50mm collapsible f2.8 Elmar with Type 240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of my favourite lenses is the 50mm f2.8 collapsible Elmar. I use this a lot with my M7, but in the instruction books Leica explicitly prohibits its use on the digital M models as, apparently, it impinges on the sensor when retracted.  However, I have been informed by one who should know, that it is actually safe to use this lens with the Type 240 and other digital models and that collapsing the lens does not harm the sensor.  Naturally, I dont want to learn the hard way that this isn't correct.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

It cannot harm the sensor, as the distance cannot be but the same as the distance to film. However, The camera mouth is a bit more narrow, so Leica advises to mount and unmount the lens extended, to avoid scratching the inside of the camera. Once on, it can be collapsed without problem.

Furthermore, there is a lip on the shutter mechanism which precludes the collapsing of the ancient 90 mm collapsible. (no problem with the 90 Macro!!)

See the FAQ, where this is explained extensively.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464102

• Like 1

As Jaap says the sensor distance is no problem. 

There is however only about a mm or so of clearance between the barrel and the camera innards at the sides.

If you have a nice firm 50/2.8 it will retract easily ...... if you have a wobbly one you need to take a bit more care .....

• Like 1

Ah, I could use some black paint for my life!

Rod, there are several posts about collapsible lenses here.  Many have posted that they wrap something around the moving barrel to keep it from collapsing all the way.

Regards to all,  Bill

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes - that was Leica's advice for the M5, as it had a light sensor swinging in behind the lens. I don't think there is any need for that with any digital M camera, except for the 90/4.0 LTM(up to 1969), 50/2.5 Hektor and Elmar 50/3.5 red LTM (1950ies), as long as you mount them extended. (actually I disregard that advice systematically and never had any problem but it is your  own (scratch) risk... ;)))

Wrapping them up rather defeats the purpose of a collapsible lens IMO.

• Like 1

Well, sure ... if you were to use some 1-2mm string, you could also attach the lens cap to it for a completely elegant appearance.

Sure, but with the Elmar-M collapsed I can slip the camera into my coat pocket, unlike for instance the Summicron 50.

• Like 1

I use the 2.8 / 50 for several years on the M9 and occasionally on the M240. When attaching it should be extended. There are no problems.

Same with all the collapsible 50s. Used them all on the M8, no issues there at least. Believe the collapsible 90s are an issue though. But, as others have mentioned, mount the lens extended and not collapsed. Used my 1930 Elmar on the M240, no problem.

Cheers, Carl 

• Like 1

The difference is that the M8 and M9 manual said one cannot use collapsible lenses on the cameras. It was only years later, when people turned out to be using these lenses without problems that Leica reversed that position. Hence the collapsing FUD.

It was really a silly situation. They were forbidding the collapsing of lenses, but they were selling the Elmar-M coded.

• Like 2

The difference is that the M8 and M9 manual said one cannot use collapsible lenses on the cameras.

I just went and had a look into my German M8 manual. It clearly says on p 18 or thereabout which lenses you can use, which ones you can not use and which ones may damage your camera. The collapsible ones are in the third category. IIRC, some addendum later specified that certain batches of lenses would not couple to the RF of the digital M-type cameras.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I did forget to mention that my lens on either the MM or the M240 is soft........................ it gives a nice picture but its defiantly not sharp

I did forget to mention that my lens on either the MM or the M240 is soft........................ it gives a nice picture but its defiantly not sharp

Don't confuse the Elmar 50/2.8 with the Elmar-M 50/2.8. The former can indeed be sightly soft, but the latter is a completely new computation and one of the sharpest lenses Leica ever offered.