Noctilux f/0.95 or Summilux 50 ASPH or both?

Jennifer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

http://leicarumors.com/2015/06/29/additional-information-on-the-rumored-new-leica-noctilux-lenses.aspx/

"Leica Noctilux M 50mm f/0.95 lens update: improved image quality over the current Noctilux, Apochromatic lens, new coatings, updated lens design"

In fact, they are thinking of using carbon composite for lighter weight. Size might stay the same, but weight might be reduced a little bit. Then 20k is not to far-fetched for such. :D

from article

"There is still a very good chance that one of the new Noctilux lenses will be designed for the Leica T system."

talk about exploring a niche, all 400 people in the world who's bought a Leica T will surely consider it though 

... and the subject 

Interestingly taken at f/2.8, so could it have been taken with any other 50mm?

You do not know the Lightroom Error when shooting lenses below 1.0? It always displays wrong Aperture numbers when shooting with 0.95... all of my shots are made @ 0.95

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I consider myself a 'street' photographer.  I used my 50mm Summilux f1.4 in trade on a new Noctilux-M f0.95 lens.  Now I have only the M 240 body and the Noctilux to work with.  The Noctilux is noticeably heavier than the Summilux and, simply, the Noctilux is bigger in diameter and is more noticeable (by your potential subjects) than the Summilux.  You will want to shoot at f0.95 as much as you can probably, and focusing the Noctilux accurately at f0.95 is really difficult unless you're using a tripod.  You will, I predict, have to use 'live view'  or the EVF2 attachment - which I don't own - to focus the Noctilux accurately at f0.95.  I've always been concerned about my camera being stolen.  Now that I have the Noctilux attached, I'm even more concerned.  That being said, I'm absolutely tickled with both my M240 and the Noctilux as a package.

• Like 1

It will always be a challenge hitting focus at f/0.95 on an OVF--why bother at apertures smaller than f/2? It's really a beast to hold for any length of time and remains something I'd rather rent for the few times in the year I might need it rather than expend capital buying one--these things aren't "investments" unless they offer a return and few here are working professionals. I'm a great admirer of Thorsten von Overgaard's work and in his hands, the Noctilux shot wide open does sing. But looking closely at the images from a purely technical perspective, focus is frequently just a touch off (still far better than any of us can do).

Is the "atmospherics" of the image worth the cost? That's the real question for the end-user.

From a purely financial standpoint, this Noctilux version has already shown its weakness in retaining value and will continue to decline once a successor appears. 

• Like 2

I must have missed the rumor, is there a new Noctilux coming? Why?

Rumor sites tout a design refresh in the offing, that purportedly saves weight by using a composite or carbon fibre shell, improves the coatings, boosts wide-open resolution and adds APO correction. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/29/2015 at 4:53 PM, shootinglulu said:

A pro Leica user told me that she had tried the Noct 0.95 and found it to be a rather fur coat and no knickers kind of lens. She much prefered the 50 Lux asph.

Just reading this old thread about the Noctilux 0.95 being compared to a "fur coat and no kinkers kind of lens". Can't figure out if that's a compliment or not.