Not 100% convinced the MM gives better B&W images than say a M240/Nikon

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had my MM for nearly a year now and although I do not use it as much as I did when I first got it I am not convinced that I can get better B&W images from it compared to my M240 or Nikon D4s

Right out of the camera they are matt gray and sure with a little help from Silver efex pro they pop but then so do my pictures taken with my Nikon or M cameras.

Does anyone else see/feel the same? 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Unfortunately I don't have the M8 but comparing my MM to the M or my Nikon gear I don't see the benefits of having a B&W only camera

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Your words Neil. You said you couldn't see the benefit of your MM, a B&W only camera.

That's what I said Marc but no need to sell it..............I like using it with my collapsible thingamajig and the Noctilux as it looks cool  

I disagree with your opening post.  The inconvenience of occasionally wanting to have shot a colour photo when I have the Monochrom with me (no difference to having only B&W in my film camera), and the different workflow without the tonal controls of colour adjustment in PP does not not compare with advantages of the output, even compared with my M240 images converted to B&W- increased tonal and dynamic range and increased resolution, filmic quality to the noise/grain, and file malleability in PP. 

Edited by MarkP

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sorry, the rig looks cool or the resulting images? :mellow:

What I mean is that the MM looks cool (looks cool) with the two lenses that I mentioned above hanging off the front of it.

That aside I still like using it but I still don't see where it takes better black and white pictures than the two cameras that I mentioned before...............I would post some examples but we cant post non Leica images so no point :)

Edited by NDWgolf

in a word,

Nope. :)

The only other camera that satisfied my B&W lust is the M8

I love the results from my Monochrom. The only thing that comes close is my S2.

My old M8 was a great B&W camera but the files had a unique look. Much different  than Monochrom files. Of course, I mostly shot the M8 without the IR blocking filter or with a 92 or 93 IR filter. In fact, if I didn't already have (according to my wife) too many Leicas, I'd look for a nice used M8 just for the IR capability.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Non MM pictures

• Like 3

Right out of the camera they are matt gray and sure with a little help from Silver efex pro they pop but then so do my pictures taken with my Nikon or M cameras.

Hey Neil,

It's certainly fine to like what you get out of your M240 or D4s better than from your MM.  Nothing at all wrong with that worldview.

The only thing I'll offer is that your comment about the MM files being 'matt gray' straight out of camera might suggest you haven't gotten a handle on post processing those files.  SEP is a great program, but it is not necessary to get terrific MM images.  Lightroom, or any other basic editing program, is all you really need.  MM files do require PP, more so than most other cameras.  That's inherent in their design.

Said differently, I think it's a mistake to judge files directly out of camera.

Ultimately, we're talking about very high-end equipment here.  Use whatever suits your needs and makes you happy.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jajer

What I said is fact......Files right out of the MM camera are Matt grey and need PP in any program whether it be SEP CS6 or Lightroom

Which is all fine as most of my pictures out of any camera iPhone 6 included get tweeted with PP

I use Y52. O56, and R60 filters with my Monochrom. They work on the Monochrom just like they work on film; the images have plenty of contrast. I don't mind letting a few pixels saturate, they would be white anyway. No problem with flat images. The non-interpolated detail of the Monochrom is amazing, something that you just cannot recreate in software converted color images.

Hi Neil, it was probably inevitable that you would arrive at this conclusion sooner or later.

It may be that the MM is rather a niche camera and perhaps not for everyone. Do you think

it might also be that your initial expectations for the camera might have been set a tad too high?

No camera is capable of working magic.....although, if that were possible, I believe the MM would

be the camera to do the trick. 

As regards your photos posted above, I wonder what you could possibly find to be

"not a 100% convinced about"....they are excellent b&w work, are they from the MM?

I have had my MM for nearly a year now and although I do not use it as much as I did when I first got it I am not convinced that I can get better B&W images from it compared to my M240 or Nikon D4s

Not me. And I do not like using SEP, except when I am in a hurry. After a brief affair in the beginning I moved on to do my own thing.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Neil, it was probably inevitable that you would arrive at this conclusion sooner or later.

It may be that the MM is rather a niche camera and perhaps not for everyone. Do you think Yes

it might also be that your initial expectations for the camera might have been set a tad too high? very much so

No camera is capable of working magic.....although, if that were possible, I believe the MM would

be the camera to do the trick. Pass

As regards your photos posted above, I wonder what you could possibly find to be

"not a 100% convinced about"....they are excellent b&w work, are they from the MM? You tell me :)

Hi Dee

The MM is a nice camera but I feel now its 100% niche........which is ok, its just never got my juices going.

I will keep it for the reasons stated above but when I go on photo trips I will leave it at home as I feel I can get the best out of both worlds by shooting in color and converting to B&W in post process as and when I feel like it.

Most of the older folks who are die hard B&W photographers from the film days (before my time) would probably love it............... but for me now after owning one I could take it or leave it.

Thanks for the complements on my pictures above

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use Y52. O56, and R60 filters with my Monochrom. They work on the Monochrom just like they work on film; the images have plenty of contrast. I don't mind letting a few pixels saturate, they would be white anyway. No problem with flat images. The non-interpolated detail of the Monochrom is amazing, something that you just cannot recreate in software converted color images.

I have only ever used ND filters on my MM so cant comment on that but makes sense that the out of the box files would/could be more contrasty