New: Leica M Monochrom (Type 246) Official Announcement

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd prefer two forums: one for whitter and one for squabble.

Ahhh, but from I can make out those that are so minded often seem to both whitter and squabble in the same post. By splitting the thread God forbid we encourage them to double their output. ;)

• Like 1

Ahhh, but from I can make out those that are so minded often seem to both whitter and squabble in the same post. By splitting the thread God forbid we encourage them to double their output. ;)

And how do we - the moderators - move the posts to the proper thread when we can not tell one from the other?

I'm with Jennifer.  I think the MM and M246 share more than they differ, vis-a-vis other models.  Seems to me a dedicated Monochrom forum makes eminent sense.

Second choice would be to have the M246 grouped with the M240.

What makes little sense is having the M246 where it is.

• Like 5

Surely Jeff and Jennifer are correct. The M-246 is to the M9M as the M-240 is to the M9. Honestly, mods, the right course is either to pull the Type-24x cameras together, or to have a Monochrom section. The former makes more sense from a taxonomical perspective, the latter from a categorical perspective.

Jeff - did you order yours yet? 

• Like 3

I think I'd like to see a dedicated Monochrom/B&W digital sub-forum, but putting it in with the M240 does also make sense.

After all what are we going to do when the M (typ 360) and then the Monochrom (typ 366) come out in one and three years respectively?

Regardless, can we please just allocate it somewhere soon?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeff - did you order yours yet? 

I did, indeed, John!  I think you and I see the photographic world in much the same way!  ;-)

Here's to a short wait for all of us looking forward to this exciting new camera...

• Like 2

Do people here know that at £5,750 the price of the new Monochrom M246 in the UK is over £550 more expensive than it is in Germany? Given free movement of goods within the EU and that the VAT rates are much the same (20% UK as against 19% in Germany) how do Leica UK justify a close to 10% premium?

Do people here know that at £5,750 the price of the new Monochrom M246 in the UK is over £550 more expensive than it is in Germany? Given free movement of goods within the EU and that the VAT rates are much the same (20% UK as against 19% in Germany) how do Leica UK justify a close to 10% premium?

The British have all the money.

That is indeed expensive.   I thought AUD10,500 was steep, although our GST is just 10% compared to your 20% so perhaps that explains the higher UK price.   Still no deliveries here (of which I am aware), and the local Leica 'Boutique' hasn't been able to confirm a date ... although rumours suggest the end of this week in some markets.

Wow - that $8970 (at today's electronic rate), considerably more than the $7450 list price in the US.

Wow - that $8970 (at today's electronic rate), considerably more than the $7450 list price in the US.

You should compare UK price net of VAT which is £4792. I think that is cheaper than US list price.

As for German price, I assume Jennifer is taking VAT into account so sounds like a genuine anomaly. Maybe the answer is to buy it from Germany - there is no downside to doing so.

You should compare UK price net of VAT which is £4792. I think that is cheaper than US list price.

As for German price, I assume Jennifer is taking VAT into account so sounds like a genuine anomaly. Maybe the answer is to buy it from Germany - there is no downside to doing so.

The price I quoted is inclusive of VAT in both the UK and Germany. The net price in Euros seems to be the same throughout the Eurozone making the cost of a M246 at current exchange rates £455 (excl. VAT) more in the UK than in most of the rest of the EU. So much for price competitiveness of the single market.

Interesting, Sweden falls pretty much in the middle between UK and Euro prices but with slightly higher VAT of 25%

Well I suppose therefore at current rates of exchange there's little point in buying a M246 from one of the UK suppliers given one can simply call a German dealer and have one sent over?