New: Leica M Monochrom (Type 246) Official Announcement

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apparently, having told it's main dealer network that the first batch of M246's would be delivered on the 7th May, Leica have now told them that what they meant to say was they were starting to ship from Germany on the 7th May..... So, sadly, no new toy to take with me to France tomorrow :(

• Like 2

I am going to let the first rush get over itself then sooner than later place a deposit on the M246. Big thank you to the guys who have posted the comprehensive reviews of the Camera. In the meantime have ordered the new Epson A2 printer which looks pretty impressive with the new Black inks.

BrianP

Apparently, having told it's main dealer network that the first batch of M246's would be delivered on the 7th May, Leica have now told them that what they meant to say was they were starting to ship from Germany on the 7th May..... So, sadly, no new toy to take with me to France tomorrow :(

I was talking to a UK premier dealer this morning (about an unrelated matter) and I think he told me he received a new Monochrom today.

The sensor performance of the original M Monochrom was very uniform, my speculation is that they were being "Cherry-Picked" for the best performance. This may also be true of the CMOSIS monochrome sensors. So be patient, my M Monochrom arrived 12/2012- a few months after the announcement even though it shared most components with the M9P.

• Like 1

There's no telling. When I put down a deposit on a Monochrom (several months after it was introduced), I was told to expect a four-month wait. But my dealer called two weeks later to tell me that it was in.

I think demand has probably already exceeded initial supply. I understand that all UK Leica dealers are "sold out" of what they're expecting to be allocated out of the first batch. Which I suppose isn't surprising if it's indeed true that the first batch comprises only 500 units for worldwide distribution.

• Like 1

...... and mine will be here 9am saturday morning   :)

.... actually arrived at 8am  :)

.... matt black finish all over is very attractive ..... I pondered on waiting for silver chrome but this in fact is very nice.

using the evf with B&W images feels very odd ..... and although peaking works fine I think it will be ovf for 99% of the time ...... unlike the 240 where it is on more often than not ......

off to take pics of our local church interior ...... always a challenge as low light even if sunny ..... that should test the high iso capabilities .....

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

.... actually arrived at 8am :)

.... matt black finish all over is very attractive ..... I pondered on waiting for silver chrome but this in fact is very nice.

using the evf with B&W images feels very odd ..... and although peaking works fine I think it will be ovf for 99% of the time ...... unlike the 240 where it is on more often than not ......

off to take pics of our local church interior ...... always a challenge as low light even if sunny ..... that should test the high iso capabilities .....

enjoy mate.......looking forward to seeing some pictures
  • Like 1

I think demand has probably already exceeded initial supply. I understand that all UK Leica dealers are "sold out" of what they're expecting to be allocated out of the first batch.

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. However, initial demand notwithstanding, Leica have a general oversupply problem of late (certainly here in the UK) so I would be very surprised if the new Monochrom is not easily available to buy from stock within a month or two.

.... actually arrived at 8am  :)

Congratulations: hope you enjoy the new camera.

Mike.

• Like 1

It's time for a 246 pictures thread?

Actually, the 246 doesn't really fit under the forum heading M9 / M-E  any longer. It's much closer to the M240 than anything else.

So does the M9/Monochrom stay with the CCD cameras and the M246 go with the CMOS M240?  Or will there be a separate heading for both Monochrom's?  That's a lot to sort out :)

• Like 3

Actually, the 246 doesn't really fit under the forum heading M9 / M-E  any longer. It's much closer to the M240 than anything else.

So does the M9/Monochrom stay with the CCD cameras and the M246 go with the CMOS M240?  Or will there be a separate heading for both Monochrom's?  That's a lot to sort out :)

I think there should be a specific Monochrom thread. A place were the usual suspects can whitter and squabble eternally over the relative merits of the CCD v. CMOS Monochrom sensor. ;)

• Like 2

I think there should be a specific Monochrom thread. A place were the usual suspects can whitter and squabble eternally over the relative merits of the CCD v. CMOS Monochrom sensor. ;)

I'm not up for that. I can understand the technical reasons for the CMOS based M246 having truncated and clipped images stored as a DNG; makes more sense than what Leica did to the M8 by crippling it with DNG-8. I can understand the need to bring the M246 to market, being based on the M240 and having features in common with it.

The M8/M8.2 was placed in a separate forum based on body type and operating characteristics. It probably makes the most sense to move the M246 in with the M240; leave the M9/ M-E/ M Monochrom in the same forum.   Most questions are based on using features on the camera; the M240 and M246 belong together. For shooting technique, the Lens forum would be appropriate to ask about using filters with either the M Monochrom or M246.

Edited by Lenshacker