Thinking of taking the plunge...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agreed, the M8 adds some cost by the need of using filters. Although... you seem to like the Monochrom, so why not use the M8 as your monochrom for a while?

No need for filters then and you can get over your other issues...

The inaccurate frame lines is a known issue, with all rangefinders, but no big deal for me. As long as I do not accidentally cut of some of the shot I want to take, I am perfectly happy with cropping a bit in post to get it perfect.

Even on a DSLR it is hard for me to frame accurately in the rush to get the decisive moment...

The WYSIWYG issue is harder to come by. It invites you to think more about a shot before you take it. In my case, it helps to improve my creativity, but I can imagine this will take time.

If you use the M8 as B&W camera. Put the Color saturation on Black and white, then shoot DNG + JPeg Fine. This gives you a monochrome preview on the LCD, but the RAW still contains all color info in case you want to use it. In most cases the JPeg out of camera will be hard to improve starting from the RAW file because the M8 is very good at that.

No issue with focussing in my case. You know there are two ways to use the focus patch? Either 'fix' the broken vertical lines going through it, or match the double image you get in it when not in focus.

Be careful to not put your finger over the second small window of the finder! That will make focussing impossible.

And in daylight there is always zone focussing. 

The noise...yes, it sounds horrible but I found that bystanders do not hear it as I do when holding the camera to my eye. To a bystander the noise is less disturbing than the clack of a DSLR.

Try it yourself. Take 2 m distance and ask someone else to take a picture.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the encouragement I'll keep the camera, but will return the lens and exchange it for something which will probably match the finder on the M8 a little better.

Next challenge... I noticed when I stopped down for a few shots at the weekend that there was crud ALL OVER the sensor. I used a rubber blower to get most off, then used a vey soft brush to wipe some more stubborn spots, and this was pretty successful. Bolstered by this success, I repeated the brushing to try to get rid of some other marks near the corners, and to get in there I used a (very light) rotating action with the brush, and have now made some really bad marks on the sensor. What an idiot. I'm hoping it's oil that's been picked up by the brush at the edges of the sensor, but I guess I'll have to wait and see when the alcohol-based cleaning kit arrives from Amazon in a few days. So.. there's a chance that I might have damaged the sensor and will be forced to keep the camera no matter what! Trying to be optimistic, in fact I mostly shoot at f4 or wider and the marks aren't apparent at those apertures. Do any of you know if they'll be more apparent with a 28mm at f4 than with a 50mm at f4?

Here's a few test shots from the weekend...

LeicaKings.jpg

LeicaCorner.jpg

LeicaGrass.jpg

LeicaGeese.jpg

• Like 1

Al, you are taking great pictures.  Rather excellent. The M8 and you work together superbly.

You should know to use sensor swabs and  eclipse, or isopropanol (100%). Always use the blower, and keep away from brushes...they drop more lint than they pick up.

cheers Dave S :lol: