New Monochrome to be Announced Next Week (End of April)

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is certainly nothing wrong with the current MM.  However, I may be tempted to upgrade as my MM has been sitting with Leica waiting for a corroded sensor to be replaced.  While Leica will replace it, it seems there is a shortage of sensors and so I have been and continue to be without the camera.  One wonders if the sensors for th old Mm will always be in short supply.

http://lavidaleica.com/content/new-leica-m-monochrom-weekend

If, as it says, the launch is going to be at the Leica store Los Angeles, I suppose that would account for the embargo until 15:00 BST

I guess given the authentic appearance of that advertisement it is for real.

Damn now I have to find another $7000.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the current MM.  However, I may be tempted to upgrade as my MM has been sitting with Leica waiting for a corroded sensor to be replaced.  While Leica will replace it, it seems there is a shortage of sensors and so I have been and continue to be without the camera.  One wonders if the sensors for th old Mm will always be in short supply.

The MM is wonderful but i would not go as far as saying there is nothing wrong.

I find some " blooming " aroud very small details wich are very white or overexposed, like hairs.

This sometimes gives an artificial effect i don't like.

Otherwise i am very happy with it but there is still room for improvements.

It will be interesting to me to see how much the new Monochrom punches above its megapixel weight due to lack of Bayer filter, and how much more a M240 "based" B&W sensor can achieve over the M9 based B&W sensor.

The sensor on the M240 seems so optimised that I think it can record more resolution than other 24mp cameras that I have tried, and I'm not sure that's just down the M240's lack of AA filter.

Edited by Jon Warwick

Leica Germany communicated today that they have no ETA on my replacement sensor.  Maybe the new sensor comes with a replacement body!  But seriously, the camera has been at Leica for two months, and frankly if they can't replace the sensor in a reasonable period then they have sold me something that is not fit for purpose.   :)

Edited by wattsie

New MM is Pretty much M-P without Bayer mask and without top plate engraving, I would expect short time between launch and first deliveries. Only thing that sucks, same as M 240, is poor EVF implementation, otherwise masterpiece.

Even Leica branded yellow, orange and green filters in 39 and 46mm size are now offered (not that I need any).

New MM is Pretty much M-P without Bayer mask and without top plate engraving, I would expect short time between launch and first deliveries. Only thing that sucks, same as M 240, is poor EVF implementation, otherwise masterpiece.

Even Leica branded yellow, orange and green filters in 39 and 46mm size are now offered (not that I need any).

You point what i was looking for, announcement of a better EVF with this camera.

Sad if they didnt.

Edited by biglou

Interesting that they don't offer a red one (my experience of a red filter with the CCD Monochrom is that it causes very significant focus shifts – so much so that the resulting image almost has no sharp plane of focus at all).

Newly announced Monochrom seem like a sensible product. Even the marketing – using a well known and widely respected black and white photographer like Axelsson (a real photographer's photographer) – seems spot-on for a change.

Where did you find that price tag?

Leica Mayfair is offering the "old" Monochrom

for GBP 6200 if I am not desinformed.

Best regards

Thomas

The Monochrom II is cheaper than the old Monochrom. That was confirmed to me as I placed my order an hour ago. Relatively quick delivery time too, hopefully by end of next week.