Leica Upgrade program for M9 ( corrosion of sensor)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As someone who saved his money long and hard to buy an M Monochrom, it pleases me that Leica will stand behind it. I actually just called them yesterday to talk about sensor cleaning (Mine is pretty dirty) and even though I do not have the original sales receipt and never filled-out the warranty card (bought barely used in August 2013), the New Jersey rep assured me that I could just send it in with the unfiled warranty card and they would still clean the sensor, and that while checking it, if it had the delamination issue it would be replaced.

I'm hoping it won't take three months (rep said three weeks), and more so hope they find a permanent fix other than upgrade to M240. There is magic in that CCD, though perhaps like all magic, its short-lived.

• Like 7

Bravo, Leica. I've been worrying about the future of my beloved M Monochrom. I'm not a wealthy person, and I sacrificed a great deal to buy this camera. The idea of paying the price of a car for something which might have to be tossed away after only a few years seemed VERY un-Leica-like.

I think Stefan Daniel hits the nail on the head - the quality and endurance of Leica products are the very reason we buy them in the first place.

Many, many thanks for this response,

Colin

• Like 18

After using the M9 for some good time now, I can hardly use any other M that does not has that fantastic CCD sensor inside! Knowing that Leica has found a solution to extend this CCD lifecycle makes me feel so happy and ready to look for a second M9 or an MM.

Thanks Leica for this formidable support but in order to outshine, I think Leica got to start thinking making its own sensors, relying no more on others :-)

• Like 2

If they are developing a permanent replacement M9 / ME sensor not affected by delamination ( and in the meanwhile replacing existing sensors for free) which this message strongly implies, will they also be developing a replacement MM sensor with different cover glass to permanently fix the MM's? It's nice that they will replace like for like at no charge but as an MM owner I would like to have a permanent solution rather than sending my 8k camera in for a sensor replacement every 2 years, free or otherwise.

• Like 2

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you Leica. Although I no longer have my lovely M9P, I do have the M240 and I've managed to collect quite a few lenses over the years. It is very reassuring and confidence inspiring to see Leica do the right thing. It makes me not only want to hold onto my existing Leica gear, but to buy more.

I'm certain the cost to Leica is not insignificant. I hope the returns in goodwill and new sales will make up for it many times over.