M8: Living with a vertical line... Does it gets worst?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've never heard of anybody being charged for sensor remapping, but there could always be a first... After all, it is just running a remapping program over the firmware. If the number of affected pixels exceeds the maximum the sensor will be replaced. In that case you won't have to specify a CLA and leatherette, as it will be done automatically.

Jaap, there are only 2 dead pixels so I guess the remapping will be in order. I asked (NJ) if the Leica name can be engraved on top but they say it can only be done in Germany so I am thinking to send it there and get the whole treatment at once. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all and hi from a new member on the forum.

My M8 has some 15k actuations, had no problems apart from three lines and some four-five stuck pixels. Not very complex to map outon software,

but wanted to get a nice professional RF adjustment unlike mine, and a bit of checkup.

Sent my M8 18 Aug for repair to Leica Germany.

Package was sent by DHL on 18th, accepted according to DHL on 21st,

got e-mail confirmation of arrival on 27th, received estimate on 4th Sept.

Estimate was:

Necessary labour costs: 2.3 HRS * 149.00 EUR =  347.62 EUR

repair: pixel/line fault on image adjust sensor adjust range finder adjust range finder clean range finder adjustment of all parts cleaning and end control

Total necessary labours: Net value: 347.62  +VAT.: 66.05 = 413.67 EUR

So this is the price now for line mapping + complete adjustments. A bit steep, but we will see.

Delays are a bit long-ish though. Paid same day, on 11th Sept status changed to "In repair", and now, almost  month later, I still have no camera

and have to use my CL instead.

• 4 months later...

Try this - it worked on my M8.2 that had a vertical line of stuck pixels.

Whilst researching the internet for a hot pixel cure on a DSLR I found this:

Set the camera to the B setting. Make an exposure for at least 30 seconds and repeat for 3 times. I did this on my M8.2 and the line had disappeared and all was as it should be again. I don't know how it works but it sorted my camera - it could have been a fluke but at least it's worth a try !!

PS: I did this without a lens so the sensor was flooded with light.

Paulmac,

I know this an old post but seems like I missed your reply a few months ago, thanks for your recommendation. Well the dead pixel problem suddenly -and mysteriously- disappeared by itself, I don´t know how but the last months all the pictures has come hot pixel cured (?) Anyway, I just did your procedure just to be safe. Weird!! 

• Like 1