The next speculation

jaapv

Good question. I've been pondering this for some time.

I think that it is likely we will be offered a pretty mild upgrade. My realistic guesses are:

1) WiFi picture download & remote control borrowed from the T

2) Drop in minimum ISO - basic sensor improvement

3) Slight increase in the maximum ISO - basic sensor improvement + software refinement

4) Faster and lower power processor which leads to faster bootup/slight improvement in battery life- moore's law 

5) Bigger buffer like the M-P - sort of like moore's law but different

6) Frame line switch comes back

7) higher resolution screen

8) Improvement in EVF connections so that it can use the EVF from the Leica T rather than the old Olympus one.

9) Slightly improved dynamic range - sensor technology/process improvement

Less realistic:

1) built in GPS

2) Touch screen like T but with some buttons

3) Bayonet gasget presaging the introduction to weather sealed lenses.

4) More than 6 bit encoding - maybe a couple of electrical connectors and a smart chip? Enables more lens profiles/direct aperture readout. Maybe just a couple more bits for more lenses.

5) More grip on the thumb wheel or slight repositioning of it

Wishful thinking:

1) thinner and lighter

2) S and T type battery replacement

3) Hybrid Rangefinder/EVF sort of like Fuji.

Thinner and lighter with WiFi and all controls/screen on the back of the camera moved to an iPad app? ;)

Heh. You know that remote control capability is really good for selfies (and studio work - like the S).

What's up? Have you noticed that Leica doesn't have a selfie stick accessory for the M yet?  ;) That would have been a good one for Apr 1st.

No seriously, I think having the M go on a diet and trim down so that it returns to the dimensions of its youth would be good. M6 size? We all know how hard it is to get back to or stay our college weight as we age. It would make it compete more favorably with some of the mirrorless cameras coming up as opposed to just the bloated DSLRs. Maybe that is the purpose of the T? Anyway, I doubt that is going to happen. It is firmly in my wishful thinking category.

Ok, we have the Typ 246 now. Now we can start on the M (typ240)  successor. :D

I say about September/October (but I haven't got the foggiest idea really )

I bet we don't see a M240 replacement until 2016, probably at Photokina. Well I hope we don't, it'd be nice to be able to draw breath between purchases. ;)

• Like 5

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/235810-new-monochrom-merged/?p=2768340

IMHO the Monochrom M ( Typ 246 ) will be for sale around this time or al little later. I did not hear anything about the new color M, so I cannot say. I am not really awaiting the occasion, but a should be careful with that. Said that once before... 2016 will be my best bet.

Eh? What sensor that is as suitable for short register legacy lenses can you name?

It may be possible to miniaturise the pixels of the MAX CMOSIS sensor.

I was thinking more along the lines of the best sensor for the 50mm Summicron APO, the worlds sharpest lens needs one of the worlds highest resolution sensors.

If you don't want such high resolution, the M240 already exists for you.

Edited by Mornnb

The common misunderstanding: There is no such thing as a lens outresolving a sensor or a sensor outresolving a lens.

A better lens will always improve the result on a lesser sensor, a better sensor will always give a better result with a lesser lens. The APO Summicron 50 will give a marked improvement over the common Summicron on the M8 for instance.

The whole chain of components determines the outcome. One cannot isolate a single parameter.

Resolution is but one aspect of the quality of tha APO-Summicron. Not even the dominant one either. I would say microcontrast at sharp transitions is more important, but again, one cannot single out a solitary aspect.

• Like 1

It would be not only nice but also most intelligent if Leica could at some point switch to have a current Mono + color M in the same lifecycle at the same time.

A lot of people do use both a Mono and a color M next to each other which was paired with annoyances in the last pairing (Mono + M10).

This was one of the major factors why I kept stuck with the Mono + M9 instead of buying a M10, which I completely jumped (and don't intent to get).

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/235810-new-monochrom-merged/?p=2768340

IMHO the Monochrom M ( Typ 246 ) will be for sale around this time or al little later. I did not hear anything about the new color M, so I cannot say. I am not really awaiting the occasion, but a should be careful with that. Said that once before... 2016 will be my best bet.

There'll be no long lead time on the M246, I've been told by my dealer that it should be in and ready to collect by the end of next week.

• Like 3

I think they will split the M into two or possibly 3 levels of function. A Classic (M60 like, no screen), Regular (with autofocus?), and Movie (with IS) - 3 price points. Each will have an EVF built in to the OVF, still a mechanical rangefinder but with an EVF overlay that mechanically slides in-front of the OVF view (Fuji does this).

Otherwise the sensor and processor will be the next iteration, but no one will care too much about that in this kind of camera.

Prices will be lower than expected. Perhaps in the Classic case significantly lower.

• Like 1

I think they will split the M into two or possibly 3 levels of function. A Classic (M60 like, no screen), Regular (with autofocus?), and Movie (with IS) - 3 price points. Each will have an EVF built in to the OVF, still a mechanical rangefinder but with an EVF overlay that mechanically slides in-front of the OVF view (Fuji does this).

Otherwise the sensor and processor will be the next iteration, but no one will care too much about that in this kind of camera.

Prices will be lower than expected. Perhaps in the Classic case significantly lower.

I expect you'll be proven wrong on just about all counts, other than the fact that the sensor will be the next iteration of course, and even there you'll only be half right because people will care about it. A perhaps surprisingly large proportion of Leica users are photographers.

• Like 2

Haven't we had a thread or two on this before?

Oh  :p, since when has that ever held us back?

Here goes then :wacko: :

Given, Whether We Want It Or Not:

- Higher res, higher max ISO, wider DR.

- Better EVF (but not integrated).

- Better video (but what would I know - I've never used it).

- Faster processor, bigger buffer.

I Want + Ought To Be Possible:

- Near instant start up and wake up.

- No lock-ups (and no other occasional, unpredictable failure modes).

- No "Princess and the Pea" response to SD cards.

- Shutter speed display in OVF in manual mode (to avoid taking eye from OVF).

- Thinner, lighter body.

- Partial integration of Set and Menu (e.g. single Menu button access, but showing Set menu items first)

- Tethered shooting and direct downloading by cable.

- Easier recalibration of RF mechanism by user.

I Want + May Be Too Difficult:

- IBIS (and no increase in thickness).

I'm Not Interested + May Happen Anyway:

- Wifi & remote control. Probably won't happen without:

- First steps in AF.
- GPS.

In Your Dreams:

- Return to M3 size and weight (ROTFLMAO)