Noctilux f/0.95 or Summilux 50 ASPH or both?

Jennifer

More

ISO 6400

ISO 10000

The last image is the noisiest one, but that's mostly because the exposure is off. It's over-exposed/pushed, and appears brighter than the actual scene. Normally I would dial this down about a stop so the image would look properly exposed, which would get rid of a lot of the noise.

So I really can't listen to your last statement regarding not usable results above 1600 ISO on the Monochrom.

I can understand if you print wall-size "fine (f)arts", but then, you are - in my opinion - using the wrong camera in the first place, and also the wrong lens (Noctilux). And you need a tripod so you can shoot at base ISO.

Edited by indergaard

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I guess what you consider okay and what I consider okay are completely different..........and that's okay 

I too have many many examples of pictures that I have taken with MY Leica gear with ISO above 1600 and IMOHO.....Krap with a capital K. I have no idea about film (before my time) but I personally just cant stand looking at pictures with 100% noise which your two examples show.

Back on track with the original question about the Noctilux 0.95 did the young lady Jenifer sell it already or has one kept it for further use.

A few folks on here have raved about the 50 APO and I see there are a bunch of them for sale on ebay for around 6k when 6 months ago you couldnt find one anywhere and if you could it was going for 10k the same as the 0.95. The next time I am in Scotland I will pop in and have a look at one of those puppies and see how it compares with my 0.95 :)

I guess what you consider okay and what I consider okay are completely different..........and that's okay 

I too have many many examples of pictures that I have taken with MY Leica gear with ISO above 1600 and IMOHO.....Krap with a capital K. I have no idea about film (before my time) but I personally just cant stand looking at pictures with 100% noise which your two examples show.

Back on track with the original question about the Noctilux 0.95 did the young lady Jenifer sell it already or has one kept it for further use.

A few folks on here have raved about the 50 APO and I see there are a bunch of them for sale on ebay for around 6k when 6 months ago you couldnt find one anywhere and if you could it was going for 10k the same as the 0.95. The next time I am in Scotland I will pop in and have a look at one of those puppies and see how it compares with my 0.95 :)

"young lady Jennifer" now I love you, it's a hell of a long time since I've been called that by anyone ;)

Now, flattery apart, no I haven't sold the Nocti nor will I for a good few months to come. I'm going to keep all three 50's, calmly assess them all to decide which if any I really want to sell, though I can't imagine I'd ever dispose of my APO, it's quite exceptional and I absolutely love it, and furthermore I'm greatly intrigued to combine it with the new Monochrom out tomorrow.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Both shot with Noctilux 0.95 one on MM the other on M240

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

"young lady Jennifer" now I love you, it's a hell of a long time since I've been called that by anyone ;)

Glad I made somebody's day today............ :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now, flattery apart, no I haven't sold the Nocti nor will I for a good few months to come. I'm going to keep all three 50's, calmly assess them all to decide which if any I really want to sell, though I can't imagine I'd ever dispose of my APO, it's quite exceptional and I absolutely love it, and furthermore I'm greatly intrigued to combine it with the new Monochrom out tomorrow.

Hi Jennifer,

You've acquired an impressive selection of lenses over the 6 months or so :) I would love to see some of the work you have produced with your investments - do you have a website or flickr account somewhere that I could view?

Hi Jennifer,

You've acquired an impressive selection of lenses over the 6 months or so :) I would love to see some of the work you have produced with your investments - do you have a website or flickr account somewhere that I could view?

I have a Flickr account but very little uploaded I need some time away from work to create some catalogues and upload them ............. that I'm intent on doing though, I fear, the results may well betray my lack of skill

I have no idea about film (before my time)

But surely you have visited one or the other museum. Otherwise you are depriving yourself. I am fortunate to live in a city with wonderful photography exhibitions, and admiring the work by photographers like Koudelka, Bresson, Winogrand and the likes has reminded me how absurd this recent obsession with high ISO and low noise has become.

At any rate it is everyone's personal choice what ISO is acceptable. I have two young children and I like both of them being recognizably in focus, so I have learned that my Noctilux is not the silver bullet for low light photography. I use it more as a stylistic choice, often stopped down for its rendering.

• Like 5

I urge you to check out some of the most famous and iconic photography work. Sadly though, mostly all of it was captured on film. And there is grain. But the beauty of these images are in my opinion still not replicable with digital. I believe the new Monochrom Typ 246 will help you get cleaner images, as it offers about 1.5 stop better iso usability.

• Like 1

It's nice to look past the noisy picture to see the content of it. It's also liberating at time to not constantly reminding yourself to keep the ISO below a said level. But certainly depending on the intended goal... I can't never see myself getting both the APO and Noct at the same time, already struggle to get the APO as is :D. But I do enjoy some of the pictures I see here. Do post some pictures Jennifer :D

My Noctilux 0.95 arrived this morning. First impressions were that it is an amazing piece of engineering and I can see why it will work well in very low light. It is heavy which is hardly a surprise. Focussing is straightforward in normal light. I have yet to try it when light is low. I took some test shots and it is simple to get incredible bokeh. When I work out how to share them with you then you'll be able to see what I took. :unsure:

I amassed nine 50 mm M lenses (Summarit-M 50 mm, Summilux-M 50 mm Asph, Elmar 5 cm 1:3.5, Elmar 50 mm 1:2.8, Noctilux-M 50 mm Asph, Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50 mm Asph, Summarit 5 cm 1:1.5 (LTM), Summarit 5 cm 1:1.5 (M bayonet), Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph, by order of acquisition)—and I cannot part with any of them. The one I feel like selling is the georgeous Summilux ... but then, I'm afraid I'm going to regret as soon as I'd let it go.

The two lenses I am using the most are the Noctilux and the Apo-Summicron on the M (Typ 240) and the Elmar 50 mm 1:2.8 (1966 vintage) on the M-A. The Summilux used to be my most-used lens but isn't anymore after I got the Noctilux and Apo-Summicron pair. These two don't compete but complement each other. I most definitely won't get rid of any of them ... any other lens but not these two.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I got the Noctilux and Apo-Summicron pair. These two don't compete but complement each other. I most definitely won't get rid of any of them ... any other lens but not these two.

+1

I don't have that Summeron yet but I hear a lot of you folks raving about it, so like I said before I will try one out and if it is as good as you say I will pop one in my bag :)