Any reviews of the new T lenses?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find some reviews of the new T zoom lenses (11-23, and 55-135). I have found a couple of course from people who are close to Leica, but none from any other sources. 

Can anyone share any links, or their own experience with the lenses? Given the cost of these lenses it is a bit difficult to invest in them without having more information.

Best Regards, D

not much to say really..... not many posts as presumably no-one has anything to moan about ..... :rolleyes:

as brian says the wide angle is the pick of the bunch in terms of usefulness and image quality ...... I really can find nothing to fault it and it gives images that are as good as anything a Leica lens can produce on a T.

the long zoom is also technically super ....... just a bit big and cumbersome on such a small camera as the T ......

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find some reviews of the new T zoom lenses (11-23, and 55-135). I have found a couple of course from people who are close to Leica, but none from any other sources. 

Can anyone share any links, or their own experience with the lenses? Given the cost of these lenses it is a bit difficult to invest in them without having more information.

Best Regards, D

I have the new lenses and while I can't really do a proper review I've found both very good indeed.  The long zoom though is a bit problematic in lower light environments because the aperture is not particularly wide and there is no image stabilization on the camera or lens.  I'm trying to decide between the Leica T and Olympus E-M5II as a second camera with my M, to take with me to a wedding next month.  The few images I have compared and looked at at 100%, I like the T images a lot better than the E-M5II in terms of both colour and general rendering.  The one thing that's making me hesitate is that the E-M5II's image stabilization (combined with an f2.8 24-80mm equivalent lens) is quite a compelling proposition.

To get back to your question though, both the optical and physical the quality of the two new T lenses is wonderful.

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies. Having looked at some of the images from the tele zoom, I think they look very good indeed, but the lack of IS is definitely a problem for me as usually I use tele lenses in situations with no much light (indoor events).

The wide zoom is the one I am more interested in, maybe for street photography and to challenge myself to learn to use wide angle lenses in general. 

I have to say there is something about the Leica T images that I like, they look "sharp" to me and I like the colour. The closest competitor I can see is the Fuji XT1, which offers a wide angle lens with IS as well at much cheaper price, but as I said the T images please me a little bit more. I wish the Leica prices were a bit cheaper! :-)

Thanks again, D

There are many articles on the Leica T, including the new lenses, on David Hughes's excellent site www.soundimageplus.com. His thoughts on the T are very consistent with mine. Happy reading!

Andrew

Edited by Athornton
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the wide zoom and regard it as being truly superb. I did not buy the standard zoom at all when I bought my 'T' body and I have no plans to buy the trlephoto zoom either as I prefer using such as my 75mm, 90mm and 135mm 'M' prime lenses, which again work wonderfully on the 'T' with the genuine Leica m to T adapter. Don :)  

I have the wide zoom and regard it as being truly superb. I did not buy the standard zoom at all when I bought my 'T' body and I have no plans to buy the trlephoto zoom either as I prefer using such as my 75mm, 90mm and 135mm 'M' prime lenses, which again work wonderfully on the 'T' with the genuine Leica m to T adapter. Don :)  

Thank you Don, it is great to hear that you rate the wide zoom as very good. I will go and try it myself. Best Regards, D