Lee GND filter system for Leica..............Okay or not??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had both the Lee Filter system (Original and now the seven7 I think that's what they call it and was wondering how everyone else in the camp get on with it. The original set that I had was from what I can remember okay with minimal vinagaretting whereas this seven7 kit gives me a whole bunch of vinagaetting especially with my 21mm lux.

I do like using it on the 240 as you can see the effect via the live view whereas on my M9 you couldn't so it was a wee bitty hit and miss

Thoughts comments from the landscape crowed ??? 

• 3 months later...

With cameras that can do bracketed exposures I can't think of a reason for graduated neutral density filters. Take three or four shots and blend however many you need to cover the contrast range or effect you want, not all bracketed exposures have to end up looking like an HDR image. The exception might be 'action' landscape pictures, where one exposure would be needed to capture a raging sea etc., but skilful editing can overcome most problems.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

• 2 months later...

My understanding of the seven5 filters is that they are designed for cropped sensors. The seven5 graduated ND filters have transitions over a much shorter space and would end up being overly "hard" for the full-frame M240 that I use. There would also be the problem of vignetting with wider lenses that seems to be bourne out from your experience.

I have the 100 series filters as I also have a Nikon system. I haven't had any vignetting problems with my widest lens (21SEM). I also use their circular polarizer with no issues.

Personally, coming from the velvia film era, I would prefer to balance the exposure "in camera" with graduated ND filters rather than try to take multiple shots and then create a blended HDR effect later. I don't think it creates the same image. Just my preference though.

With cameras that can do bracketed exposures I can't think of a reason for graduated neutral density filters. Take three or four shots and blend however many you need to cover the contrast range or effect you want, not all bracketed exposures have to end up looking like an HDR image. The exception might be 'action' landscape pictures, where one exposure would be needed to capture a raging sea etc., but skilful editing can overcome most problems.

Steve

Completely agree with this.

My understanding of the seven5 filters is that they are designed for cropped sensors. The seven5 graduated ND filters have transitions over a much shorter space and would end up being overly "hard" for the full-frame M240 that I use. There would also be the problem of vignetting with wider lenses that seems to be bourne out from your experience.

I have the 100 series filters as I also have a Nikon system. I haven't had any vignetting problems with my widest lens (21SEM). I also use their circular polarizer with no issues.

Personally, coming from the velvia film era, I would prefer to balance the exposure "in camera" with graduated ND filters rather than try to take multiple shots and then create a blended HDR effect later. I don't think it creates the same image. Just my preference though.

Where does that understanding come from? Having been on Lee training events,never heard it mentioned ,remembering also film users. There is a 'soft grad' option available if you think it would be better for you, although Lee themselves suggest hard grads for 35mm format. Drop them an e-mail and ask.

Guest JonathanP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve

+1 I haven't used my Lee system since I sold my 5x4 camera. Also I don't find that I need to do multiple exposures very often at all with the dynamic range available on the M240 if exposed and processed correctly.

Jonathan

• 1 year later...

Steve

I agree, though the thought of less time doing skillful editing is something I like in theory. That said, since moving from dSLRs to Leica M, the filters, lighting kit and tripod generally stay at home and my editing is down to what I can get out of the RAW file.

• Like 1

I agree, though the thought of less time doing skillful editing is something I like in theory. That said, since moving from dSLRs to Leica M, the filters, lighting kit and tripod generally stay at home and my editing is down to what I can get out of the RAW file.

I'm with you all the way on this, Dan. No filters of any kind and just what I can get out of the RAW image. Thankfully, we do not see much of the Lee 'Big Stopper' etc stuff from Leica users. In camera clubs the milky waves and long flowing water from filters have gone beyond a cliche at this stage. Everybody does it and it has long since ceased to be interesting. The same with tripods. I have them but rarely use them. Using a fixed mount such as a tripod is the antithesis of what a Leica is supposed to be; a light mobile camera which enables the user to vary the viewpoint at will.

William

Edited by willeica