Accessing Menu to adjust time on broken LCD on M8

mnbozw

Note that I have an M8, not M8.2 or M8.u. Cameras are often revised throughout the run, I suspect this is something that Leica introduced during the run. It would be interesting to know at what SN it was introduced. 

The JPEG/DNG setting can be set from the computer tether. That I could do on the WIN7 machine with the old Capture software installed. If you do it from the Menu with dead LCD, the counter on top will change count to give some feedback of images that can be taken. Use an 8GByte card or smaller to keep the number below 999.

Edited by Lenshacker
  • Like 1

I've just updated both my M8's.  One was on early and did not show Advance.  Now both cams are at 2.024 and show same number of clicks as Lenshaker and Menos.

I wonder if a PDF showing screen images with number of clicks....?

But unfortunately no review.

Can't check focus, composition or exposure But if you are a reasonable photographer...perhaps these things don't matter...you get it anyway...just like using film cameras...

cheers  Dave S ;)

Edited by david strachan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I have the same problem, happy to find this post, since I need to just adjust the colour to High contrast BW and keep shooting forever. Would it be possible from any of you to upload the Leica Digital Capture software so I can download it? I don't have the CDs and box anymore. And since I dint know the version of my menu, its kinda hard to adjust it blinded.

Thanks a bunch !!!

eventually, my mail: krystof.korc@gmail.com

Hello guys, I have the same problem, happy to find this post, since I need to just adjust the colour to High contrast BW and keep shooting forever. Would it be possible from any of you to upload the Leica Digital Capture software so I can download it? I don't have the CDs and box anymore. And since I dint know the version of my menu, its kinda hard to adjust it blinded.

Thanks a bunch !!!

eventually, my mail: krystof.korc@gmail.com

Hi Krystof

I couldn't get Capture One to work on my Windows 7 Pro platform, even though it is meant to be XP compatible.  Lenshacker is smarter than me, who got the set button to work with the software.

I suggest you may have the earlier M8 firmware if you don't remember upgrading in the last year or so.

There is information in the preceding posts to allow you to reset the Menu to give high contrast B&W. You will have to do it by experimentation.  Just remember you'll be one less "up" click...see post 12 to 17 above if you are on preceding firmware.

Must get round to producing a PDF showing screen and button moves, for when M8 screens get the coffee stain...

Do the button thing and let us know how you get on.

All the best

Dave S

Edited by david strachan

Hi Krystof

I couldn't get Capture One to work on my Windows 7 Pro platform, even though it is meant to be XP compatible.  Lenshacker is smarter than me, who got the set button to work with the software.

I suggest you may have the earlier M8 firmware if you don't remember upgrading in the last year or so.

There is information in the preceding posts to allow you to reset the Menu to give high contrast B&W. You will have to do it by experimentation.  Just remember you'll be one less "up" click...see post 12 to 17 above if you are on preceding firmware.

Must get round to producing a PDF showing screen and button moves, for when M8 screens get the coffee stain...

Do the button thing and let us know how you get on.

All the best

Dave S

Hi, I have already ordered it from Wetzlar, which is unfortunately the only way right now, I will share a link with you all to download it eventually.

The process how to set to BW is described, but I can't by any means be sure that the desired settings are there, could please anyone write me button sequence to set:

BW

high contrast

medium high sharpening

Jpeg Fine

???

thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ref.: #27 Ict - correct. (;-)

Hello,  as a quick note on the old remote access/control program: ' Digital Capture 1.0'

Hello,
I want to point out an article  from the German forum (2011):
- ' See screen-dump as an explanation! '

As I described, the M8 does not even need a display.

The menu for the relevant exposure parameters are accessible with the remote
control program, Digital Capture 1.0 . (Source: Leica Camera AG - Downloads, software LEICA M8 ... until 2013?)

With Digital Capture the values are stored in the M8 in the same way as the entries in the SET menu. After the restart they are used.

Thus, one can define the "Film Properties" before using.

For safety, you can read the settings from the image data and check them. The exposure meter and the time setting dial can then be evaluated as usual. Batterycontrol and 'Remaining number of images' are integrated at the top of the cap.

DNG provided: Nothing more is needed for photographing '(at the moment:o )
Perhaps you need no repair?

Info:
- The M8 automatically detects the active USB connection - no display is required!
- I tested the programm only on XP.
- All sub menus must be accessed individually and set - to write the new parameters.

Maybe it helps further - Thorsten

Hello to all the professionals LEICA, I have a question, I possess a LEICA M8, would it be possible to have an expertise with a professional to estimate the price of resale, I do not find any more the invoice, I do not sell him, I want to know how much and the price.

• 6 years later...

I have a broke. display and try to do sensor cleaning, as follows. Can somebody check for me, as it does not work..

Camera on

press menu

press up 8 times

press set

press right 1 time

press set

release shutter (doesn’t do any thing)

I also tried with pree up 7 times, does not work either

Thanks so much!

Thank you, David. After charging the battery it still does not work. It seems there is a software error as well. Very strange as ‘set’ settings still work, e.g. changing ISO. And the camera works like normal. Maybe I should indeed reset the camera by leaving it off for several days emptying the internal battery, as suggested in another thread. This might even repair my lcd issue (completely white display or with some vertical striping)..

But I need the camera now. Found a work around for sensor cleaning - a long shutter time at least allows removing dust with a blower.

Thanks again!

8 hours ago, PeterKg said:

But I need the camera now. Found a work around for sensor cleaning - a long shutter time at least allows removing dust with a blower.

Just a thought. Use a locking cable release with shutter set to B. That way you don't risk the shutter closing while you are cleaning. Good luck!