New M8 user - some questions please!

Lewis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I finally got an M8 after years and years and years of wanting one.  It's not my first Leica.  I had a D-lux 2 some years ago but never really fell in love with it.  Since then i've had a plethora of various other cameras, ranging from Nikon FM3A's to Canon 5D's to Fuji's etc.  The one camera i've kept the longest is my ole trusty Ricoh GRD2!

Anyway I digress.  I took delivery of the M8 today along with a 35mm summarit lens (both used from a dealer of course) and I must say it's a thing of beauty.  I am new to rangefinder focusing so getting used to it.  I had a Fuji X100 when they first came out, and while not a rangefinder I enjoyed the way it worked.  However the focusing ability (or lack of it should I say) drove me mad and I sold it, vowing to go for manual focus in future.  So here I am.  Whipped off a few test shots tonight on the M8 and the results look good to me.  I have some questions which I am hoping you guys can assist with.

1.  Focusing:  I like to take landscape shots when out walking, how does one best focus as it's tricky to line up a distant tree in the rangefinder for example?  Do you normally just set it to inifnity and then stop it down to sharpen it all up?  I am after some tips and hints if at all possible.

2.  What's the best/fastest memory card?  I have a sandisk 2GB at the moment and notice it can be sluggish to write images.  I know the M8 isn't known for speed but is this something I can improve with a different memory card?

3.  I think there are a few specs (very light) on the sensor, as noticed the sky in a few shots has some light dots.  Is this something I can easily clean uising a blower and the normal 'sensor cleaning' method?

4.  What else should I check for to ensure the camera is operating correctly, it all seems ok so far but after reading about some of the issues that can occur I would like to be sure.

Thanks fellas.

Lewis

2.  What's the best/fastest memory card?  I have a sandisk 2GB at the moment and notice it can be sluggish to write images.  I know the M8 isn't known for speed but is this something I can improve with a different memory card?

All cards work more or less the same on the M8. See my tests here in comparison with the M240. I would choose a 8GB Sandisk Extreme 30 MB/s personally. Fast and inexpensive. A perfect march with the M8.

http://tinyurl.com/kp8qe83

http://tinyurl.com/8kmt7k3

3.  I think there are a few specs (very light) on the sensor, as noticed the sky in a few shots has some light dots.  Is this something I can easily clean uising a blower and the normal 'sensor cleaning' method?

Nothing special here. I use Eclipse for my M8.2 the same way as for other bodies

4.  What else should I check for to ensure the camera is operating correctly, it all seems ok so far but after reading about some of the issues that can occur I would like to be sure.

Check that your LCD is in good shape. Some of them have got a "coffee stain" that cannot be repaired by Leica.

Also try and determine the condition of your battery. ie. test to see if it delivers a satisfactory (for you) service span for a full charge. If your use is light and infrequent, one battery may be OK. Otherwise I suggest having a spare backup battery. Genuine one will cost you about $150 to $200, depending on where you live.

I took delivery of the M8 today along with a 35mm summarit lens (both used from a dealer of course) and I must say it's a thing of beauty

1.  Focusing:  I like to take landscape shots when out walking, how does one best focus as it's tricky to line up a distant tree in the rangefinder for example?  Do you normally just set it to inifnity and then stop it down to sharpen it all up?  I am after some tips and hints if at all possible.

Thanks fellas.

Lewis

Hi Lewis

For distant use the patch to “pop” a little.  For close sometimes rock body back and forth.

Take a quick photo to chimp for: depth of field, focus, composition, lighting, framing, bokeh.  Set lens and camera as required and, wallah!!

If you want to fully understand the M8 use this forum’s archives…over 300 pages of 30 posts each with numerous replies. A huge resource for which we are so grateful to Andreas.

Congratulations on a very reliable smooth camera.  Completely and utterly regarded by all who have used the M8; and still regarded so today.

Cheers  Dave S  :D 

So I finally got an M8 after years and years and years of wanting one.  It's not my first Leica.  I had a D-lux 2 some years ago but never really fell in love with it.  Since then i've had a plethora of various other cameras, ranging from Nikon FM3A's to Canon 5D's to Fuji's etc.  The one camera i've kept the longest is my ole trusty Ricoh GRD2!

Anyway I digress.  I took delivery of the M8 today along with a 35mm summarit lens (both used from a dealer of course) and I must say it's a thing of beauty.  I am new to rangefinder focusing so getting used to it.  I had a Fuji X100 when they first came out, and while not a rangefinder I enjoyed the way it worked.  However the focusing ability (or lack of it should I say) drove me mad and I sold it, vowing to go for manual focus in future.  So here I am.  Whipped off a few test shots tonight on the M8 and the results look good to me.  I have some questions which I am hoping you guys can assist with.

Thanks fellas.

Lewis

Focusing: I set to infinity, stopped down a little to F4 will give plenty of DOF with a 35mm Summarit.

Memory Cards: I tend to use Sandisk and PNY 8GByte 4x cards in all of my Leica's. I did some quick testing several years ago and found the fastest memory cards could leave some noise (banding) in the image. Some cards are better than others in this regard, but I ended up buying several of the ones that left the cleanest image.

Once you get used to the M8, a "service mode" was discovered and a forum member wrote software to take advantage of it. Please visit here:

http://m8raw2dng.de/

and read some of the threads on this forum about "m8raw2dng". The M8 is better than ever. Good time to own one.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gents,

Thanks for all the information so far, I shall have another trawl through the links provided also. 

Does anyone use large capacity memory cards, say 60G for example?  I figure raw files take up so much space that bigger is better in terms of storage. 

Re;  Focusing, I have been re-visiting some instructional videos about zone focusing.  I remember trying this with the X100 and it failed miserably, but I think with the Leica it will be more achievable.  Already I feel more inspired and excited to go out and shoot.

Oh, did I mention how lovely the build quality is?!  My only tiny criticism is that my rotational dial is a little stiff but otherwise it all works excellently.  I have to admit i've taped up the M8 and Red dot, mainly because I have been harping on about Leicas and their great expense for such a long time that the wife is well aware of their value, so hopefully this will subdue it somewhat (or at least that's the theory) and she won't realise what it actually is :D

Edited by Lewis

I use 8GByte cards in my Leica cameras- by the time it fills up, I'm ready for a battery change anyway. Even Raw-Mode used for M8RAW2DNG that's 250 shots, about time to swap batteries and card. With regular DNG, that's 800 shots on one card.

I have a 32GByte card, and 16GByte cards- just don't like to use them with a Leica. I tend to treat them more like shooting film, no spray and pray.

Edited by Lenshacker

32 GB is the maximum card size the M8 supports. 

Ah I see, that's interesting to know, thanks.

I guess an 8GB one will do the trick then.  I just currently have a bad habit of packing the card with photo's and leaving them on there for ages, really need to get my storage sorted out.

I have another question realing to lenses also.  IS my 25mm 2.5 coded??  I thought it was!  I was consdering going for a 28mm and returning the 35mm so as to allow for the crop factor, is there a similarly priced 28mm that's as compact and as good quality as this 35 I have?  I notce the trade offs for the cheaper lenses (if sticking with leica) is a higher F number.  I think from memory the 28mm elmarit is 2.8 so losing out a bit with this option.....hmmm.

I have another question realing to lenses also.  IS my 25mm 2.5 coded??  I thought it was!  I was consdering going for a 28mm and returning the 35mm so as to allow for the crop factor, is there a similarly priced 28mm that's as compact and as good quality as this 35 I have?  I notce the trade offs for the cheaper lenses (if sticking with leica) is a higher F number.  I think from memory the 28mm elmarit is 2.8 so losing out a bit with this option.....hmmm.

You mean 35/2.5 i guess. Mine is coded. Easy to check, just look for coding pits on the flange of your lens. As for 28s, you've answered your question actually. You won't find a better 28 than the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph for the same price and compacity.

Lewis, AFAIK all Summarit 35 lenses are encoded.

I think most if not all of the 28mm Elmarit ASPH are encoded too.

You can have a lens encoded afterwards. Cost by Leica is over 200 Euro, cost by independent technicians about half that.

I would not mind the 0.5 stop you loose with the Elmarit. Maybe you will be more bothered with the price difference. The Elmarit ASPH costs more than the Summarit 35.

When I want to get everything sharp (landscapes) I try to use the hyperfocal distance to maximize DOF. You can use the scales on your lens as guidelines. In practice I tend to use the lines of that correspond to one stop less than the actual diaphragm setting. e.g. for F11, I use the lines of F8 to get sharp results over the complete range.

Put the infinity mark on the corresponding line and you are ready... No need to use the finder patch.

Thanks again fellas.

So I have been testing my M8 properly this weekend and already have noticed a few issues (insert sad face here).  Firstly specs on the sensor.  I have given it a clean but was surprised to notice specs on the sensor this early.  Secondly there is the red line issue at ISO 640 and above.  What's the fix for this, back to Leica or what?  I like the camera so I am happy to keep it but it's tedious if I have to send it back to the store then to Leica if the red line issue is not a quick fix.  Advice needed please, thank you again!

There are so many posts and threads on the red line problem.

Summary: It is caused by cosmic radiation and it is not camera or brand specific.

You can either live with it and correct it in postprocessing, or send the camera to Leica to be remapped.

• Like 1

Hi Lewis

Cleaning becomes easier in time.  Maybe vacuum your camera chamber, to remove as much dust as possible.  The sensor will get dusty as soon as you've last cleaned.... :lol:

My 2 M8's require little cleaning now as time goes on.

Apropos, lines at 640 ISO....I've had lines and "dead" or overactive pixels.  Over a short time they have disappeared...I do the M8 firmware updates.  Somehow the sensor "fixes itself" why???? I know not why.  Both my M8's are sensor blemish free at the moment. Sensor faults are generally easily fixed in PS or LR.

The simple Leica system can be frustrating...but you drive the process, instead of the camera driving you, as most systems now.

All the best Dave S :)

Thanks guys. I called the dealer that I bought the camera from and they were very good. I am to return it to them and it will go to Leica to have the issue corrected. I'll be without it for a few weeks but I guess at least it will be right once it arrives home.

I am also torn between lenses. The 35mm summarit is excellent but I am used to shooting with a 28mm Ricoh GRD and previously 35mm on my other cameras. I find the summarit not quite wide enough so have been looking at the 28 elmarit. I know it's supposed to be a good lens but the summarit has glowing reviews so wonder if it would be a mistake to change it?

Also with regards to zone focusing the 28, would I get a greater range of focus (DOF) at say F8 than the 35mm set to the same parameter? I hope that's a clear question! :)

Yes DoF is wider with a 28mm lens compared to a 35mm at the same aperture and it would not be a mistake at all to choose the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph if you prefer its field or view (28 x 1.33 = 37mm equiv. FoV) as this lens is certainly one of the very best 28s ever made and is no slouch at all compared to the "king" Summicron 28/2.

Hi, Lewis, congrats on your 'new' M8 you have bought an exceptional camera provided that you treat it the right way and forgive it one or two little foibles.  If you're planning to shoot landscapes of black fabrics in colour you should probably use a UV/IR cut filter because the IR filter over the M8's sensor is quite weak and infrared wavelengths will bleed into your picture and produce yellow-green foliage and magenta (black) fabrics.  If you're shooting black and white then you needn't bother with a UV/IR filter.  The weak IR filter can be an advantage too as it allows pure infrared shots to be taken handheld.

Don't let the battery fall much below 2/3rds power (two lit bars visible) or you're likely to risk camera lock ups and you'll have to remove the base plate and replace the battery with a fresh one, which is the point when all of my potentially award-winning shots present themselves.

The M8 produces outstanding black and white jpegs straight out of the camera so you might like to experiment with that.

Personally I always shoot with -0.7 exposure compensation to protect the highlights and it's served me well.  I tend to try not to exceed ISO 640 because the pictures get a little noisy by today's ISO standards.  There are a number of threads here that demonstrate that it is better to deliberately shoot at too low an ISO and underexpose and then to increase the exposure in post-processing rather than use high ISO values when shooting.

Pete.

• Like 3

I always carry a spare battery with my M8...I have an original Leica battery and 2 spare imported ones. They all seem to work about the same for me and don't last very long but they are cheap enough to buy so it's not a problem to keep a couple of extras on hand.

I find the .jpeg's out of the camera are outstanding expecially if you shoot B&W without the UV/IR filter attached. It has satisfied my lust for a MM at the moment...:)