Leica 1 (B)

Well, it is a (very) long time I did not use a Leica I, but I remember having made various satisfactory tests with either the Adox B&W (KB 21?) and the Ektachrome films. Nevertheless, the latter's colors were very pale and uncertain, understandably due to the non-coated lens.

Hope to have been of some help. Let us know about your results, please.

Pierre

• Like 1

In case you don't already have experience with screw-mount Leicas, loading the film takes extra care. The best way is to start by trimming the start of the film to the recommended shape as shown here: http://jay.fedka.com/index_files/Page345.htm

Apart from that, the biggest issue is, as Pecole said, the low contrast and flare from the uncoated lens. A good lens hood is essential unless the sun is behind you (the codename for the original is FISON).

I used to use an ultraviolet filter or (for monochrome film) a pale yellow filter all the time outdoors. For more realistic-looking skies in monochrome, switch to a standard yellow (Yellow 1).

I guess that nowadays it would be a good idea to choose the more contrasty colour films, and to use traditional monochrome emulsions rather than those such as Ilford XP2 that use the C-41 process. If you search the Film and Darkroom forums here you'll find more information.

Edited by giordano
  • Like 1

Learn how to trim the film leader so you load the camera correctly.

Remember to extend the lens and remove the lens cap before taking a photo! 

Don't point the camera for too long towards bright sun - you may end up burning a hole in the shutter. 

Wind the film on before trying to set the shutter speed.

That's about all the Leica-specfic advice I can think of.