have:  some incremental improvements in ISO noise and DR, and a few tweaked features, not enough to make a serious difference in 99.9% of photographers' output, but more than enough to give serial upgraders an excuse to do so.  I also speculate (with historical justification) that some current feature(s) of the MP240 will be deleted, so that Leica can re-introduce them on a P-model in a couple more years.

• Like 2

I also speculate (with historical justification) that some current feature(s) of the MP240 will be deleted, so that Leica can re-introduce them on a P-model in a couple more years.

Oh no, not again..that would be very obvious the third time.

The only things I wish for is the ability to move the focus point in live view mode, and to get rid of the banding at high ISO and also fix the green shadows. A stop or so higher ISO performance would be great too.

I will probably skip this camera completely however. I'm perfectly happy with the M240 as a color camera. And I know that the new M won't be anywhere near as good as the M246 or the Sony A7S in low light. And that is the only thing I currently want, as neither my MP or M240 is great in really low light. And I love low-light shooting.

Edited by indergaard

Since Jono is replying to this thread, we can securely assume that there are no pre-production cameras out there for reviewing :)

Hence, it is not around the corner....

• Like 1

I would like to see the following.

A PC socket (to use flash with the EVF) - would even be happy with a proprietary ETTL connector and a PC or 3.5mm adapter.

No limit on Bulb exposures - especially at higher ISOs

Better EVF - maybe just use the T EVF

Would like to see higher ISO - but would like to see a cleaner 6400 more.

Built in Wifi - and an app, mainly to access files quickly (to file, for photojournalists, and to tether, to show clients quickly) being able to shoot remotely would be cool too - but is kinda useless with no focus or aperture control

One last thing - would love to see the shutter speed thru the VF in manual

Doesnt even need to be numbers, just switch framelines from white to red at a user set SS

• Like 2

What I would find interesting in a new body, also reflecting a bit the roots of Leica:

Leicas are meant to be compact and reduced - so a combined RF with EVF would be cool, in principle the way Fuji did it with the X100. The hotshoe connection may still be kept. Such a hybrid finder may have additional benefits as adding a digital loupe to the clear view finder (I have no idea, if that is technically feasible) 

Leica are meant to be shot without flash - so a leading edge low light performance (A7s) along with the fast Leica lenses would be very intriguing. And to top it off, an in-body stabilisation (à la Olympus IBIS) one should be added.

Leicas are meant to be silent: How about adding a electronic shutter?

All of that must not increase body size at all. Rather, if they would find a way to make it smaller (up to the film camera form factor), I would really, really love it.