Thoughts on the Fuji X-T1 and the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'll be taking some pictures at my son's wedding in a few weeks and I have been trying to decide between the Leica T and Fuji XT-1 as a back-up for my M and I'm leaning towards leaving the T at home.

Fuji advantages:

• Although physically they don't feel as well made as the Leica T lenses, the Fujinon lenses are still very solid, produce excellent results and are generally a stop or more faster.
  • The Fujinon lenses' anti-shake is far more effective than the anti-shake provided by the Leica T. This combined with faster lenses is the most compelling reason.

Differences but not important:

• The high ISO noise seems comparable for both cameras better for the Leica T in some images and better for the Fuji XT-1 in others.  Not much in it either way.
  • In tungsten or halogen lighting the Leica T renders a shade too warm while the Fuji XT-1 renders too cool.  The Fuji images need more adjustment but since I'm going to adjust raw files from either camera anyway, it doesn't matter too much.

Leica T advantage:

• As I get used to it I actually like the Leica T user interface a lot and I can customize it for the adjustments I need to make very easily.
  • Both the Leica T and it's lenses look wonderful, are a joy to handle and on the whole I like the way they render images slightly more.  

I'm not sure the Leica advantages outweigh the Fuji advantages enough.  I do know that either way I will be well served and I'm luck to have the choice.  But I would welcome any opinions.

The fix ups you apply between the M and the T will be more similar.

Yes the T is a pleasure to shoot. I relish that over the marginal capability advantage that I get with my other camera.

its your son's wedding, shouldn't you mostly let the pros shoot. Do you really need a backup camera? You're supposed to be drinking, making toasts, looking formal and shaking hands or something like that. :-)

• Like 2

>>its your son's wedding, shouldn't you mostly let the pros shoot. Do you really need a backup camera? You're supposed to be drinking, making toasts, looking formal and shaking hands or something like that. :-)<<

You're right.  This is an ongoing argument between my wife and me and probably with the groom and bride once they hear of it.  They do have a professional photographer.   I can't resist taking pictures too though and I want to take pictures before and after the actual ceremony and dinner as well!  Maybe I only need one camera though ;-)

Edited by vikasmg

With a bit of bad luck you will be missing on the few most important photos because you were taking a photo yourself at that moment. Or even worse, you're included on the photo holding holding a camera. Simply because you couldn't resist to take one yourself at that moment. I'd say, enjoy the day and leave it all to the one that gets payed for it. 

Congratulations on your son's wedding. ;)

Your photos will be more honest, more natural. The professional will take the candy ones.

Just take a few photos and don´t worry about back-up cameras.

Perhaps you should even leave your M at home. One camera - Fuji or T - and 2 lenses will be enough. Take the one with the interface, you know best.

Jan

• Like 1